[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I'm studying CS >I hate math
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20
File: templeton-turing-math.jpg (27 KB, 568x300) Image search: [Google]
templeton-turing-math.jpg
27 KB, 568x300
>I'm studying CS
>I hate math
>>
>>51618512
that describes most of the code monkeys taking it at my uni.... If they're fine you're fine
>>
You don't need anything more than algebra anyway
>>
its not that i hate math directly.
my math professors hate me
in result i hate math
>>
>>51618601
i fell for this meme, dropped out after 4 months. calculus is way harder than algebra.
>>
>>51618601
You don't even need algebra.
>>
>>51618639
Calculus is easy though. You may need to put some effort into it, but you don't have to be particularly smart to get through it.
>>
>>51618512
1.6, source, or go?
>>
File: lazy.gif (1 MB, 245x184) Image search: [Google]
lazy.gif
1 MB, 245x184
>>51618680
>You may need to put some effort into it
exactly.
>>
>study math
>loved obligatory CS
>double with CS as well
>somehow end in an actuarial position with two exams
I don't know what the fuck is up with me, I hate this job but the pay is good.
>>
>>51618726
Try to get into AI
>>
>>51618697
kek
>>
>arbitrary math courses of which 85% of the content is never used

why is this allowed
>>
>>51618639
lel wut calculus is easier, you literally have to memorize formulas and that's it, in algebra you actually have to reason shit
>>
>>51618667
Yes you do. At the very least you need Linear Algebra.
>>
>>51618786
cs =/= programming

that's why
>>
>>51618786

studying math teaches you abstract reasoning and critical thinking among other things. even if you don't use some specific theorem or topic it doesn't mean it wasn't worth spending the time learning it.
>>
>>51618512

I'm a 1st year CS student, and I despise maths. Only the Indian guys in my class actually like math.

I mean its not particularly hard math, just doing something you hate makes it seem more difficult.
>>
>>51619170
Why do you hate math? Did math rape your sister?
>>
>>51619185

Just the effort of it all. Doesn't interest me in the slightest, equations, formulas etc..

I just want to code for the next 4yrs and get this degree over with.
>>
As an EE, you CS guys only take half the maths courses. Suck it up.
>>
>>51618512
>>I hate math

Math opens so many doors it's ridiculous.

The problem is that many teachers of mathematics don't know how to teach. Especially when it's a TA in a calc 101 class instead of someone who does know how to teach and demystify the shit.

The state of math education in the US is atrocious, and has been for decades.
>>
>>51618697
Nexon Zombies
>>
>>51618512
What a bunch of pussies, even Accounting and Finances has more math. No wonder so much grads end up being code monkeys.
>>
>>51619101
that and CS is a big field and plenty of these careers use math so it's kinda necessary.
>>
>>51619236

you are going to despise the rest of your career at this rate
>>
>>51618786
People sign up for CS. Computer Science is a field of math. Not a vocational programming course. Also colleges have a self-interest in teaching highly theoretical concepts so that students will stay on and do research for them.
>>
>>51618512
>hate math
>hate flipping burgers
Choose one or both.
>>
>>51619236
I hope you are happy with never working at an important company, earning a good salary or having an exciting job.
>>
File: 1365912942036.jpg (1 MB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
1365912942036.jpg
1 MB, 5000x5000
>>51619423
>Not a vocational programming course

>first year CS student
>kid next to me is failing because he spends all his time programming and not learning actual computer science
>"wooow never gonna use this what's the point"
>mfw
>>
What's the point of programming if you don't have the math skills to abstract and resolve real world problems.
>>
>>51619501
Being a code monkey obvoiusly
>>
>>51618512
Mate I know people studying maths who hate maths.

People are strange.
>>
Can anyone recommend some books that might help someone who feels absolutely lost with college/university level math? I'd even be fine with a book that starts right at the bottom and works itself up slowly
>>
>>51618680
>calculus is easy
Man, fuck you, I had a shit math background before college, calculus is hard as fuck right now. Diff Eq is probably going to suck to get through too.
>>
>>51619576
basic engineering mathematics by John Bird. I use it at my uni. I live in britbongistan but I think you guys cover the same shit.

I think there's 2 books - first one has basic algebra and math principles and the second one more in depth in calculus, sine cosine waves and all that other bullshit that's slowly driving me nuts.
>>
>>51618512
you're not alone. I'm one of your kind, too.
>>
>>51619608
I only found calculus 2 somewhat difficult (because i never went to the saturday classes), but it get's really easy with Fourier series.
>>
>>51618512
>I'm studying engineering
>I hate math
>>
>>51619665
Calc 2 is what I'm currently in and no one has mentioned Fourier series to me.

Then again we just started sequences and series with 2 weeks to go in the semester.

