[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
if i run my browser in a sandbox, does that mean i can freely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: screen.1448934648.png (405 KB, 932x612) Image search: [Google]
screen.1448934648.png
405 KB, 932x612
if i run my browser in a sandbox, does that mean i can freely allow flash/javascript, since everything is contained? why don't more people suggest sandboxing their browsers for security?
>>
>>51622375
>if i run my browser in a sandbox, does that mean i can freely allow flash/javascript, since everything is contained?

yes altho it should be noted that even sandboxes can be broken out of.
so nothing is guaranteed but it is better. its another layer.

>why don't more people suggest sandboxing their browsers for security?

dont know, maybe cos its one more step and people are lazy?
>>
>>51622375
Browsers are already run in a sandbox.
>>
>>51622517
See
>>51622533
>>
>>51622554

interesting. didnt know that. all of them?
>>
>>51622533
What? Pretty sure your browser can freely read/write to your system.(ie why people get infected)

>>51622517
>even sandboxes can be broken out of
Of course it's technically possible, but the chances of common malware/trojans breaking out of sandboxes seem unlikely to me.

I almost wish someone could link me to some malicious sites to test my sandbox settings.
>>
>>51622612

>unlikely to me.

allow me to google an example for you.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/07/hacking-teams-flash-0day-potent-enough-to-infect-actual-chrome-user/
>>
>>51622684
> it worked against Google Chrome, which has long been considered the most hardened general-purpose browser thanks to its state-of-the-art security sandbox.

uh no.
I'm not talking about shitty embedded sandboxes that browsers have.

I meant using something like Sandboxie.
>>
>>51622375
In a sandbox, you're totally protected. Go ahead, download all the CP you want. No one will find out...
>>
>>51622721
>I meant using something like Sandboxie.

Then why didnt you say that? Geez, its like you're a fucking idiot or something.
>>
>>51622732
What does this have to do with CP?

I'm talking about being protected from a random flash ad installing malicious shit.

It should be the equivalent of running your browser in a VM.
>>
>>51622375
Because then you get sand everywhere, sand is fucking annoying.
>>
>>51622766
VM's can be broken out of.
>>
>>51623717
Nothing is perfect. Anything can be broken or circumvented.
That isn't the point here.
>>
>>51623717

Either answer the question or shut the fuck up, faggot. Tip-toeing around the issue makes you look weak.
>>
>>51623686
It's coarse and rough and it gets everywhere.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.