[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /g/ could i walk into a starbucks or access a public wifi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: ncis.jpg (286 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ncis.jpg
286 KB, 1920x1080
hey /g/

could i walk into a starbucks or access a public wifi place, torrent a bunch of movies, and walk out scott free? or is there something im missing here?
pic related im tryna get all the old seasons, the new blonde girl is a bitch.
>>
>>51620277
>walk into a starbucks or access a public wifi place, torrent a bunch of movies

Depends entirely on their network config. Both the local and upstream.

At my ex's apartment, I torrented several things. Maybe ten gigs worth. After a few days, the connection ran at a trickle and most HTTP connections timed out. I discovered that the instant my laptop connected, it went from great speed to near zero.

It turned out they saw packets coming on the port I was torrenting on and penalized her entire connection. She called support and they just mumbled about using too much data, even though there was zero mention of data caps in her contract (this was Japan, muzukashi desu).

I've also torrented huge amounts at a motel. They had zero sophistication.

Anyway, if you want to torrent, sign up for VPN service. It's the only way to be safe. I use PureVPN and am happy with it.
>>
>>51620347
shill
>>
bumping for other answers
>>
>>51620277
Just fucking pay the $9 a month for Netflix. Fuck, you cheap ass fucks piss me off. It isn't like they don't deserve SOME compensation for making a show you enjoy. And on Netflix you don't have commercials and can watch quite a bit of shit. I bet if you call upstairs your mom will even share her Netflix account with you. Go ahead. Give your mom a call. God knows you aren't walking up those stairs.
>>
>>51622049
Flagged for spam/advertising
>>
anyone else have any input?
>>
>>51622477
yeah
>could i walk into a starbucks or access a public wifi place, torrent a bunch of movies, and walk out scott free?
Yes.
You will walk out scott free no matter what network you do it on actually. People don't "get caught" for torrenting. It is a very rare occurrence, and what it happens, it's never a big deal. Just do it. Don't worry about it. People who pay for VPNs are suckers.
>>
>>51622502
im saying like could someone figure out the MAC of my computer and use it against me? obviously there isnt an fbi agent sitting in starbucks with a network protocol analyzing tool, but i mean on the other end
>>
>>51622049
Doesn't have everything
>>
>>51620277
If you don't mind spending the next eight years there, yeah. Public WiFi is always slow as shit, barely any faster than the slowest DSL. They might've even gotten smart and blocked P2P/torrents, at least I'm sure some places have. Your time is valuable, retard. At this point it would actually be worthwhile to shell out some money and pay for what you want, if these are the lengths you're going to for entertainment. Also movies and tv are shit, play the vidya.
>>
File: 1448732549280.gif (2 MB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
1448732549280.gif
2 MB, 270x270
>>51620347
>paying someone to rat you out the moment the gov't shows up
>>
>>51622540
>im saying like could someone figure out the MAC of my computer and use it against me?
You're more likely to have a heart attack get struck by lightning and win the lottery all at the same time.

But yes, I guess in theory that could happen.
>>
>>51622649
anon stop trying to trick people into getting caught by the internet police
>>
>>51622540
Boy, you're paranoid. No one goes after an ordinary joe torrenting crap. The ISP may send some emails to the network's owner, but that's pretty much it. And you're talking about MAC like it can't be spoofed.
>>
>>51622809
how can i spoof my mac? i know how to run some layer 2 attacks through redhat linux but im still building my pen testing repertoire
>>
>>51622049
>Just fucking pay the $9 a month for Netflix. Fuck, you cheap ass fucks piss me off. It isn't like they don't deserve SOME compensation for making a show you enjoy.

While I agree 100% with the sentiment, I canceled my Netflix subscription awhile after their first cutback.

When they started streaming, it was pretty good. Sometimes the quality was really fucky (Shutter Island was *terribly* encoded), but the selection was good. Not 1st run releases, but at least stuff out within the last 1.5 years.

Then all of the sudden it became the Shitty B-Movie And Korean Cinema Exchange. Seriously, the only thing I watched for a few months were Korean movies. Many of them are great, but Jesus Christ, sometimes I just want to watch a good ol' freedom-filled American popcorn movie.

I tried Redbox for awhile, but it's basically impossible to watch DVDs and especially BluRays on my computer. I don't own a television. I'm not spending $60 for a shitty piece of software with a hideous, proprietary interface just because it has the precious decryption keys.

Oh, and if you go the legitimate route, you'll often times get a shitty experience. Watch Top Gear on BBC America. They cut stuff out to fit their advertising time, they remove the awesome music and replace it with public domain shit (kills jokes, e.g. the A-Team theme playing every time they mod their cars), and they literally spoil every segment whenever they go to an ad break! They actually show you the "punchline" from the next segment. What the actual fuck.

Anyway, yeah, it's a pirate's life for me.
>>
>>51623277
Tbh m8 this sounds like b8 but if u really wanna use macchanger.
>>
File: Capture.png (81 KB, 1254x1223) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
81 KB, 1254x1223
>>51623499
i mean like i know how to do it but when i try to select the option on my thing the "network address" choice doesnt show up,

pic related only locally administerd mac shows up and whenerver i change it it doesnt change anything in when i do ipconfig /all
>>
>>51623818
bumping
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.