I've had the same prof for both levels and I really don't like him and I'm sure he doesn't like me.
>>
File: 1448653705796.jpg (12 KB, 189x251) Image search: [Google]
1448653705796.jpg
12 KB, 189x251
>studying math
>I hate math
>just good at it
>>
>>51619469
>>"wooow never gonna use this what's the point"
What happened to him?
>>
>>51619683
math doesn't matter, you need physics and a calculator
>>
>>51618512
I just don't understand why I need to take 3 calculus ckasses. When the fuck will I be using derivatives in software development?
>>
>>51619702
>I've had the same prof for both levels and I really don't like him and I'm sure he doesn't like me.
Then go to another class, shit surely there's like another 50 classes in the week which you can attend to.
>>
>>51619702
Fourier series are a great way to solve integrals senpai
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_series
>>
File: 1445131019427.jpg (77 KB, 864x1000) Image search: [Google]
1445131019427.jpg
77 KB, 864x1000
>love math
>can't into because greater creative mind than numerical
>>
>>51619745
Excuses. Math is all about being creative.
>>
>>51619735
They're all taught by the same man. My campus is not very clever. You can't even get a one-on-one tutor if you're in the class, you have to go to drop-in study sessions because he put too much demand on the tutor center. I'm also at a satellite campus right now, so there really aren't anywhere near as many classes as that. There were 2 Calc 2 classes this semester.

>>51619741
Thanks senpai, I'll look into it
>>
>>51619771
I use my fingers when adding 8+5
fuck you
>>
>>51619576
>>51619576
>Can anyone recommend some books that might help someone who feels absolutely lost with college/university level math? I'd even be fine with a book that starts right at the bottom and works itself up slowly

https://archive.org/details/CalculusMadeEasy

There is a reason why this 100 year old book is still around: it's great.
>>
>>51619714
think he's passing now cuz my professor does a ton of shit to bump everyone's grade
>>
>>51619745
Math doesn't even involve numbers very much
>>
>>51619440
care to expand on this? Why will focusing on coding lead to that?
>>
>>51619907
i think he's talking about a lack of work ethic
>>
>>51619856
>Math doesn't even involve numbers very much

And this, right here, is what is wrong with K-12 mathematics.

Emphasis on numerical answers at the expense of everything else, so when "higher-math" is introduced (algebra II and up, i.e., basic math), nearly everyone is lost.

That's because American math education is stuck with the pre-WWII concept of k-12 math instruction, a time when "computer" was an occupation, not a machine and getting a numerical answer was more "useful." especially when the vast majority of people didn't get to university at all.
>>
Man, I don't know what you guys are talking about. Third year EE student and I love math. You don't even have to be a tryhard to like it; I'm still the laziest fuck I know. Honestly, I was thinking about majoring in it at one point.
>>
wrapping up my first CS class next week so pretty new to the field. how hard does CS actually get? people always hype up the difficulty. is that just a meme all the pretentious college kids spew?
>>
>>51620099
It's not that hard at the undergrad level
>>
>>51620058
just because you may enjoy something doesn't mean everyone else will?
>>
>>51619423
>graduate CS
>want to get a software engineering job
>no real world programming experience
>g-guess i'll go theorize some more abstract concepts
>>
>>51620116
What I'm saying is- is that you probably shouldn't go for a degree that's math oriented if you don't like math.
>>
File: 1277576442687.jpg (16 KB, 240x250) Image search: [Google]
1277576442687.jpg
16 KB, 240x250
>>51620182
>CS is only for programming
>>
>couldn't do the math so I went to IT, but kept programming or at least doing things I thought were interesting
>graduate in a week or so, going back for master's in CIS program
>prof says my outlook is good considering I do a good work compared to other IT and most CS students
>>
>>51620182
>graduate CS
>want to get a software engineering job
>everyone wants 5 years job experience for minimum wage starting positions
>no brilliant startup ideas
The future is bleak.
>>
>>51620182
>graduate with cs
>didn't go for software engineering
You realize neither discipline is solely about coding, right?
>>
>>51619856
Jesus Christ this. I tutor people on burgerland and they have so much emphasis on the goddamn digits. Who gives a fuck about the digits of sqrt(2)? The important thing is that you square it and get 2.
>>
>>51620441
could be worse if you're IT and me
>give resume to couple friends who work at some company
>sounds reasonable
>their boss emails me and says I can do x or y, my pick, it's a paid internship + remote work when I go back to class
>give him day/time for interview
>never responds
>out of the blue the day I suggested for the interview he says he gave it away to someone else

I'm still fucking salty about it. Fucking dangled a god damn nice ass steak in front of me then gave it to some shit head without even telling me until the last minute.

Other than that
>nothing here except local gov't or military jobs
>or muh Gulfstream
>all of these are boring as fuck
>never responded to google recruiter

Literally nothing here, probably going to have to move away to Atlanta or some shit for something decent.
>>
All these people saying don't major in a math-oriented field if you don't like math are making me feel like shit.

Is it really a bad idea to major in computer engineering if learning the math is painful?

Nah, fuck it, my backup is still astrophysics.
>>
>>51620365
I know this feel.

We're doin' the same thing.

