[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Codeacadmy, is it good to learn?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: systems_programming.jpg (339 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
systems_programming.jpg
339 KB, 1280x960
So I'm interested in programming and I looked into codeacademy since everyone recommends it. I created an account and picked java, I currently stopped with the lessons since I grew tired of plugging in random stuff that I didn't really understrand. It basically writes the code for you and it tells you what type of values you can type. Is it like this all the way, or does it start making you type the whole thing? Any other resources you guys recommend
>>
I learned everything I know with it. Pretty good. Use other resources though.
>>
I did most of codecademy content just for fun. Don't listen to /g/ I find it pretty pedagogic. Next step would be to read some books / lectures on universities' websites.
You'll encounter a high amount of indian teacher online. I tend to avoid them as they almost never give a straightforward answer and they tend to choose the most counter intuitive examples to illustrate a concept for the first time. When they spend some inane amount of time on trivial stuff and when they have to go through some mathematics they never explain the steps.

Also, I don't like indian's accent.
>>
>>51613506
Codecademy is decent for getting a basic overview of whatever you want to learn. But if you want to dive deep into java, definitely find java-centric resources instead.
>>
>>51613644
This

Brushing up on my maths in Khan Academy was an exercise in frustration. Salman Khan is probably the most repetitive, roundabout motherfucker alive - that's including Louis Rossman
>>
>>51613506
ill recommend you something : write some fucking code and stop asking questions. Sit down and write fucking programs instead of asking about them.
>>
let me tell you something it's like this, someone says "i wanna be an artist and paint paintings" but they don't know how to paint...so they go to all the other painters and ask them "hauw to paint" what should the other painters tell that person ?
>>
>>51614409
This is the most stupid "advice" ever
Stop being such a cock
>>
either you fucking make it or you get the fuck out, and no java is not a good language it sucks ass hardcore. If you want at least a grain of respect as a beginner pretend to learn c or c++
>>
it teaches repetition, like zed shaw's lessons
you have to do it constantly for it to work.
if you want the inside out approach start from theory with SICP or something
>>
>>51614436
colour theory
composition
some basic tecniques for certain textures and effects
perspective
some art history and theory

after all that then they can start to do some basic paintings
>>
>>51614460
I suppose you are a programming guru. why are you assaulting me instead of sharing your epic wisdom with this young traveler ?
>>
>>51614510
yea, right now in this thread you wanna explain all that is my point..?
>>
>>51613506
From the little bit I tried before I started my comp sci major, it helped teach me a bit of syntax. The actual basics might not be covered as well there. At that point it'd probably be best by then to pick up another book. Either way, the most important thing is learning to solve actual problems.

Like if you're told to print all primes from 1 to 100, it's more important to know the logic than the language. Even knowing really easy examples like that will put you ahead of some of my fucking classmates though.
>>
>>51614516
you said write some fucking code and stop asking questions
I got news for you, when you know nothing about writing code its a little bit hard to do that

>>51614533
wtf are you talking about?
>>
>>51614570
>>when you know nothing about painting.making a really good picture it's pretty hard

maybe painting is not your thing...OP let me give you some REAL advise : Aquire The C programming language. If you manage to do all of the examples in that book. Then come back with some real questions.

if you can't complete the book, programming is not for you, it's that simple
>>
>>51613506
Start with javascript instead of java?
>>
>>51614662
>when you know nothing about painting.making a really good picture it's pretty hard
youre just proving my point? youre not making any sense are you
>>
maybe "javascript" will be a great way to learn how to program, and not java. I bet you never even fucking wrote a functional program that did anything aside printing the number 1-10 on your screen
>>
>>51614662
you write like a freshman high schooler.

hopefully your code isn't as awful
>>
>>51614718
>>51614699
>>51614711
>>51614718
learning java because my university is using it to teach its courses
>>
>>51613506
heres how i learned to program when i was 15
>self taught, currently making 50K with muh php

