[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Zoho Mail - after 1 year of heavy use
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: zoho_logo.jpg (320 KB, 1108x1108) Image search: [Google]
zoho_logo.jpg
320 KB, 1108x1108
So, I asked around which provider should I choose a year ago. People said that Zoho is a good provider.

Well, my experiences are quite the opposite.
I had 4 heavily used accounts there for a year.
Note: These were not free accounts.

Pros:
> You get a cheap Indian ActiveSync/Office 365 kinda suite with mail. Where you can keep notes and have a calendar, and stuff.

And that's where the pro section ends.
Cons:
> The web interface is cheap, clunky, slow.
> There is a new web interface (beta?) that is also slow, but looks better (but usability wise it's shittier).
> IMAP is fucking slow. Checking out mails takes a solid 5-10 seconds, like the mail server got a 5-10k ping. It's unbelievable.
> Getting a DDoS every few weeks, that means you cannot reach your mails, write mails, anything.

Bottom line:
Maybe it would be a good throwaway mail provider for 1$ or free.
But doing business, or even just having a personal account is out of the question.
>>
>>51628355
Cons continued:
> Spam filter is useless. All the spam gets through, and legit mails always get filtered. No matter how many legit mails I put into Inbox / not-spam, it does not care.

FAQ:
> What clients you used to access IMAP
Thunderbird, AquaMail, Outlook 2016
> You live in a shit country
Well, it's fucking slow from my server as well.

tl;dr: It's a shit service.
Just cough up the rest of the money and pay for a proper service, or just host your own - if you can afford a private cluster of computers.
>>
Nice blog, anon. How do I subscribe to your RSS feed?
>>
Posteo.de is 1€/month, 4/5 bretty good.
>>
>>51628445
just hit the like button on my tumblor
:^)
>>
>>51628468
sounds good.
btw their site loads awful slow, is it better once you log in?
>>
>>51628777

Loads fine for me
>>
>>51628777
dem repeating numbers.

btw never mind that slow load, it was my net this time. but zoho is always slow, even from my 1gbps server.
>>
>>51628786
how long you have been using this service by the way?
I also thought about Fastmail, but it's owned by Opera, and it needs to be paid yearly.
It's okay for one account, two account, but when you have several - it adds up quickly.

Office 365 ... well, Outlook/Hotmail is shit, I don't think it would be any different. Gapps would be ok, but it's not that cheap.
>>
>>51628468
how can you add your Posteo to your domain?
I don't want to use their @posteo addresses....
>>
>>51628866

Around 6 months now.

>>51628898

>Can I use Posteo with my own domains?

>No. We are an email provider with a particular, privacy-oriented model – and this is not compatible with incorporating own domains.
>One of our emphases is data economy: we do not collect any user information (names, addresses, etc) of our customers.
>We always answer requests from authorities for user information in the negative. On the other hand, own domains need to be registered to the name and address of a person.
>If you were able to use own domains with us, this would affect the entire concept of Posteo: we would need to start saving user information for all customers who use their own domains with us – and to provide these to the Federal Network Agency to be provided on request to the authorities.

From https://posteo.de/en/site/faq
>>
I just dropped zoho after about 6 months of use. I kept running up against their imp connection limit, with just my phone and outlook...
I've gone with a dedicated server and zimbra
>>
If you want to use your own domain, Tutanota seems to allow it for their premium-plan.
>>
>>51629011
cheers.
and can I just use it as a plain simple mail service?

I do use gpg very rarely, but I am fine with hand-encryption/decryption, it's not a big task.
>>
>>51629011
ok I managed to add myself as premium, and found how I add more people.
but how do I add more domains?

like I want:
- [email protected]
- [email protected]
- [email protected]
- [email protected]
>>
>>51629091
>>51629228

I don't use Tutanota so I'm not familiar with it, but their FAQ should cover this stuff.
https://tutanota.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/666088-how-can-i-use-a-custom-domain-with-tutanota
>>
>>51629255
cheers.
I should read first before asking.
but the long FAQ scared me away.

well, I like it.
>>
>>51628355
Literally use cockmail and you will be happy.
>>
>>51629650
yeah but kekmails are pricey and botnet ridden.
cannot even comprehend how that works.

> choose us and we will sell your data
> don't worry, you will also pay more

yay?
>>
>>51629011
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand into the trash it goes.
after I added my accounts, set up everything, it turns out it does not support IMAP/SMTP.

I do understand why a company would offer privacy related features but to straight out kill plain emails - is just retaded
>>
>>51630025
*retarded

fuck red switches.
>>
>>51628468
Another posteo user here, satisfied so far.
>>
>>51630123
yeah OP here, I forgot to specify custom domains is a must.

so in the end all I have is self-host or fastmail.
that ended quickly.
now I am setting up my own server but fuck I am fine with paying for hosting... cannot believe there are no normal hosts anymore.
>>
>>51630152
I was thinking about doing the same recently, but for me the difference in cost in money/time to setup my own vs 1€ a month wasn't worth it.
>>
>>51630215
yeah but shame you cannot do custom domains.
I started the setup but I am already tired, it's just so much shit.
>>
>>51630152
runbox
>>
While we're somewhat on topic: how do you sort your mail/aliases ?

- one for all ?
- first.lastname ?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.