Good luck Anon.
>>
>>51619501
don't need math for CRUD (90% of programming jobs)
>>
>>51620528
Good luck to you to. At least the prof I've been doing shit for is the graduate program coordinator, so I just do the bare minimum requirements and he'll let me in. I just hope I can finish the master's without issue.

I wish I was better at the math shit, I feel like I'd understand a lot more of what I'm using and doing.
>>
>hate studying math in the abstract sense
>love application of math, ace every physics course without even trying

Math isn't hard, it's just boring as shit to learn it in this abstract void where you don't actually apply it to anything. In physics you get to solve interesting problems and perform experiments involving the math you learned, which is when it really starts to stick. I don't know about you but my university required at least 2 calculus-based physics courses for the CS program, it really helped me a lot
>>
I hate the abomination that is quantum mechanics but am thankful I can have a shitposting machine that can do billions operations per second.
>>
>>51618512
CS major graduating this semester reporting in. I also fucking hate math.
>>
I know object orientation, type casting, recursion, memory allocation/deallocation, function/object/process pointers, polymorphism/encapsulation/abstraction, and have yet to learn calculus :^(
>>
I'm studying med. I hate people
>>
>>51619826
shit school
>>
>>51621680
shit professor*
>>
>>51619714
>his name was bill gates
>>
File: Concrete_Mathematics_-_Cover.png (4 MB, 1218x1534) Image search: [Google]
Concrete_Mathematics_-_Cover.png
4 MB, 1218x1534
This book is supposed to be an intro into CS, right?
Well, if it is an introduction, I must be a complete retard.

Christ, I didn't know what subscript notation meant until this book brought it up on the first page.
It has opened my eyes, and I now see that math is a great skill to learn.
>>
>>51618512
>studying CS
>hate programming
>kinda like math particularly calculus
>>
>I'm studing law
>I hate people
>I love money
>>
>>51621753
I don't know bill, but Ballmer is a math genius.
Look it up.
>>
>>51620203
CS is almost entirely logic based. The amount of math actually used, especially above basic operations, is confined to specific fields. I learned more useful shit from analytic philosophy than I did any math class. Not that you don't need math skills, they just don't make up the vast majority of your day.
>>
>>51621779
No, that book is not supposed to be an intro to CS. I would describe it as a book for someone that wants a solid foundation in mathematics for upper-level undergrad CS courses at a higher-ranking CS school, or a good book for someone that wants a solid mathematics foundation for graduate-level CS courses at mid to low tier CS graduate program.
>>
Guise, should I choose computer science, computer engineering or program engineering?
>>
>>51622151
It's not a should kind of thing. You should do mycology. What's going to happen is you're going to meet the wall of shit that makes up your classes and most likely hate it and go IT. Or you'll hate it and stick to it. Or you might actually like the world of functions, arrays & differential calculus and find yourself at home. Can't even base it off your level of autism.
>>
>>51622151
what the fuck is "program engineering"?

I'd choose whatever one matches up best with whatever you'd like to do for the rest of your life. Want to program embedded devices? CE. Want work a bunch people that don't have a degree in the same field and still get paid as much as you do? CS.
>>
>>51622211
software* engineering

Wanted to know what I'm going into before choosing
>>
>>51619907
Software Engineering and Computer Science are totally different things.
If he wants to be a code monkey for the rest of his life, that's fine. He will spend his career maintaining office software; it's an incredibly easy job, but it's boring in every sense of the word.
Being a Computer Scientist or Engineer lets you explore ground-breaking technologies that you build yourself that have a real purpose.
>>
>>51622676
you can be a software engineer without being a code monkey
>>
>>51622710
I guess it depends on what your definition of "code monkey" is.
>>
>>51622676
ssssh, code monkeys are ok as long as they think they are software engineers. Just keep telling them that they are doing a great job as long as they don't ask for more money.
>>
>>51622881
i'd consider a code monkey exactly what you described. but that's not all software engineering has to offer. it's just what all the lazy shitters end up doing
>>
>>51622211
Computer Engineering: Design hardware
Software Engineering: Design software
Computer Science: The glorious nirvana that lies between the boring, mountainous peaks of hardware design and the boring, murky depths of software design. Truly the god-tier of tech fields.

No bias though
>>
>Hate math
>MFW I got a TI-Nspire CAS
>Just drop math classes if the professor is an uptight bitch who whines about using graphing calculators and sign up for the same class by a different professor
>On my way to a CS degree

Fuck math.
>>
>getting my PhD in CS
>never took calculus in my life
>>
>>51622997
Either that's a lie or your school's "CS" is SE and not CS.
>>
>>51622985
Hardware design doesn't have to be boring, especially with RF. RF has an almost limitless learning curve. I will admit that digital (even high-speed) can be a little on the boring side unless you are absolutely pushing the limits.
>>
>>51623056
every stem major at my uni has to take calc1 and 2, even SE
>>
>>51623130
Some school's do Software Engineering programs that are literally just that: how to write software.
They don't cover algorithms or data structures beyond the different types and how to use them, so upper level maths isn't required.