>get an idea, literally any idea
>break it down like a puzzle
>figure it out piece by piece
>eventually build the puzzle

like this:
i want to make an IRC chat bot in C++

break it down and start googling shit
>1: how do i make a console application
>2: how do i make a c++ application talk to the internet
>3: how does the IRC protocol work
>4: use info from 2&3 to build a program to connect to an IRC server and communicate

when i was learning shit i'd basically end up with a few separate programs, one basically testing each feature.
then i welded it all together, and got it to preform the task i wanted.

rinse wash and repeat until you don't need googles help anymore.

you can use this "breakdown method" to program or accomplish pretty much anything you fucking need to, program anything your fucking mind can think of and eventually you'll have taught yourself everything you need to know through trail and error.

stop letting a website teach you how to code, do it how i mentioned and you will have much greater problem solving skills in the future, plus it makes your brain constantly create new ideas for you to learn/program.

You will only learn this skill if you venture outside of your comfort zone and fail, fail a lot, like seriously you will fail, just never stop trying

>inb4 tldr
like i give a fuck, bored at work
>>
>>51614699
>Start with javascript instead of java?
>>51614718
>maybe "javascript" will be a great way to learn how to program

hahahahaa
>>
>>51614937
Nice memeed my friend :^)
>>
>>51614849
>learning java because my university is using it to teach its courses

You can run JavaScript on JVM. No worries man.
>>
File: 7905.jpg (109 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
7905.jpg
109 KB, 500x600
>>51613644
>>51613700
Truth and quality opinions
>>
>>51613506
look guy, these threads are great because people here understands what it is like to be alone and wanting to do something with a computer. But if you can't figure out how to pick up a fucking book and do the examples programming is not for you
>>
>>51613506
I was doing the Java lessons about a year ago, but I stopped when I realized it was telling me my code was good and letting me go on to the next lesson even when I was making obvious errors that it should have picked up on.

I guess the fact that it taught me enough to know I was screwing up even though it was passing me was good though.
>>
>>51615145
why so hostile? I don't regularly pick books up, all my learning has been through sites or teachers which is why I'm asking for recommendations. I tried one recommendation and it didn't live up to its expectations since I had previously picked up a book on python that was more thorough and actually felt like I was learning. The thing is that I detest books and it took me a lot to actually start reading it. The internet resources have helped me more than my textbooks in learning and my grades have improved as a result, so I was trying to do a similar thing I've done in the past with programming which is ask people the recommended sites and alternatives.
>>
>>51615222

>look op i did java a year ago and realized that i was a massive faggot all i want now is to learn c, but I don't know how
>>
>>51615222
Same here but more the fact that I was progressing through without really knowing what heck I was doing in any real context.
The explantaions they give are so useless and then youre onto the next stage not really knowing jack shit but as far as the course is concerned youre "learning"
>>
>>51615285
because what you are asking that question is like asking

"how do i write a book"
"how do i build a house"
"how do i paint a picture"

you start from the bottom, you pick up the basic lecture and start from there. When you finish that, if you run into ANY problems at all I can assure you, that this board has more than 20 people ready to assist you with even the most complicated problems
>>
>>51613506
ive done whole java course on codecademy and i even understood whats going on since its really similar to other languages, but it still thaught me nothing

i think codecademy will teach you syntax only
>>
>>51613700
khan academy courses are really frustrating

especially doing web development courses feels like they are meant for 6 years old potatoes

fucking pamela
>>
codecademy is fucking trash. just pirate whatever is the best reviewed book for whatever language you want to learn. if you don't know what language you want to start with, go with C.
>>
i would really recommend to start with python. It's more simple to understand as a beginner.
>>
Did codecademy.

I would not call those that did codecademy and codecademy alone "programmers". It's a stepping stone in a long series of stepping stones. Logic is the most important asset and codecademy doesn't provide that.
>>
Go to Edx, enroll on CS50, learn some actual comp sci along with C

It's well paced, and offers a good challenge at a decent pace.

That being said, I found Codecademy to be great for picking up a new language. One day and I was really comfy with Python.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.