[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Capacitive/Physical vs Onscreen buttons
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 10
File: Buttons-buttons-buttons.jpg (603 KB, 1000x629) Image search: [Google]
Buttons-buttons-buttons.jpg
603 KB, 1000x629
What does /g/ prefer?
>>
>>51600675
Why not just do a OP2 and let you choose between either
>>
I think the best option is to always have the option. Any phone with capacitive buttons can also have on-screen buttons, but it only works one way.
>>
i don't really care, but physical buttons do degrade over time, and are just another point of failure.
>>
>>51600675
Onscreen , they can't get dirty
>>
>>51600675
capacitive/physical. why waste screenspace on literally every screen? you can always switch to onscreen if they fail.
>>
File: 1448526856345.gif (2 MB, 350x300) Image search: [Google]
1448526856345.gif
2 MB, 350x300
>>51600740
i think i misunderstood the topic
>>
Physical>on-screen>capacitive

Capacitive is shit tier, by giving no click but still taking up physical space that can't be hidden. Plus you can't rest your fingers on them without activating them like when you wanna watch a movie or something.

On-screen feel the same as capacitive, but you can change ehat they look like, their order, and the number of buttons. while they do take up screen space, they can easily be hidden when playing games or anything important, or you could even just install PIE and not have them at all.

Physical is god tier obviously, being able to be very small, can rest fingers on, and tell them apart instantly by touch. The only possible issue is they might wear out but that would take a long time.

Unfortunately no God tier physical button phone exists. I'd love a phone with minimal bezel using the home buttons from the droid X but everything is capacitive cancer unfortunately.
>>
>>51600715
This is something that one plus arguably did well and I congratulate them for this.

>>51600675
Onscreen>physical>capacitive
>inb4 sameshit defense force
>>
>>51600675
Physical >>> onscreen > capacitive
>>
Onscreen is worst by default. I'm sorry but I cant stand having a black bar in the bottom of my screen all the time. And you don't even get more screen than phones with captivity/physical and you also lose the double click capability.
>>
If the display is OLED, on-screen. If the display is LCD, physical. Physical buttons shouldn't use icons that indicate their function, though. They should be function-neutral, like the buttons on the Oneplus 2, and programmable.
>>
>>51600740
>but physical buttons do degrade over time
But not over the lifetime of the phone, unless you expose them to liquid or something which is a different fault.

I definitely prefer physical/capacitive.
>>
>>51601724
And by physical, I mean capacitive. I thought /g/'s obsession with mechanical buttons on cell phones was limited to the morons who inexplicably think that horizontal sliders are the pinnacle of cell phone design. Why would you ever want more moving parts than are necessary? It's not like any cell phone button has ever provided a pleasant or informative tactile experience...
>>
>>51601101
Every single smart phone has giant bezels on the bottom. The capacitive buttons are not taking up anymore space than normal
>>
>>51601909
I'm sorry but you're wrong. Physical home buttons are a lot more pleasant to use. iPhone probably feels better than any other but the one in my galaxy also feels great to press.
>>
>>51600675
Either are fine.
The touch buttons are good and all but so long as I can hide the software ones for extra space I can live with it.
>>
>>51601644
>this guy confirmed for never having used onscreen buttons
Onscreen buttons can be programmed to disappear.
You don't lose double click or long press just because it isn't physical, what the fuck is wrong with you?
It's all about what the OS decides to do with them.

I don't know what fuckass Android does with it, but Windows 10 Mobile lets you slide upwards to hide/show the onscreen buttons, and has both long press and double click features for all three buttons.
>>
>>51600675
I greatly prefer physical buttons.
The more tactile the better.
>>
>>51601909
>It's not like any cell phone button has ever provided a pleasant or informative tactile experience...

They did in the 1990's.
>>
I like having the option of capacitive. Just look at the g3, there is absolutely enough space on the bottom bezel for them to have included buttons! I prefer capacitive because i think they are less likely to fail over physical
>>
>>51600675
Off screen touch buttons when
>>
>>51602324
I've used onscreen. I know it can disappear but I'm talking about the times you have it on. Also never seen onscreen button programmable to double click.
>>
>>51602324
Wow really? I used wanglows phone 8 for a while on a cheapo phone while my main was getting repaired and it really annoyed me that you couldn't hide the navkeys

>>51601724
I like this logic but the only problem is that you risk getting screen burn on the amoled
>>
I must be retarded but could someone explain the difference between a physical and a capacitive button
>>
>>51602716
On the OP image the physical button on the Samsung phone is the Home button, the capacitive buttons are the Back and Menu/Task Manager buttons.
>>
>>51600675
Onscreen wastes screen space but because my main concern in buying and using a smartphone is being /fa/, I can't imagine having ugly ass buttons like some of the nerds on /g/. I also can't imagine having a logo in place of the ugly home button like in OP pic related, so I guess you missed the point too :^]

A E S T H E T I C
>>
>>51603094
iPhone is the most aesthetic phone and it has a physical button. Your argument is invalid.
>>
>>51603669
>iPhone is the most aesthetic phone
it looks like a worn down bar of soap
>>
>>51603669
But it doesn't have a capacitive back button which is why it is shit.

