[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I just bought a Shield TV for the living room, mostly for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: OvSchuN.jpg (175 KB, 960x593) Image search: [Google]
OvSchuN.jpg
175 KB, 960x593
So I just bought a Shield TV for the living room, mostly for Plex. I have a R9 280X in my PC right now, is it worth it to "upgrade" to a GTX 970 to take advantage of the game streaming or is that just a meme?

pls respond.
>>
You bought a meme tablet. You could have just bought a steam link
>>
>>51615765
It isn't a tablet you fucking retard.
>>
welcome to the ecosystem nigga

u gonna love it

also 970 is more powerful than a 280x
>>
>>51615783
Everything is so meta here I can't tell if this is a troll or a reverse troll or a reverse reverse troll.
>>
>970
>upgrade

kekeke
>>
File: crosseyed.jpg (15 KB, 300x293) Image search: [Google]
crosseyed.jpg
15 KB, 300x293
>>51615724
OK I specifically asked you guys to pls respond.
>>
yes it is a good time, also check if the 980 is on sale somewhere first.
>>
File: 1448416376083.jpg (176 KB, 984x733) Image search: [Google]
1448416376083.jpg
176 KB, 984x733
>>51615724
Sell it and get an Apple TV.
Thank me later.
>>
>>51616655
I'd prefer a good Plex experience, so that's definitely not happening.

Thanks though anon.
>>
>>51616655
desu vault
>>
>>51616655
>No 4k
Just fuck my shit up f@m
>>
Wait for Nvidia Pascal
>>
>>51616955
Looks like mid-2016 at the absolute earliest, do I really want to wait that long?
>>
>>51615724
I have no experience with the game streaming all I know is that are you willing to pay $300 more dollars to sit on your couch with 50ms+ lag to play your games that are on your PC
>>
>>51617104
I'd really only be paying the difference of the two cards, since I'd sell the 280X. But if it is a good experience I'd be willing to part with the cash. There's just something about sitting on the couch and playing on a big screen that does it for me sometimes.
>>
>>51615724
If you're going to be streaming make sure you're router isn't a piece of shit with terrible upload speeds. Otherwise the experience will be unacceptable.
>>
>>51617356
It isn't, but both device would be wired in my case so I'm not sure that it would matter too much.
>>
File: Ya6vEFe.png (50 KB, 942x372) Image search: [Google]
Ya6vEFe.png
50 KB, 942x372
Holy fucking shit is this really necessary? What is the difference between all these models?

SC
SC+
SClk
FTW
FTW+

wat.
>>
>>51615724
>plex
Top fucking kek. Get lost technologically-challenged fool
>>
>>51617533
>I don't like what you like.
Top fucking kike. Nothing just werks™ like it does for me, sorry m8.
>>
>>51617554
O, really. I don't have to buy a separate device to stream my video collection and I can watch it anywhere I want. I guess your setup doesn't just work huh.
>>
>>51617656
I don't HAVE to buy a separate device sperglord. Why are you so insecure about your choices that you have to try to feel superior on an anonymous message board?
>>
>>51617656
what the fug do you use nerd
>>
>>51617679
Not at all what I'm trying to proof. You say this shitbox just works and I just gave you one reason why it doesn't. But enjoy your toy. I bet it looks good in your cheap apartment next to the other shitboxes you probably have.
>>
>>51617822
>what I'm trying to proof
Great job trying to sound smart on the Internet. Also I didn't say "this shitbox" just works, hell I don't even have it yet. But for my purposes which include streaming from my server to 4 TVs in the house, sharing my library with friends/family and online media management, Plex just werks™ (again, for me).

So relax little guy, I'm sure whatever you use is good too. It just isn't what I use, and I'm OK with that.
>>
>>51615724
>gaymez
Back to /v/ faggot
>>
>>51615765
Fuck off retard
>>
>>51617496
They can charge more for the higher tier of the same card the more lower tiers there are.
>>
why not just get a 960?

more powerful and even cheaper
>>
File: Street View.jpg (128 KB, 1632x920) Image search: [Google]
Street View.jpg
128 KB, 1632x920
>>51615724
In-home streaming is pretty decent. I'm doing it between my beefy computer and an older one running SteamOS.
Keep in mind that it's only fun with games designed for controllers (ie racing games, etc). Playing FPS with a controller is a painful experience.
The Steam Controller makes FPS a bit more bearable (aiming with absolute positionning instead of pointing a stick in a direction and WAITING for the crosshairs to be in position) but yeah FPS still suck.
Other games where you need a mouse and KB (for example CIV 5) become playable but the reality is that it's just awkward without a keyboard.

So I don't think I'd recommend dishing a bunch of cash for a new video card unless you play a lot of controller-based games. The mouse+keyboard is still vastly superior for most games.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.