[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1
File: 20151129_134431.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
20151129_134431.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
Okay guys i made a bootable usb with the newest version of ubuntu on it and when i try to boot it, it goes to this screen and just stays there any ideas
>>
>>51597392
Acer lol
Blocking Webcam lol
>>
>>51597613
Acer is king for poor fags.
>>
>>51597613
>not blocking webcam
>>
>>51597392
When booting, try selecting UEFI or non-UEFI. Made a difference on the laptops I jacked with.
>>
>>51597392
Boot with legacy mode enabled. Your computer probably has some secure boot cancer on it
>>
>>51597770
>>51597731
Okay im a complete fucking newb to this hole linux idea. I dont see these options in my bios anywhere
>>
>>51597392
try pressing the tab key (may need to do it twice) and see if any suggestions appear.
>>
>>51597955
Yeah nothing happens
>>
>>51597392
i had a problem with an usb3 port some years ago, but i don't know if this is related.
was fixed using an usb2.0 port tough.
>>
>>51597999
Nice trips i only have 2.0 ports on this pos
>>
>>51597731
>>51597770
>implying the standard SYSLINUX is written for UEFI or anything but BIOS anyway
I'd suggest the opposite, try the UEFI form (but with Secure Boot off, of course).
>>
i had similar problem
solution: use a special program to write the boot media with zeroes, then format and so on
>>
>>51598055
Its originally a windows 7 so i dont think it has secure boot.
>>
>>51597392
S T O P S M O K I N G
>>
>>51598199
Impressed you noticed that but its my roomies not mine lol
>>
Let's go into a bit of detail

did you use any installer? when yes, which one? (unetbootin, ubuntu live cd,..)
which filesystem is the usb drive?
which usb drive is it? (on rare occasions the drive itself is the problem)
>>
Also, is it set up in a proper disk format for SYSLINUX to load from it (such as FAT32)? Does it have a SYSLINUX folder with a SYSLINUX.BIN file in it, and if so, what does http://md5file.com/calculator show for that SYSLINUX.BIN file?
>>
>>51598316
I used lili its set up it fat32 and its a microcenter 8gb drive
>>
>>51598316
Runs in e:
>>
>>51598325
Im not seeing either of those on this and it was unetbootin not lili
>>
Do it again and use rufus, and another distro.
>>
>>51598364
i'm not getting a specific answer in google search, but there are multiple reasons it won't boot

>bios detecting the usb drive as something different as an drive
>bios secure boot
>the usb drive izself
>config files for syslinux somewhat wrong (there are multiple solutions as well)

the one solution i've seen twice is using dd

see the second to last answer here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/196180/not-booting-from-usb-or-cd-syslinux-message
>>
>>51598538
Yeah ive googled the fuck out of it and cant find anything
>>
>>51598538
Also laptop is about 4 to 6 years old i pretty sure it doesnt have a secure boot feature
>>
I'd say you just copied stuff on to the usb and didn't actually make it bootable.
>>
>>51598595
Nope ive tried it multipule time now with lili unetbootin. Should of made them bootable on their own
>>
>>51598638
http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

try it, fo realz
>>
>>51598538
Im running this on windows so dd is not an option.
>>
>>51598490
Well then, it's another way UNetBootin is a load of shit as it left your USB drive with SYSLINUX loader code in its boot block but no SYSLINUX folder on the filesystem. Just clean out all the files it copied there and retry - using http://rufus.akeo.ie/ this time.
>>
>>51598680
Will do may switch to a different distro such as mint just to see if maybe my iso file is bugged.
>>
Hardest os to get reunning ever.
>>
Well,the main problem is that it is ubuntu.Ubuntu is bad.
On topic : It's most likely you didn't make the usb drive correctly, use a tool like unetbootin.
>>
>>51600980
It was made with that....
>>
>>51597674
Do not be insecure about cheap electronic products. They all deprecate overtime and they are only tools providing a means to an end.

Acer, Sony...it's all the same unless you care for quality/function over pure functionality.
>>
>>51597392
Are you coming from Windows? You did not say. If you are, just use this:

Let's say you want to find your USB drive in the terminal. Use this:

ls -l /dev/disk/by-id/*usb*

(this gives you sdb or some other letter replacing the b in my example. Ignore numerals. they are not needed)

Now, move to the directory with the iso:

cd Downloads

Once in that directory, use:

sudo (su or sudo su, whichever in your case) dd if=YourIso.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M; sync

Finally, you wait for the command above to complete.

Note, that you do not have to format your USB with this dd command. It does it for you. It's very convenient.
>>
>>51601142
Yeah coming from windows 10 sorry i forgot to mention that.
>>
>>51601290
Meant for
>>51601231
>>
Thanks for all your help anons
I used rufus to write the key and it worked flawless! Now just to run this for a few weeks and see how i like it.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.