They would have gotten rid of the physical button if it weren't for fingerprint scanner too.
>inb4 they get rid of the physical button
>>
>>51603735
Poor

>>51603747
Swipe from left > any form of back button

Git gud /g/
>>
>>51603669
man it must feel good to actually be retarded. you can buy a niggersung device and not even be able to tell the difference between it and an iphone.
>>
Physical.

I'd like a full keyboard and a Trackpoint style pointer (basically a Blackberry), but I've already lost that battle.
>>
>>51603891
>action dependent on how the application handles it
Nope.
>>
Am I the only one who prefers onscreen? You can always theme them, or make them fuck off at will.
Even when I had a Galaxy S5 I modded it to add onscreen.
>>
>>51604015
>faster, more practical and more comfortable to use
>b-b-b-b-but

Get out poorfag.
>>
>>51603905
You cant even differentiate an iPhone from a shit Samsung and you're calling other niggas retarded? lel
>>
>>51601644
>I cant stand having a black bar in the bottom of my screen all the time
This desu. Worse is when the nav bar disappears when you need it the most.

Are there any phones with physical buttons (but not a keyboard) left?
>>
>>51604119
nice job trying to hide your ugly ass face and the fact that you have no gf and no friends behind a toy made and designed specifically for retards, Igor :^)
>>
>>51604119
>>faster, more practical and more comfortable to use
Except that is complete bullshit.
Also what if you have a view that scrolls horizontally and you scroll it from the left? Does it go back? Does it scroll the view? Will it interfere when you want to go back?

Nothing beats having a capacitive button in a fixed location.
>>
>>51604194

well, you clearly didn't win that argument judging by your response.
>>
>>51604263
Ignore the new poster butting into the conversation.
>>
I ave a gs6, my first smartphone with capacitive buttons and a physical home button.

It would be terrible if the cap buttons were assignable and less dedicated. For example, the back and recents button are notoriously backwards from stock Android. Really no reason for that....

The home button still feels clicky and fine. I'm scared for the day it fails somehow. I also think physical keys can let water in easier.
>>
>>51604237
>Except that is complete bullshit.
Wrong.

>Also what if you have a view that scrolls horizontally and you scroll it from the left? Does it go back? Does it scroll the view? Will it interfere when you want to go back?

Just like when you pull down the notification menu on your shitdroid when you are in page that scrolls vertically it doesn't interfere, when you swipe from left on a page that scrolls horizontally it also doesn't interfere.

Nice argument poorfag. Never used iPhone before.

>>51604194
Nice job being poor.
>>
ugh having to constantly click a button is so fucking 2008, thank god that shit is mostly dead. glad I don't use a Samsung phone either.
>>
>>51604368
I have a qt girlfriend tho, how about you uglyboi? when's your next video of you crying about the smelly Indian driving a honda civic while you beat one to the thought of smelling her hair? lel fucking nerd :D
>>
>>51604368
>Just like when you pull down the notification menu on your shitdroid when you are in page that scrolls vertically it doesn't interfere...
Because the Notification bar is present and if it isn't present then it does interfere.

There is no area present for you to use to begin the back gesture except off the screen which means that if you swipe in from the side and start a bit too far to the left it will go back instead of scrolling the view.

You shitcunt who probably doesn't own any smartphone.
>>
>>51601724
Are you sure you don't have that backwards? I'd rather NOT have OSC buttons with an OLED display, for fear of burnin.
>>
>>51604447
Wow and you dumb faggots call iPhone fags tech illiterates.

It doesn't need to be a bar or 'an area' of any kind you fucking retard. The phone can tell when you're pulling from outside the screen or when you're just scrolling.

Get a load of this guy. Go back to /v/ pls.
>>
>>51604515
>Go back to /v/

What happened? Is telling people to go back to reddit not the cool hip thing anymore?
>>
>>51604530
/v/ is where kids should be. Reddit is too mature for you.
>>
>>51604575
so you're a redditor
>>
>>51604515
>the phone is magic and can tell if you are scrolling or want to go back when your gesture starts off screen
Oh wow, you are fucking retarded. Confirmed for not using any touch screen device ever.

Don't worry, one day your mom will buy you an iToy.
>>
>>51600675

I've used both I prefer software buttons myself
>>
>>51604788
why?
>>
>>51604743
Its not magic you dumb fuck, its called technology. Ever heard of it? Just like when you are on a full screen app if you swipe down the notification bar appears even thou there was nothing there in the first place. Any simple touch screen can tell if you're swiping from outside the screen or not.

