[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This board confuses me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
What is the point of building high end computers if only to program on some variant of gnu + linux?

Isn't gnu + linux supposed to be lightweight? For a board of supposed programmers and linux enthusiasts, you sure are obsessed with spending extravagant amounts of money you will never put to use.

I mean Jesus, RMS uses some dusty 2005 garbage laptop because all he needs is emacs. Is it really all for gaming? Is /g/ /v/?
>>
This is why /g/ needs to be split in two. Then we can have a board where we actually talk about technology and another board where then freekek open sores retards can jerk it to Stallman
>>
>>51617734
>What is the point of building high end computers if only to program on some variant of gnu + linux?

I have 32GB of RAM and I start swapping if I run two builds from scratch in parallel.

Maybe you just work with shitty fizzbuzz tier software?
>>
>Technology enthusiasts like technology

Literal sub-retard OP
>>
>>51617734
What is a dual booting what is going pass through
>>
>>51617734
>being too stupid to realize that compiling a large project can benefit from a better comp
>>
>>51617785
What the fuck distro are you running that takes up 16 gb of RAM? I could run half a dozen instances of windows 10 with multiple tabs of Chrome with that.
>>
>>51617855
>thinking a distro impacts resources needed to compile something
>being this retarded
Not other Anson, but my base distro memory usage with a desktop and windows open is 600mb.
Last big project I compiled needed 22gb of swap.
>>
>>51617734
>What is the point of building high end computers

So they can run a Windows VM with plenty of resources and full screen it so their mother doesn't find out they fucked the computer up making it useless and send them to their aunt and uncle in bel air.
>>
>Is /g/ /v/?
Yup, only with more autism, elitism and denial
>>
File: fQUMvfU.jpg (38 KB, 580x346) Image search: [Google]
fQUMvfU.jpg
38 KB, 580x346
>>51617734
vidya games work fine on linux.
i tried the new half life, metro last light redux, shadow of mordor and they all run great.
>>
File: 1408118294306.png (252 KB, 511x428) Image search: [Google]
1408118294306.png
252 KB, 511x428
>tfw bought 1500 eurobucks computer for gaymen years ago
>lost all playan desire while waiting for package to arrive

I think I installed windows 2 weeks after it finally got here. I do not wish this empty feel on anyone.
>>
File: borb.png (21 KB, 173x133) Image search: [Google]
borb.png
21 KB, 173x133
>>51618659
>he bought a computer
the best part of a new computer is taking an hour or two to build it. nothing as satisfying as that first click and boot up sequence
>>
I think for most people it's just consumerism. Gotta have the latest shit just because. These same people have $600-800 phones for web browsing and listening to music.
>>
>>51618734
do you really think I'd explain the process of ordering and assembling pc components for a feelsbait story? fucking autism
>>
>>51617734
Maybe their are people on /g/ who do more heavy weight shit?

Also GNU can be lightweight, and it can be heavyweight.

You don't build a high end machine just to run windows fast, you build it to run programs on windows fast.

OP fucking think for a half a second.
>>
My coding laptop has a faster processor and an ssd, while my gaming and multimedia pc has a fast video card and multiple large hard drives.

Both require different specs.
>>
>>51617785
Retard detected
I regulary compile complete linux distributions, its my job, even projects like qt, kernel and webengines never require more then 8gb ram with j8
>>
>>51617855
>idle OS are lightweight
Thx m8

>>51618998
You mean each of them individually?

We use containers and complete versioning, so building any application from scratch basically builds everything a distro would need to support it.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.