[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A fix for this issue would be a million-dollar idea Many retail
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: trailer.png (122 KB, 295x221) Image search: [Google]
trailer.png
122 KB, 295x221
A fix for this issue would be a million-dollar idea

Many retail stores use trailers to store stuff, particularly this time of year. Handheld devices, however, don't work well inside trailers, because the wireless network can't be easily accessed.

Most stores will have indoor access points, meant to provide coverage for use inside the store. Obviously it's useful to limit the range, to deter people from messing with the network while sitting outside. But when going into a trailer, this is a problem. Apparently there are no good, effective, cost-effective solutions. I work somewhere that has a device meant to work around it, but it doesn't work well.

So, what do?
>Handhelds operate on a wireless network
>Network is usually protected from unauthorized devices
>Prevents normal mobile access points from working as relays
>Metal trailers block signal from most angles (other than open doors)
>>
>million dollar idea
Plug in 50$ repeater to nearest outlet (they will have lights for these trailors) and disable ssid broadcast.
Where is my million dollars op?
>>
Temporary storing of data to be sent when network connectivity is back.
>>
>>51626391
suddenly I see people buying trailers to expose vulnerabilities and expose spying
>>
>>51626373
a repeater can't do shit against metal walls
>>
>buy smartphone with external antenna port
>buy ruggedized external antenna
>strap some rare-earth magnets to smartphone
>configure phone as wifi hotspot
>write an app that simply turns the screen red or green depending on whether it has a signal
>attach phone to container door/ceiling at the door to act as hotspot
>red/green status will tell you where to stick it

all feasible with current technology. strap on an external battery if you need extra lifetime.
>>
All they have to do is take a metal coat hanger and literally unfold it and then hang it from the entrance of the container - bam, instant passive Wi-Fi antenna extender and it actually fucking works too.

I mean really, my god, you fucking idiots just don't understand shit at all.
>>
>>51626373
the trailers dont have lights, they just sit in the parking lot.
>>
why do you keep saying 'trailer' when op has a picture of shipping/intermodal containers?
>>
>>51626264
>drill side of container
>feed antenna through
>have wireless bridge

there are a million more. This isn't a problem, it is a reality of reward vs money spent. End of the day build some other structure for your cell phone people.
>>
>>51626264
All of our wireless devices work perfectly fine inside of these at our work.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.