A guy I work with got a degree in "Computer Science" from some shit no-name university and the extent of his education was basic programming principles and web design.
He works in HR now.
>>
>>51622062
could you recommend an intro book?
I want something mathy
>>
>>51623231
Get that Knuth book then work on Khan Academy until the book starts to make sense. That tactic got me through my double Master's in Computer Science and Mathematics.
>>
>>51623056
No, CS. PhD's not shown here, but I'm not a Masters student. The color might also give away the university, but suffice it to say that it's not some backwater university.

My undergrad was in a social sciences field. Took some stats classes and discrete math, but no calculus.

Grad school doesn't formally require you to catch up in courses; you just have to pass (usually ace) the breadth courses, which is profoundly difficult if you lack the prerequisites, but you can learn the prerequisite material however you want.
>>
>>51623294
that's what I've been doing.
Using khanacademy as a reference for things I don't know.

I just didn't know if this was the best avenue there is.
>>
>>51622997
Fucking bullshit.
>>
>tfw didnt even goto highschool and just taught myself programming
>tfw being recruited by intel
>dont know math past 8th grade
>>
>>51623592
I don't know how to prove a negation to you. Even if I provided you with all of the transcripts from every place I ever attended (protip: not going to happen anyway), that wouldn't prove that I had never taken it.

You just have to believe me. I'm happy to prove that I'm a PhD student or any other affirmable claim without identifying myself personally.
>>
is web development a decent field as far as salary and job security goes?
>>
>>51620533
Exactly this.

This has literally been my biggest fear for months now. I haven't even graduated yet and I already can't stand doing the same database to gui plumbing bullshit that seems to be the bulk of every single developer job. I start my full time job in 4 weeks, and I'm totally afraid I'll just hate my life, not even putting the good math skills from my university to any good creative use.
>>
>>51624187
Try to find a desk in a corner with your back facing the wall if possible. Management doesn't know what you are working on. Get your work done on time and then work on your own interests if you really are above all of it. In my experience, coders rarely get the easy stuff done on time, so I wouldn't even care if they operated like this as long as the job got done on time.
>>
>>51618512
Do you understand what Computer Science actually is? Did you just think it was making webpages and designing games? CS is basically maths when done properly. Maybe you should consider switching fields to something in the arts.
>>
>>51624052
Salary is decent enough and there are always tons of jobs out there. It's not difficult to learn a few basic web dev technologies, get a low paying internship or jobs of craigslist, and start making decent pay in a year or so. I've done a lot of web dev and, for me at least, it's just a bunch of unfulfilling monkey-level programming.
>>
>>51623368
>Took some stats classes
Stats is basically calculus though, unless you're just memorizing distributions or something.
>>
>>51624302
damn, that's unfortunate. web dev sounds a lot more interesting than software engineering to me, but I'm still early in my CS journey so we'll see. thanks m8

>>51624187
tbqh man this advice is really generic, but honestly just be happy that's what you get to do making decent money. i used to bust my fucking ass with manual labor for shit pay and after doing that i got a lot of perspective
>>
>>51624410
>manual labor for shit pay
An entry level programming job can be just as mentally unstimulating as manual labor, with the added benefit of sitting all day getting hemorrhoids and ass cancer.
>>
>>51624445
fair, but at least you get paid decently well. I wasn't even making a livable wage (residential electrician).
>>
>be theoretical physics
>be great at maths, physics and programming

literally what is the point in doing any other degree?? if you're -really- into CS you should just do a maths degree
>>
File: 1448654568140.jpg (57 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1448654568140.jpg
57 KB, 600x450
>that one faggot who "hates math" and fails every math course he takes but talks authoritatively on cosmology, DUDE BLACKHOLES LMAO and popsci physics
When do these faggots get weeded out?
>>
>>51624469
>theoretical physics
>great at programming
Ha.

In my experience, physicists are almost as bad at programming as EE grads. Even the professors working with HPC for their research that can usually get their stuff working still lack a lot of basic foundations needed to make performant and bug free code.
>>
>>51618512
guess what... should you become a professional software developer, you are never given time to work out the math. ha!
>>
>>51624514
okay but explain why we can walk into the same codemonkey jobs that CS guys are limited to

protip: you can't
>>
>>51624492
they don't. just like all the trendy language fanboyism and one-upsmanship
>>
>>51624492
>tfw do the heavier, more mathematical courses and never have to see these guys
>>
>>51624538
You can't, not really. You lack all the knowledge of enterprise grade bullshit needed to be a code monkey in the modern world.
>>
>>51618786
because even though programming isn't cs, you're going to be a shit programmer if you can't into CS
>"why does your code run like dogshit and take up tons of memory to do a trivial task?"
>idk lol i only nested like 8 for loops
>fuck that math shit its useless when am i ever gonna use this lol
>>
>>51620099
It's not terrible till you get to theory of comp and operating systems. Discrete 2 will weed out the plebs before that
>>
>>51624588
>theory of comp
Computability or compilers?

Well it works either way.

