[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Video Editors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: Screenshot_Sony_Vegas_Pro_v13.png (80 KB, 429x232) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_Sony_Vegas_Pro_v13.png
80 KB, 429x232
What video editor does /g/ use?
>>
Sony vegas
>>
>>51632780
Emacs
>>
Blender
>>
>>51633323
Literally the worst video editor
>>
File: 1448960891291.jpg (257 KB, 1523x899) Image search: [Google]
1448960891291.jpg
257 KB, 1523x899
>>
Sony Vegas. Been using it for 5 years, it's not perfect but I know it like the back of my hand.
>>
File: Untitled.png (415 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
415 KB, 1366x768
VideoPad right now.
it's not particularly good, but all I need to do with it is cut and stitch bits of audio/video together

it's Windows Movie Maker-tier easy to use, but actually useful for doing general editing
biggest issue is that it's shareware shit
>>
>>51632780
Premiere or Final Cut, but I'm certified with Avid software.
>>
>>51634154
You don't need to be certified to use software
>>
Sony Vegas for amateur footage screen recordings.

Adobe Premiere for professional footage.
>>
>>51634194
Thanks, I had no clue. I just don't use Avid because its my least favorite of the three.
>>
>>51632780
Kdenlive
>>
>>51632780
kdenlive
>>
>>51632780
Premiere pro. I work with it for a living. Whole adobe suite is god tier between each program. unbeatable.
>>51634154
Even avid users know avid is shit. We have an in house avid cert guy and he uses davinci resolve to edit.
>>
>>51634775
Any windows support?
>>
>>51634819
Dont use that shit. If anyone wants a free (as in beer not freedom you insufferable autists), try Davinci resolve lite. Only exports to 1080p, but its free, so fuck off you dont need 4k.
>>
>>51632780
Windows Movie Maker
Kdenlive for things a little more complex

I tried shotcut but it was a bit too scarce.
>>
>>51634857
That actually looks pretty nice.

Is the 1080p cap the only limitation vs. the Studio version? No nag screens or time limits or anything?
>>
any pros give some monitor recommendations? Using 2x 1080 and going to grade to some 4k setup soon.

Premiere / Vegas / AE
>>
Blender
>>
Shotcut.
Just werks.
>>
>>51635498
>Just werks.
I wish that was the case, but it crashes a lot.
>>
>>51635253
Where can you find kden for windows
>>
Sony Vegas, Hitfilm if I want to add fancy effects.
>>
>>51633020
10/10
>>
>>51634117
If you just need to slice video, you're better off with avidemux for everything non-wmv and machete lite for wmv.
>>
>>51635747
You don't.

That's one of the few reasons I have for having a small linux partition,
>>
Anyone used LIVES or Blender?
How is it?
>>
>>51635376
Premiere. it ingrates so well with AE its not even funny.
>>51635354
Not sure, but no, no nag screens. this is prograde software, all this other stuff (a side from premiere and avid) is prosumer at best.

Citation:
I work at a university and that other shit isn't taken seriously in a full production workflow. If you're just fucking around, fine. Even FCPX is pushing the boundaries now that they went full fisher price.
>>
>>51635376
Oh i misread the question. Idk, 1440p has always worked well for me and is a cheap middle ground. Ive done effects on r3d footage (4k or higher iirc) and never had an issue I couldn't zoom in for.
>>
>>51635933
only do this if you dont want to re-encode. Avidemux is great, but "editing" is not it's intent. You'll have to splice and append and reopen and open. its a waste unless all you're doing is appending a bunch of videos of the same bitrate and resolution together. at that point you might as well use MPEG Stream clip to batch that shit out.
>>
>>51635498
>>51635597
crashes a lot
It's utterly complicated for things beyond simple "cut/merge/convert/rotate"
>>
>>51632780
Lightworks
>>
>>51632780
The open source Pitivi just released the newest version, pretty much a major rewrite. It's not quite as fast as professional editors but its getting there.
>>
I use Vegas

What do other editors even offer that vegas doesn't? I've never found it lacking for features, are other editors just more user friendly or something?
>>
iMovie HD on my Mac. Never did get used to the new iMovie, and never sat down to learn Final Cut.

Openshot on Linux. Easy to get into, but lacks fine control ... or rather it does, but in the form, "You want color adjustment? give me a number." Want to learn Kdenlive, but never found time, same for Blender's NLE component.
>>
>>51636153
Other editors do things like after effects and premiere pro integration.
>>
>>51632780
Windows Movie Maker
>>
How do you guys manage large projects in Sony Vegas? I just finished a 25min documentary I made and it was laggy as hell when I was previewing it. No effects, just cuts and a voice-over most of the time. How I got around this: I finished ~7 minutes of the movie and rendered it, then did it again for the next 7 minutes. Then I just combined all the clips together. Is there a better method?
>>
>>51636907
Don't use a raspberry pi to edit video, grandpa
>>
>>51635354
>Is the 1080p cap the only limitation vs. the Studio version? No nag screens or time limits or anything?

From company's own press release, it sounds like it:

12.0:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/press/release/20150911-04

"Customers can get started with DaVinci Resolve 12 today for free and, once they start generating income from their creative work, they can upgrade to the extremely powerful DaVinci Resolve 12 Studio for only $995. Blackmagic Design believes this “free and paid upgrade” model is vastly superior to the “cloud” model for distributing software products because customers get to actually own and control their own systems."

12.1:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/press/release/20151112-02

"there is no monthly subscription, you don’t need to be connected to the cloud, and you don’t need to buy any proprietary hardware."

Whether product actually delivers or not, I dunno, but that's a pretty big slap in the face towards Adobe and the CC subscription model. Ballsy. Might even work, considering that the reason Adobe ever took off was because its products (due to piracy) were effectively free as in beer 20 years ago.
>>
>>51636907
Change default pre-render directory, don't use a potato
>>
>>51632780
Blender. I tried Lightworks for a bit but I found it confusing as all fuck and couldn't get anything done.
>>
>>51632780
Avisynth, kek

get on my powerlevel
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.