[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do linux desktops look like shit? Even at those "desktop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 12
File: deskTop.jpg (193 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
deskTop.jpg
193 KB, 1280x800
Why do linux desktops look like shit?
Even at those "desktop threads" 90% of the desktops look like absolute weaboo shit.
>>
>>51619789
This is a weeaboo site anon.
>>
File: screenshot.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Linux can look nice without too much effort; some hipsters want to use outdated DEs or "rice" their desktops with unnecessary anime.
>>
op i havent seen a linux desktop like that in literally 8 years

no one has a desktop on linux like that unless they're 12
>>
>>51619789
Because most linux users are autistic.

You can make it look great, but it takes work. Ricing it to look that shitty takes work too, but the average ricer is like 14 and has shit taste. It's like those winamp skins that look like something from the movie Alien, edgelords think they look cool for some reason.
>>
Because theyre covered in anime

anime can be tasteful, not as much when its a bunch of half naked 9 year olds though

chromeosDE master race for prettiest looking DE
>>
>>51619962
I'll wait for papyros for pretty linux ootb. It'll probably be shit, but at least it won't be a botnet.
>>
>>51619789
>File name
Ready for school tomorrow?
>>
>>51619846
I wish there was a de that looked like this by default.
>>
>>51620206
It's literally ubuntu with a theme installed and a wallpaper.

You could have yours looking exactly like that in under 5 minutes.
>>
>>51620206
it's pretty much default unity.
http://xubuntu.org/screenshots/
xubuntu looks pretty nice by default
>>
>>51619962
I wonder why chromeOS's kernel is so outdated? But I guess it might not be super necessary to run the latest kernel since it has all the drivers it needs.
>>
>>51620193
It's monday niggas had school today
>>
>>51620244
Yeah but I'm retarded
>>
File: snapshot1.png (997 KB, 1916x1078) Image search: [Google]
snapshot1.png
997 KB, 1916x1078
>>51619789

It's pretty subjective, OP. What's shit to you, might be just right for someone else.

The beauty of Linux, is you can easily make your desktop yours and yours alone.
>>
>>51620273
Its not normally used to do anything that the newer kernal allows linux to do, all ChromeOS is meant for is web browsing and some basic office applications

you can "unlock" it with developer mode + crouton and turn it into a full fledged version of Gentoo, but i like it more vanilla and just use an Ubuntu crouton side by side with it
>>
>>51620297
...and he'll have it again tomorrow, hence that guy asking if he was ready, because he types like a fucking toddler.

>>51620299
Nigger, you literally just look up the name of that theme and 'how to install' and a fucking step by step guide will show up. If you can't figure that out either kill yourself or buy a mac, they amount to the same thing anyway.
>>
>>51620351
What is it called?
>>
>>51619789
Its no too bad
Fucking polaks
>>
>>51620379
Fuck off. If you're not trolling you're fucking blind, and either way I'm not going to enable you being so fucking stupid. Figure it out. If you can't do this alone, you'll be here in a few days clogging up /flt/ with even stupider garbage.
>>
>>51620379
The theme is Royal; you can install it from the noobslab ppa. Just run
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/themes
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install royal-gtk-theme

Install Numix icon theme after that (just google for the instructions). Then install ubuntu-tweak, which gives you a graphical interface to actually use the themes.
>>
>>51620418
Thank you
>>
>>51620322
>>51619789
it feels like 2009

I bet you get dizzy with that cube and Beryl effects
Please install BonziBuddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QokOwvPxrE
>>
>>51619789
Man that's one Linux desktop out of a million different possible configurations. Unlike windows, you can do whatever the fuck you want without any resource hogging shit ass bloated programs, including go full niggerpleb mode like the pollack you're using as an example.
>>
Because the average linux user is a type of social outcast. Even if they're successful, with friends and a spouse, they're detached from the social dogma, and don't receive the "programming" that normal people do with regards to things like interests and fashions.

So most linux users won't watch sports, or they won't watch the popular sports, and they sure as well won't follow the latest fashion and design trends, be the clothing-related or desktop related. They'll even be into alternative media, like anime and obscure or old games, because they don't have a peer group to get them in to what's current, or if they do, they're the kind of person to keep their personal life the way they want it, no matter what they do socially.