Anyway, my advice to new CS students these days is to pay attention in that one stat class that everybody usually ignores. It makes AI and other soft computing topics a lot easier.
>>
Maybe you should try getting a masters in liberal arts instead. Sounds right up your ally.
>>
>>51624515
This. Professional developers spend fuck all designing algorithms

If you really want to prepare for a job as a code monkey you need to master the following
>Reading other people's code to point out what they did wrong
>Writing documents and getting recorded buy-in from the right people so your ass is covered when fingers start being pointed
>Getting proper recognition for your work and some of that asshole Steve's. Fuck Steve
and finally
>how to recognize you're in a dead-end project that will never contribute anything to your career, and how to get out of it
>>
Math and CS master race.
Being so close to each other just begs for the double major.
>>
>>51618512
>implying you need math for your meme CS degree from your shit institution
>>
As an engineer, I hate having to write software when I need to be working on other stuff. OP, please don't skip your math classes. We will all be happier.
>>
>going to uni for something you learn at home
>>
>>51624784
>going to health science uni for something you can learn at home
>>
>>51619683
As an electronics engineering graduate. Fuck engineering mathematics like a dead hooker after a five year dry spell. The most I use from my degree is the troubleshooting and being able to figure out what the fuck needs to be done for the test/end user to make them happy enough to mic drop and walk.
>>
>>51618512
Maybe you should consider a masters in liberal arts instead. Sounds right up your ally.
>>
>>51624574
>tfw I wrote code with 7 nested for loops yesterday

it needed it though... no other way to do it ;-;
for( all cycleGroups in cycleGroupList)
for( all cycles in cycleGroup)
for( all resource in cycles)
for( all zones in res)
for( all itemholders in zone)
get list of itemholders of type stationary
for( all materials in res)
for(all stationary in zone)
for(all slot in stationary)
if(slot is empty || (slot has room && slot material is proper type))
put material in slot
>>
>>51624814
You obviously don't work on anything that involves DSP or RF engineering.
>>
>>51624574
But aren't that just good programming practices, I mean what you say has to do more with writing clean code rather than maths doesn't it?
>>
File: giphy2.gif (905 KB, 240x228) Image search: [Google]
giphy2.gif
905 KB, 240x228
>>51624862
>>
>>51624862
>needed it
Usually means there's something wrong with your model or your data structures then.
>>
2bh I don't even hate math in general I just hate algebra. I actually did better in college math than high school because it was less straight algebra/find the value type of stuff. holy shit do I hate that shit shuffle all the values around then use fifty million little tricks fucking neck yourself you math nigger
>>
>>51624902
Working against an API, if I could modify the itemholder, I'd chop off that last for loop

also skipped a few if's

in real life conditions it'll be about; (5*3*5*30*2*3*5) cycles roughly
>>
I never understood why you need maths and I always get broad generalized answers like for algorithms for machine learning, I really do want to learn maths but could someone cite an example of usage of maths in some famous project?
>>
>>51624902

That's what I'm saying. There's also the possibility that they need to call up Rajeet and have him create a view or three in the database.
>>
>>51619771
real math is, but algebra/trig/calculus isn't. if he can't into math at all, he probably hasn't been exposed to real math.
>>
>>51624897
>>51624902
>>51624961
Just pulled up the github; I snuck in an extra for loop it looks, just eliminate that first one. damn memory.
>>
>>51624862
Jesus fuck, anon
What is that? O(n^8)?
>>
>>51624988
Octave
OpenEMS
QUCS
R
>>
The math is the best part. I go bonkers over things like arrows, higher inductive types, and zygohistomorphic prepomorphisms.
>>
>>51624891
sure but think how someone who's taken an algorithms and data structures class would optimize their code vs code monkey #247935720 who relies on ready made libraries
>>
>>51625048
O(n^6) ; had an extra for loop
>>
>>51624871
Nope, would have taken a major hit in pay. Working on pharmaceutical equipment and making good money for it. Customer facing engineer position to fix and prove the shit works...while explaining to shit chemists the basic of chemistry and physics.
>>
>>51625077
understood.
>>
File: 63567874987098-p25423.jpg (21 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
63567874987098-p25423.jpg
21 KB, 350x263
>>51618512
I double majored in CS and Mathematics. You really don't need anything over algebra II for CS. One of my profs explained it that the higher math courses mainly help you think logically and systematically work through a problem.

Just get through your maths with a C and you'll be fine.
>>
>>51625048
He's really just doing two iterations. He only needs the two loops to flatten everything.
>>
>>51624390
That's a pretty loose interpretation of calculus. Stats employs calculus, but to call one a subset (in the strict proof-y sense) of the other is a stretch
>>
Why do ams fags ridicule cs fags??
>>
>>51625069
Optimization does not imply succinctness.
>>
>>51625067
That isn't math. That sounds like C++.
>>
>>51625219
It's all category theory and type theory.
>>
>>51625219
>>
>>51625184
>but to call one a subset of the other
I never did.
>>
>>51620441

Then why did you take CS?
This is what you just said:

>"graduate Math"
>"want to get job in biology department"
>"everyone wants experience in biology and related fields for entry level positions"
>"no idea how to use microscope"
"The future is bleak"
>>
>>51623056

You take Calculus in any SE or CIS program too.
Anon has a PhD in Bullshit.
>>
>>51625235
To say that "stats is calculus" means one of three things.

