[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Coding noob here who knows a little Python from codeacademy..
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_nqzszf9BQd1uwcitwo1_500.jpg (35 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nqzszf9BQd1uwcitwo1_500.jpg
35 KB, 500x501
Coding noob here who knows a little Python from codeacademy..

Can someone please recommend me good books or tutorials that cover these topics specifically
>read data from file that is arranged in tables
>plot the data
>create some functions to do analysis on the data
>save results in file
>>
Learn python the hard way
Head first java
>>
>>51626128
Kek, my cousin recommended that book, so I guess it must be good.
>>
"Learn Python the Hard Way" doesn't teach you programming.
>>
>>51626328
It's terrible. Don't read that shit.
>>
>>51626492

this.

any "popular" programming book is always going to be shit
>>
http://learnyouahaskell.com/introduction
>>
don't listen to these guys op, learn python the hard way is a p gud to learn the syntax/commands

you sound like you want to use python for science, you should download anaconda and look at numpy, scipy, sympy, matplotlib and ipython notebooks (very similar to mathematica)
>>
>>51626701
Any book that has "the hard way" in the title, is terrible. Don't fall for memes.
>>
>>51626712
What are you basing this off of
>>
>>51626741
It's a fact. God made it that way.
>>
To plot data or create an excel file look into xlwt
>>
>>51626800
>excel files
kek
>>
>>51626800
To add to this. I would avoid doing the stupid courses online unless you're really motivated. Because you're probably just going to do a couple lessons and then not go back to it. Just Google specific things you want to do. Stack over flow is your friend.
>>
>>51626128
I asked for Head First Java for like my 16th Birthday
Never had I been so confused up to that point
>>
>>51626809
What? Like an xls? What's wrong with that? Serious question. Is there a nice package for making fancy graphs in python?
>>
Learn R anon
>>
>>51626840
yeah, matplotlib
>>
>>51626847
/thread
>>
>>51626847
R is only good for biology, not real syens
>>
>>51626852
Oh cool its like matlab
>>51626886
Lolwut
>>
actual good advice coming through

Watch the CS50 and CS75 lectures from harvard, they're free online. David Malan the professor is so good its unbelievable
>>
>>51626886
>>read data from file that is arranged in tables
>>plot the data
>>create some functions to do analysis on the data
>>save results in file

If you can do those things for biology, why can't you do the same for whatever fancy syens you're into senpai?
>>
>>51626899
Don't mind him. You don't expect 4chan to not be retarded, do you?
>>
>>51626899
>its like matlab
in terms of plotting it's far superior to matlab, you can produce actual publishable figures with it (you can't with matlab, matlab is ugly)

other than plotting it's nothing like matlab
>>
>>51626931
>matlab is ugly
can attest to this. Matlab does a lot of shit behind the scenes that causes different outputs when compared to something coded in python. It works smoother for some things but god awful in others re:plotting. The fact that some functions are now paywalled under simulink is absolutely disgusting as well.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.