After all, that's why a lot of people use linux in the first place. They're the different kids.
>>
>>51619962
hey newbie question. how did you get that in a window? is it an extension?
>>
>>51621069
window: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/crosh-window/nhbmpbdladcchdhkemlojfjdknjadhmh?hl=en-US

Prerequisite to have it work better: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/secure-shell/pnhechapfaindjhompbnflcldabbghjo
>>
>>51621208
another question. how did you get the kernel information and all that shit from?
>>
>>51619846
Wallpaper?
>>
>>51621282
screenfetch, i followed this guide:
http://tuxtweaks.com/2013/12/install-screenfetch-linux/
>>
>>51620665
so linux users are hipsters among the programming community?
>>
>>51619789
Is this bad? Personally I like Openbox for its flexibility and highly customizable features. I can change anything i want. Its also incredibly lightweight on my system as its just a WM and not a DE. I know my desktop resembles the whole 'darkasmysoul' weaboo shit, but be assured i am not one of them. I just like this stuff.
>>
>>51621340
cheers! got it working thanks
>>
>>51621411
2dark4me but it's pretty okay.
>>
You can make it look like anything you want. It literally doesn't get any better than that.
>>
>>51619789
most look pretty okay by default it's just people customizing it to look the way they want it
i mean you don't have to use their computers so why care
>>
>>51621437
Perhaps I'll add some colour one day, when i get bored of how it is now.
>>
File: Desktop Thread ;_;.png (694 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Desktop Thread ;_;.png
694 KB, 1600x900
average linux desktop
>>
File: cap.png (403 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
cap.png
403 KB, 1680x1050
Unity is great with just little rice.
>>
>>51619789

Because desktop threads are full of autistic 13 year olds who want to make shit look as ugly as possible
>>
>>51619789
The same reason Windows looks like shit: consumer pandering. Everything went to shit in the 2000s when interest shifted from interfaces that emulated the high-end UNIX systems most Linux users and developers had migrated from in the early days to uninspired and brutally half-assed Windows clones pandering to edgy teenagers and soccer moms migrating over from XP, the glossy fad hit them particularly hard. Fucking KDE tries to look flat and hip like Win10 yet has a default icon set that looks straight out of a piece of fake antivirus malware from 2006, and don't even get me started on GNOME and Cinnamon.

Aside from that, the interfaces in general feel like the same developers responsible for those CDE/Motif clones were forced to "modernize" them and did so begrudgingly, hating it every step of the way. I mean, look at this shit >>51620322 that's so bad it's probably bait, it looks like literally all of the worst parts of UI design in the early 2000s mashed up with the worst of the mid 2000s, with tacky skeumorphism, cheap-looking gloss and gradients and a horrid iOS wannabe icon set.
>>
>>51621860
>>51621531
>>51621411
>>51620322
>>51619962
>>51619789
spoiler that shit
>>
File: 1448908077578.png (2 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1448908077578.png
2 MB, 1024x768
>>51621531
>normies talking about average
>>
Because people who want a Unix desktop and actually care about aesthetics use osx. Linux desktop is for hipsters and fat, paranoid, autistic, trap-loving faggorinos.
>>
>>51623604
osx looks like cheap plastic garbage as well though

literally all of the big three do
>>
>>51619789
Weeaboo pretty much = well riced desktop.

You'll just have to learn the way of weeb anon.
>>
>>51624680
this desu
its not a coincidence, it just happens that people who watch anime have a higher average intelligence, better sense of colour, superior spacial awareness, higher twitch-fiber counts in major muscle groups, better emotional intelligence, and a higher left right brain sync ratio
>>
why dont you make it look good then
>>
>>51624774
cheeky cunt
>>
>>51622424

Honestly, I didn't notice any of this shit with my desktop, just randomly clicked on some theme shit when KDE first started, said to myself "Oh so THIS is ricing? Um, okay then..." and quickly got to business.

You fuckers are going to give me a complex.

Wtf is skeumorphism? Gradients? Holy fuck, you kids probably use Axe body spray, and take 30 minutes to do your hair. Here, here's a tampon for you.

It's a work computer. I require my screen to have many boxes that display information. Hence...
>>
>>51619789
But the standard deviation of the look of those desktops kicks ass compared to windows or mac.
>>
>>51620471
wow, my first experience with linux was my buddies computer he had set up almost just like that... My conversion obviously had nothing to do with his desktop...
>>
File: Untitled.png (477 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
477 KB, 1366x768
Because they are trying to replicate the perfection of Windows but end up looking like Windows 95.

Ironically they don't even possess the same functionality as Windows 95 and are a clusterfuck of volatile code prone to crashes and errors.