Either you're saying that statistics and calculus are equivalent curricula (which is nonsense, so I dismissed it out of hand),
or you're saying that calculus is just a subset of statistics (or in other words that the curriculum of calculus could be wholly contained within a comprehensive curriculum of statistics),
or you're saying that statistics is just a subset of calculus.

Even a loose understanding of "x is basically y" makes the latter two interpretations shaky. If you meant something looser than any of those things, then you should have used different words.
>>
>>51621476
That's okay. I've had plenty of doctors who you can tell can't stand interfacing with people.
>>
>>51625293
See the screenshot above. Graduate student, CS, I offered to give more proof if you want it.

It sounds like you don't want to deal with evidence that you're wrong, but I feel obligated to offer it anyway.
>>
>>51625340

I guess tell the rest of your 'classmates' at DeVry we said "hello"?
>>
>>51618639
Dumbshit I took calc in highschool
>>51619608
Okay daquann
>>51619683
CS != engineering
That's why women love it
>>
>>51625359
I also said it's not a backwater university, although I could clarify that it's one of the top 10 ranked by most rankings of CS departments (I haven't found a ranking that has put it outside of the top 5).
>>
File: god.jpg (16 KB, 232x408) Image search: [Google]
god.jpg
16 KB, 232x408
>>51624862
>>51624897
>>51624902
>>51624961
>>51625036
>>51625048
>>51625075
private static void spawnResources()
{
ItemStack resStack;
int resCount;
boolean dropped;
ArrayList<Chest> chestArr = new ArrayList<Chest>();

for(Integer cycle : ResourceList.getTimeKeySet())
if((System.currentTimeMillis()-ResourceList.firstActiveMillis)/(60000*ResourceList.cycleBase) % cycle == 0)
for(UUID RID : ResourceList.getTimeSet(cycle))
for(UUID NID : ResourceList.get(RID).nodeSet)
if(NodeList.get(NID).faction != null)
{
chestArr.clear();
for(BlockState block : NodeList.get(NID).coreChunk.getChunk().getTileEntities())
if(block instanceof Chest)
chestArr.add((Chest)block);
for(Entry<Material,Integer> res : ResourceList.get(RID).resourceMap.entrySet())
{
dropped = false;
resStack = new ItemStack(res.getKey(),res.getValue());
if(chestArr.size() != 0)
{
chestLoop:
for(Chest chest : chestArr)
{
resCount = resStack.getAmount();
for (ItemStack stack : chest.getInventory().getContents())
{
if (stack == null)
{
resCount -= resStack.getMaxStackSize();
if(resCount <= 0)
break chestLoop;
}
else if (stack.getType() == resStack.getType() && stack.getDurability() == resStack.getDurability())
{
resCount -= resStack.getMaxStackSize() - stack.getAmount();
if(resCount <= 0)
break chestLoop;
}
}
}
chest.getInventory().addItem(resStack);
dropped = true;
}
if(!dropped)
{
ChunkID CID = NodeList.get(NID).coreChunk;
Bukkit.getWorld(CID.world).dropItem(new Location(Bukkit.getWorld(CID.world),(CID.x>>4)+8,255,(CID.z>>4)+8),resStack);
}
}
}
}
>>
File: 1330829335317.jpg (60 KB, 443x302) Image search: [Google]
1330829335317.jpg
60 KB, 443x302
>>51618512
>Studying CS
>Love Math
>Taking Linear Algebra which should be easy for Comp sci people
>dying in vector spaces and all that abstract shit in these last few chapters
>>
>>51625460
Wanna see god for real? Look in the mirror for a while when stoned.
>>
>>51625501
pot induced megalomania?
>>
>>51625519
No, not really. A very humbling experience to know that 99.999% of the time you don't realize that you are a god just like all humans are. When you see it, you will have to look away almost instantaneously.
>>
>>51624574
I remember when we took on a new hire from MIT. I was expecting some kind of quality, a legit fucking hacker. I was under the impression that they taught SICP the very first year! I couldn't be more wrong. He could barely into Python, had to be babysat most of the time, only lasted a month. Had a similar problem with a guy from Berkley.

