[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/EE/-Wizards of Engineering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
any other electrical engineers here? working on shrinking my final project for my intro course.
>>
>>51620596
Please go to >>>/sci/
This is /g/ - circlejerk, shills and consumerism.
>>
>>51620626
In all of its shitty glory
>>
I'll get an MSP430 launchpad and a bunch of ESP8266 to play with during the Christmas holidays.
>>
File: Tools_soldering_iron.jpg (543 KB, 2602x1735) Image search: [Google]
Tools_soldering_iron.jpg
543 KB, 2602x1735
I did some EE back in school. Sup?
>>
>>51620626
>>>/diy/ would be better for EE prototyping
>>51620596
what you making OP
>>
>>51620596

What does it do?
>>
>>51620596
Deadbug it
>>
>>51621287
>>51621299
it's a combination lock based on two CD4013 ICs, basically you trip 4 flip flops in a row and it activates the lil relay coil. diagram that I found for it is actually wrong, missing grounding pin 8 on IC1

>>51621398
huh?
>>
make your own circuitboard or custom order one online.
>>
File: dead-bug-circuit.jpg (69 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
dead-bug-circuit.jpg
69 KB, 640x480
>>51621454
>>
>>51621739
hehe that's pretty funny. I would but there's too many components.
>>
>>51621454
So why would something like this be useful? I'm not bagging on you, I just know the absolute minimum on electronics.
>>
>>51621880
There's never too many components for deadbugging
>keep leads short
>use tube shrink-wrapping on the resistors to avoid shorting them out
>hot-glue-gun everything to pot it
>???
>admire work of art
>>
>>51621902
it's for OP's learning process
>>
>>51620596
>working on shrinking
you have some empty space but not much. I suppose the buttons are on another board.

Since you can't get smaller components and you dont want to do this >>51621739
the only option left is to make your own printed board.

It's not that hard but you need a very fine drill for the holes and a very thin permanent marker. It won't shrink that much but if you don't fuck your shit you'll get extra points and it'll look cool.
>>
>>51623133
oh, this 4x6cm board is my final board, it was previously on a huge breadboard, nicely spread out.
>>
>>51623156
Breadboard->perfboard->pcb
OP, now that making pcb is waaaay cheaper than it used to be, do yourself a favor and download eaglecad or some other free-for-small-pcb software and learn how to do schematic capture and pcb layout. There are many options for pcb manufacture, but for something like this I doubt you could beat oshpark for a 2-layer design. Remember that their pricing is based purely on sq/inches, so concentrate on making it as small as possible. Keep on progressing with it. It can be a lot of fun and profit.
>>
>>51620596
Make a PCB and order it through OSHPark or the like, and use SMT components.

Otherwise that's pretty small already for perfboard.
>>
>>51620596
ECE freshman here. What uni do you attend OP?
>>
ITT: Currynigger Street-shitters
>>
File: DSCN3061.jpg (544 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3061.jpg
544 KB, 1600x1200
> Build my circuits on Solderless breadboards
> everything works great
> Print and Solder the PCBs
> Doesn't work right
> Spend two days going over the boards again and again and again trying to find where the circuit could be different, but there are no problems,

> Finally go back and look at the logic diagrams.
> There's an SR latch getting a 1 at the S & R simultaneously. On the soldereless boards it decides to set, on the printed boards it decides to reset.
>>
>>51626808
kek, you are a huge asshole
>>
EECS master race here... Just burned my finger last week touching a burning hot MOSFET that I was testing out. Fail stories here, preferably green text.
>>
>>51627067
I'll go first myself:

> Be EECS major
> Got that new Hall effect sensor that I ordered for my project
> Test it out
> Why the fuck isnt it outputting 2.5v for no field.
> Look at the datasheet again
> I wired the DIP version by referencing the pin numbers on the SMD diagram.
> flip output and ground.
> everything works
> happy
>>
>>51623672
10x10 cm boards are actually pretty cheap if you can deal with the delay for shipping, for 5x5cm it's even cheaper. I did some stuff with very fine smt chips and they were able to do 6mil tolerances. 10 boards of a 10x10cm came out to like 20 bucks for the cheapest shipping
>>
>>51627067
This was at an internship, but we had a defective board with a broken dram module that actually gave me a blister when I touched it, I looked at it under an IR cam and it was like 300C. Always look at the output current on the power supply, would be the lesson I guess>>51627067
>>
>>51620596
I used perfboard for the first time yesterday. Just something to consider OP if you're soldering skills aren't great, or if you have really shaky hands like I do, you may save yourself some trouble by leaving your components a little more spaced out. It's easy to spill over from one pad to the next.
>>
You can save some space by using a stripboard if you plan it out right
>>
>>51621454
I had a similar project for my logic class, we had a vending machine simulator using state tables. pretty fun desu
>>
File: 1433290413493.jpg (54 KB, 434x435) Image search: [Google]
1433290413493.jpg
54 KB, 434x435
>>51625514
My boy you going to Purdue? I've never heard of a school with ECE but Purdue.
>>
Accidentally brushed one of my psoc 4 pins to ground. Blew up instantly. Damn it.

CPLD programming a fun though
>>
>>51626808
Use D latches, problem solved.
>>
>>51620596

REMINDER: MEs learn how to ME, EE and CE.

EEs can be the Wizards of Engineering but MEs are the Gods.
>>
File: stand.jpg (18 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
stand.jpg
18 KB, 350x263
>>51627067

>200X for some x<4
>teenage me starts with electronics for hobby
>soldering some shit at 5AM
>feel all l33t and shit
>pick up soldering iron bi wrong end
>burn fingerprints off
>scars still visible today

And that's how I decided to buy a soldering iron stand
>>
>>51630433
If you Can't build a bridge you aren't worthing talking to
Civil for life
>>
>>51630577

> Chop down tall tree
> Lay over gap

Done
>>
Just started playing with this seriously. Trying to find a good breadboard kit that'll keep me busy for a while. In the meantime I just keep building my projects in kicad.
>>
>>51630503
Now you are a ghost.. you can be one of the Men in Black
>>
>>51630433
>>51630433
I'd rather be expert in one field than knowing a small bit in every field
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.