[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will we ever have a decent low power display technology?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 4243426_orig.jpg (71 KB, 419x565) Image search: [Google]
4243426_orig.jpg
71 KB, 419x565
Will we ever have a decent low power display technology?
>>
SED

no
>>
>>51630303
Never, 'cause normies won't understand that a display can do something and not another, thus won't buy it and make it fail.
>>
>>51630321
Can't they literally just advertise the phones that utilize them as longer battery life?
>>
>>51630349
No one cares about battery life anymore.
>>
>>51630349
I was saying that good low power display won't be able to handle some tasks and most of consumers won't understand why.

Let's say that and E-Ink screen with better resolution, refresh rate and colours is available. On paper, it's perfect for pure Office tasks (even without colours) and thinks like that, but 'cause it won't handle fast actions like games or videos it will fall. Only buyers'll be /g/entoomen (as a second display it's perfect) and some companies.

We can have less consuming screen (super amoled ones are pretty gud) but they will shit themselves somewhere.
>>
>>51630455
Then they could help the phones become thinner, they wouldn't need as much battery.
>>
>>51630475
Phones won't be much thinner 'cause 3.5mm jack. Wireless music stream is shit (and audio output on most smart phones is shit anyway) and thinner jack will break.
>>
>>51630501
>Phones won't be much thinner 'cause 3.5mm jack.
Apple's getting rid of that
Pretty soon everyone else will follow
>>
>>51630508
As I say, wireless music stream is shit and a jack port will be a huge argument to sell more.
>>
>>51630530

They'll use the Lightning port instead.
>>
>>51630544
As long as they don't sell a adapter 20$ (or better, ship it with the phone) it's gud.
>>
>>51630501
>'cause 3.5mm jack
not anymore :^)
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2015/11/apple-likely-to-use-lightning-audio-connector-for-iphone-7.html
>>
>>51630303
I'd kill for a phone with an epaper screen, or even laptop.

That would obviously require a specific UI so the screen doesn't spend its time refreshing and maximizes power saving, because even though modern screens can have framerates of 10 FPS with clean frames, well then suddenly the power needs are greater. And obviously, no video nor games.

But fuck, the battery life of this shit could be incredible. Especially since it wouldn't require an fucking octocore CPU with liquid cooled 16GB RAM, considering it wouldn't need much power to render relatively static frames.

But we'll never have that, normies wouldn't buy it, because they're too stupid to recognize true innovation, let alone identify their needs.
>>
>>51630685
Normies need to watch Nextflix and Let's Plays.
>>
>>51630303

Just dropped my Nexus 7 on the tiled toilet floor. Managed to survive because of some shitty ebay case I bought that barely lasted a year (magnets fell out, cardboard interior exposed). Will frame it when I get a new one.
>>
File: mems-vs-lcd-edit.jpg (86 KB, 970x374) Image search: [Google]
mems-vs-lcd-edit.jpg
86 KB, 970x374
MEMS-IGZO
E
M
S
-
I
G
Z
O
>>
>>51630563
>As long as they don't sell a adapter 20$
It's Apple, you seriously believe they won't?
>>
>>51630455
This.
Everynormie has a phone that charges in under 2 hours. Plus car charger and house charger.
>>
>>51631380
>literally a meme
>>
>>51632098
How so?
>>
>>51630303
It's probably invented and patented for 10+ years.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.