What the fuck do they actually teach over there? It wasn't always like this right?
>>
>>51625611
It still isn't. I've never heard of an MIT CS graduate not being able to code at all. Are you sure he wasn't an MIT *dropout*? That he studied CS? Something about your story is amiss. There just aren't enough people willing to let a single person to cheat off of them for someone to sneak through MIT's CS program without learning anything.
>>
>>51619608

> Differential Equations

Are you even applying them to 3D problems? If not, you surely chose the wrong major.
>>
>>51625482
>Vector spaces
>Abstract
Kek looks like you will be flipping burgers soon.
>>
>>51625482

Imagine it in 3D space. A vector is a point with a direction and magnitude in 3D space. Now you need to convert from 3D (world) space to something like Local (personal) space. Matrices represent something like a body. It has all the properties required to model orientation, position, and scale. You can think of vectors as forces that act upon matrices (e.g. rigidbodies). It ties in with Calculus via Physics equations pertaining to 3 dimensions.
>>
>>51625888
That's the most disgusting definition I have ever heard. A vector space over a field F, is a set V that satisfies eight axioms which we will leave to the reader to find.
>>
Ok so CS! = programming, but I do love programming and maths. So what sorts of jobs opportunities are available for guys like me
>>
>>51626532
Literally anything in the field, unless you're Mexican
>>
>>51626599
What if he is Indian?
>>
>Know everything and more than every student and teacher
>Could easily land in on a supervisory job
>Can't because I am completely awful at maths except what you use in everyday life including but not limited to cooking. leading to not passing the course

I'm not the only one with this problem, I hope.
>>
>>51625382
shut the fuck up faggot you go to ASU it's not even a real university
>>
>>51618512
I'm actually studying CS in Cambridge (where Turing studied), apart from Artificial Intelligence (which I have dropped), there is a surprising lack of "pure" maths in the Tripos...
>>
>>51625374
>I'm a first year but technically a junior in credits.
>>
>>51621882
Logic is math.
>>
>barely know college algebra
>making six figures as web dev

rofl
>>
>>51625482
>Love Math
>Taking Linear Algebra
How can you even say you love math if you haven't taken any real courses yet?
>>
>>51627083
what javascript frameworks do you use
>>
>>51621800
you're perfect then
>>
>>51623056

I'm in SE and I have to take calc 1-3, discrete math, linear alg, diff equations, and stats.
>>
>>51626837
ASU doesn't rank in the top 10 (let alone the top 5).
>>
>>51624574
What would anyone need 8 nested loops for?
>>
I used to enjoy math on some level but most of the math professors here have been complete shit which has really sucked any enjoyment out of it for me.
>>
>>51627555
I already explained the circumstances. PhD programs don't check for specific undergraduate coursework after the overall determination of whether to admit you. I did a social sciences program that didn't require calculus (there was an option for a few calculus classes and 1 stats class, or more stats classes and no calculus, and I took the latter).

Once you get in, you can take whatever you want as long as you eventually ace the breadth courses, which only requires sufficient working knowledge to do the problem sets and final project.
>>
>>51627561
Here we go loop-the-loop...
https://youtu.be/31BsOzHfzbM
>>
>>51626910
just out of curiosity what year are you and what year did you learn about Turing machine?
>>
I told my friends that I'll be getting out of CS to study math and they all looked at me like I was the fucking unabomber
>>
>>51624574
>programming isn't cs
I assume it's like a sub-topic of cs though, right?
What exactly is cs?
>>
>>51627785
don't go down this rabbit hole, it's just an exercise for autistic people to split hairs over the difference between the praxis of programming versus the practice of computer science.
>>
>>51627785
CS a subfield of mathematical logic involving computability theory, complexity theory and similar, combined with more standard discrete math topics such as graph theory. That doesn't necessarily reflect what some universities usually do in their undergraduate CS programs, though.
>>
>M.Sc. in Technische Informatik
>specialized in circuit design
>designing chips for AMD
>300€ starting
>>
>>51628061
>>designing chips for AMD
>>300€ starting
sounds legit
>>
>>51624302
Are you talking about back end or front end?
Or it doesnt matter?
>>
>>51618786
because the remaining 15% is different for everyone.
>>
>>51624961
>Working against an API
So write an API that encapsulates the shitty API.
>>
>>51621882
Discrete Mathematics is Mathematics
>>
>>51623215
SE at my school is mostly the same as CS.
Only a few courses are changed
>>
>>51618512
Math major here.

Hate math.

Just doing it for the knowledge to gain for applying it to ML projects, plus that piece of paper.
>>
>Horrible math student
>Began programming in grade eight and have a profession that involves it

>>51618601
This is honestly true, and it is just algebra on a very basic level.
>>
>>51627958
I prefer the math from theoretical CS much more since it requires actual thinking.

Instead of the crap you get in analysis etc., which is mostly just "mechanically follow these certain steps to solve some problem, no thinking required". Stuff that any shitty computer can do far better than me.
>>
all math is easy, it is just sometimes poorly taught
>>
File: 1447825968671.jpg (232 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1447825968671.jpg
232 KB, 900x675
>>51619576
kek ur pretty fucked m8, feeling lost is never good and you should work on that (^:
>>
>>51622991
you whiny bitch in my country. you HAVE to calculate everything by hand. in every school. and this assures <3.7 GPA for the whole country
>>
>>51628713

Nah, math is just a hard subject. It's easy if you have a natural propensity for it, and most people don't. It's also hard to like something that you're shit at.
>>
>>51629559
there are plenty of cases, including me, that only started to really get good at math after getting a good teacher and were before that really shitty at it. There is nothing subjective about art, therefor anyone with a memory and basic problem solving skills can lean math
>>
>>51628441
You can and should be full stack as a web dev. Even then you may feel like a code monkey.
>>
>>51628674
Programming is not CS you autist
>>
>>51618512
Only mundane programming jobs for you son.
>>
File: raf,750x1000,075,t,white.jpg (97 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
raf,750x1000,075,t,white.jpg
97 KB, 750x1000
>this thread
>>
>>51625773
Yeah man, computer engineering doesn't use a third dimension at all, I'm sure.