You are the one that never used an iPhone in your life (because you are poor) and its calming it doesn't work. Go use on, idiot. Steal if you have to. Or ask anyone using iPhones if they have problems swiping from the left. Fucking uneducated poorfag.
>>
Physical buttons are the most reliable. I love progression of technology as much as the next guy but id love to see some good ol physical buttons (not just the home) on some 2016 flagship, just to change it up. The galaxy s4,5 & 6 active phones have physical buttons and they look and feel so nice.
>>
>>51604835
>Any simple touch screen can tell if you're swiping from outside the screen or not.
No fucking shit, but you have to be precise. That's the fucking point.
If you start outside the screen at all while you are swiping from the left to scroll a view it will go back.
You fucking moronic cunthole.
>>
>>51604826

I feel they respond better, also phones look better without physical buttons
>>
>>51604905
Amen.
>>
Physical > Capacitive >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Onscreen
>>
>>51600675
HTC a9 so both =^)
>>
>>51604888
Not really. Its really hard to that. Once again, being poor that you are you never used iPhone. Do you really think apple would implement a feature that doesn't work properly. This isn't google, friend. Really you are embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>51604835
why so mad tho bro? maybe you should go and masturbate to release all that pent-up anger while i make love to my GF ;)
>>
Gesture controls(like ubuntu phone or sailfish) is the master race. PIE controls are essentially the close second. Anything else is pure masochism and kekoldry.

>All the usability without any space being taken up.
>no black bar on the screen for garbage buttons. Also good for OLED since less burn-in.
>no space wasted below display like samshit and ishit devices
>extra space can be used for more useful shit like stereo speakers or just extend the display size(or even shrink the phone size)
>less failure points(physical keys)
>better for waterproof phone
>looks better for A E S T H E T I C S
>>
I find it kind of dumb that physical buttons still exist. Smartphones should be nothing but a screen covering the front face completely.
>>
File: 1.jpg (53 KB, 525x551) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
53 KB, 525x551
>>51605037
>has the grammar skills of a fucking indian
>thinks he can act condescending on other people
>>
>>51600675
Physical.

>any day
>any week
>any year
>any decade
>any century
>any millennium
>any eon
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-29-22-19-07.png (258 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-29-22-19-07.png
258 KB, 1440x2560
I'm on a blackberry PRIV.

This is what my screen looks like with a collapsed keyboard.
>>
>>51605095
>implying i'm native this shitty language

I could give two fucks about how I write it.

Nice pic you got there btw, poorfag. I bet you're fat as well.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-29-22-20-02.png (455 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-29-22-20-02.png
455 KB, 1440x2560
>>51605147

And this is my screen with the keyboard out
>>
>>51600675
As long as the screen menu bar has a dropdown arrow I'm fine with it
>>
>>51605074
To add to this, gestures and PIE controls can be customizable far more than hardware or on screen. You can set dedicated trigger spots, which gestore does what, size and look(for PIE), etc. Its hell of a lot easier for manlets with big phones, for left handed fucks and anyone who isnt right handed. It can also be used to summoj apps and other functions.
>>
>>51601176
>taking up screen real estate with buttons that could just go on the fuckhueg bezel right below it
good job
>>
>>51603669
Yeah maybe anything upto the iPhone 5s. The iPhone 6 looks like a kiddies toy with the stupid camera sticking out and >WHITELINES
>>
Pie or at the very least, on screen with expanded desktop. This shit right here is why I will never own a phone that can't be rooted and have the bootloader unlocked
>>
File: image%3A142232.png (293 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
image%3A142232.png
293 KB, 720x1280
Been using lmt pie since the gnex day 1
Don't have to reach down to access home,back,etc
>>
>>51600675

Physical-capacitives off the screen for me pluz.

I went from the Moto X to a Samsubg S5 and I like the physical ones except for the mechanical button. The pictured Samsung has both, but the mechanical button in the middle is annoying to press, wish it had a capacitive pad on top of the mechanical button. My Moto x now has screen burn-in over the buttons.

Physical-capacitives: Saves screen space, can't change layout/design (see how said Samsung has them switched)

Capacitive: Customizable, Screen burn in.
>>
File: oneplus-x-4.jpg (52 KB, 552x600) Image search: [Google]
oneplus-x-4.jpg
52 KB, 552x600
>>51600675
capacitive (no physical buttons, no lights) all day every day. you're a fucking tard if you need lights to be able to know where 3 buttons are. pretty much the only reason i bought the 1+X.
>>
>>51605151
go shit on the street boy, do you put it in a bag and eat it for breakfast too, you smelly indian?
>>
On screen for sure. I love how my G3 does them. Physical are honestly shit to me now. Not to mention I can move mine wherever I want and add and take away stuff. Whenever I go to use my wifes Samsung phone it's all backwards and it feels like ass using them since they don't even always register.
>>
No need for nav buttons, BB10 style
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-30-11-45-44.png (683 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-30-11-45-44.png
683 KB, 1080x1920
This screen is so huge that I don't really give a fuck about wasting space with a bar.
I really like how I can customize it with hotlinks and features, on cyanogen.
>>
File: recombu.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
recombu.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>
>>51610905
>all that space on the bottom
>better put our logo there in case people forget to turn their phone around.
>no, there's no space for buttons there, sorry
>>
Physical for all buttons.
Capacitive buttons suck shit. You can't rest your thumb on the bezel when holding it horizontal.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.