At least with Windows you can predict the kind of problems you might face and the solutions are readily available in the form of installers and simple 2-3 line instructions compared to reading an 120 page manual or wiki for Linux.

Ask any fucking loser with a weeb desktop what does he do with it, its always chat, music player, anime and terminal. So much for being productive.
>>
>>51625574
t. guy who has never actually used linux
>>
>>51625592
I used it for 3 years side by side Windows 7/8.1.

At one point I was quite comfortable with my setup but having no Office 365 and games was a deal breaker. Plus I spent way too much time maintaining and ricing my distro instead of doing any real work.

In the end it was just a toy for me to fuck around with till I got bored. When Windows 10 came, I wiped all my drives and got rid of all Linux ISO's. It was the end of a dark era.

I did have quite a lot of fun using Xubuntu though, the only usable and tolerable distro of Linux. Rest is garbage.
>>
>>51621860
Amigo
>>
File: screenshot-full.gif (82 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
screenshot-full.gif
82 KB, 1024x768
>>51625370
>I don't notice it so you're autistic
???
If you're going to defend the aesthetics of your chosen platform in a thread that shits on it, prepare to be scrutinized by at least a few people that actually have some idea of what they're talking about.

>Wtf is skeumorphism? Gradients?
If you don't even know what a gradient is there's really no point in explaining in any detail. This is as simple as I can get it: your shit looks like someone tried to make KDE look like Windows Vista and gave up halfway through. "muh function" is no excuse for inconsistency or a half-assed interface.

>>51625574
>Because they are trying to replicate the perfection of Windows but end up looking like Windows 95.
Why do people use that as an insult? The Windows classic interface was very consistent, professional, no-bullshit and easy to design applications for in a consistent manner. I WISH *nix still had current interfaces with that kind of look OOTB.

And I rather like fvwm95 in a couple ways.

>At least with Windows you can predict the kind of problems you might face and the solutions are readily available in the form of installers and simple 2-3 line instructions compared to reading an 120 page manual or wiki for Linux.
This meme is old as fuck and even then it's still false, even maintaining obscure unices are easier than most you counter-contrarian retards would want us to believe.
>>
>>51620410
no tendies for you tonight
>>
>>51625640
>Why do people use that as an insult?

Because the entire Windows community hated that interface. It is a reminder of the dark ages of Windows with blue screens and glitches.

Windows XP is our only benchmark for the past.
>>
>>51625665
None of that had anything to do with the interface, just 95 and 98 being the ugly pieces of 16-bit shit they were. I've literally never seen a single person triggered that way by the interface.

>Windows XP is our only benchmark for the past.
XP was a disgraceful piece of unstable garbage that destroyed the Windows UI with a teletubby skin and set the consumer pandering precedent that continues to kill Windows today.
>>
>>51625574
>At least with Windows you can predict the kind of problems you might face ... simple 2-3 line instructions compared to reading an 120 page manual or wiki for Linux.
Funny, my experience with Windows and Linux has been the complete opposite.
>>
>>51619789
they dont
>>
>>51626140
>default xfce application launcher icon and crude-looking mac wannabe windows
that was supposed to prove a point?????
>>
>not liking i3
>>
File: 36021.png (165 KB, 225x350) Image search: [Google]
36021.png
165 KB, 225x350
People most desktop threads are filled with

>"minimalistic" or anime wallpaper
>picture of a terminal (make sure your distro is visible!)
>two out of three weechat/irssi, music player, browser with "cool" tabs
>wall of replies to other people's desktops, using acne-popping language like "Your computer has been compromised by closed source malware. Fix your mistake."

Since these threads are dominated by these people and they sit here and congratulate each other, all shit looks the same.

I don't even bother any more.
>>
>>51626675
when was the last time you went to a desktop thread, 2012?
>>
>>51626140
Those windows border don't go well with the taskbar, though.
Fix the inconsistency.
>>
>>51626675
>"minimalistic" or anime wallpaper
Wait, whats wrong with minimalistic wallpapers? I prefer nature photography, but simple wallpapers can be good too.
>picture of a terminal (make sure your distro is visible!)
Because showing off your specs is now wrong?
>two out of three weechat/irssi, music player, browser with "cool" tabs
>wall of replies to other people's desktops, using acne-popping language like "Your computer has been compromised by closed source malware. Fix your mistake."
These ones are absolute faggotry desu
>>
>>51619846
>Inb4 posting shitbuntu
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.