Just like how I'll be taking 2-D quantum mechanics, right?

Senpai you don't learn diff eq if you aren't going to use it.
>>
>>51625934
wow straight from the textbook you must be a real hit at parties
>>
File: 1365497420654.png (58 KB, 447x436) Image search: [Google]
1365497420654.png
58 KB, 447x436
>>51624862
>>
File: steve_jobs_has_a_seizure.gif (1013 KB, 400x224) Image search: [Google]
steve_jobs_has_a_seizure.gif
1013 KB, 400x224
>CS major and find math super interesting
>barely pass the classes that have anything to do with math

It is all just too overwhelming. My mind goes into these crazy tangents and I often realize that have overthought every single problem that is presented in the exercises.

>>51622676
>He will spend his career maintaining office software

Sounds like a dream job to a simpleton sperg like me.
>>
>>51632163
I'm the opposite. I'm shit at math, still interested in it as a subject and tool, but I can almost effortlessly pass any other class. Physics? Computer engineering? Programming? No problem at all. Calc 2? I hope I at least get a fucking C.
>>
>>51627609
Most community colleges even teach it during CS101
>>
>>51625822
>>51627133
Just fuck me already

how much more abstract can we get
>>
>>51619236
You should just drop out and do a coding bootcamp for a month
>>
>>51618726
>>somehow end in an actuarial position with two exams
DO FUCKING TELL.

Seriously, I'm currently a maths undergrad and that's the job I fucking want, how is it? I'd love to see the pros/cons.
>>
>tfw doing CE
cant even do calc 1
Kill me. Please.
>>
How the fuck do I learn maths? I want to like it, I want to know more, but it just doesn't click.
>>
>>51619702
>thinking your profs care about you or know who you are
>>
>>51619170
Those indian boys will be better programmers than you and have better jobs, hope you understand this.
>>
What the fuck. Why does high school in my country teach undergrad American maths?
>>
>>51636477
High schools in america teach undergrad American math too, but generally not public schools unless they're rich as fuck. My roomie was taking discrete fucking math junior year of high school while mine only had up to AP Calculus, or the equivalent to Calculus 1 stretched out for an entire school year.
>>
>>51635908
im doing first semseter of CE right now and it's not calc that's killing me, but chem

i only took chem once in high school, 10th grade and it wasn't even an MC or AP class

like fuck me m8
>>
How much programming does an Information Security Analyst need to know?
>>
>>51636627
all of it
>>
>>51636304
I'm at a small campus right now, it's not what I think it's how it is.

The dude called me a perfect student in front of the class on Monday. He does that shit a lot. Even sat in on one of my calc classes and complimented my reasoning for a question the next day in lab.

He's an ex-Soviet physicist and a pretty rad guy, so I'm cool with it.
>>
>>51636477
American math education is really slow. My younger brother is a Phd student at a famous university the US, and he had to spend his first year doing shit he did for his master's and even bachelor's. It's like they assume you go into grad school with just a BSc or something.
>>
File: 1443918053324.jpg (8 KB, 272x252) Image search: [Google]
1443918053324.jpg
8 KB, 272x252
>>51618639
>>51619608
No, fuck YOU. Calculus is literally just the idea of small change. It's literally just f(x+h)-f(x)/h and back again. The hard stuff is the algebra that you've already been doing your whole life catching up to you.

The problem is you dumbfucks thinking that math is about moving numbers around, and when you're forced to think from a truly mathematical perspective for the first time in calculus you freak out.
>>
>>51636788
Bruh are you serious? Kill yourself you autistic loser.
>>
>>51636845
>can't even simple math
>>
>>51636845
He's right, though. Most people drop out because of the shock, not because it's hard (it really isn't).
>>
>>51636726
you are an undergrad, no one, and I repeat, no one

gives a fuck about you family

undergrad = consumers = $$$
>>
>>51635957
You might just be stupid
>>
>>51625773
Are you retarded?

>what is signal processing
>>
>>51635957
Patience. Get a good book on any mathematical subject, and go through everything sequentially. Be sure you know and understand the previously presented definitions, proofs and theorems before moving to the next chapter, or else you will most likely not understand it all.
>>
>>51636845
Calculus is piss easy shit. Analysis is hard.
inb4 some remark that their Calculus was already Analysis. Good for you, I envy your 10 american centimeter cock.
>>
>>51636895
Are you too autistic to understand the concept of a professional relationship?

Even if the prof is literally just sucking his dick for tuition money to his department, that's a good thing, because it keeps the department in check, and it also helps the undergrad find what he wants to do in life.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.