[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
pic related is my living room. I have a (shitty) desktop at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9
File: lr.png (19 KB, 2340x1456) Image search: [Google]
lr.png
19 KB, 2340x1456
pic related is my living room.

I have a (shitty) desktop at my desk and I would like to keep it there for work/vidya

my desktop is also my torrent/netflix/youtube machine, and I would like to be able to watch stuff on my tv thats on the other side of my room.

I would rather not run a long hdmi cable through the middle of my living room floor. whats my best option for switching the display to the tv for watching things?

This was highly recommended on a blog, but wanted to hear other opinions before I dropped $200 http://amzn.com/B00630WKGI
>>
Isn't that what Chromecast is for?
>>
>>51595156
I think chromecast would be a cheaper alternative for netflix/youtube, but if I torrent a movie, such as an mkv file, I don't think I can stream it.... I may be mistaken. would love to be proven wrong
>>
File: desktop2.jpg (542 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
desktop2.jpg
542 KB, 2448x3264
bumping with pics of aforementioned shitty desktop

here she is in her natural state
>>
At my house we got a long HDMI cable for this purpose. We put it through the walls though so it looks nice.
>>
File: desktop1.jpg (666 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
desktop1.jpg
666 KB, 2448x3264
inside you can see my $20 goodwill 750 GB HD that is just resting on that metal shelf thing
>>
>>51595221
that would be badass... I would love to run things through my walls, like the hdmi and also an additional ethernet cable. I might look into that, but I would have to learn a lot if I did it myself
>>
File: Desktop3.jpg (483 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
Desktop3.jpg
483 KB, 2448x3264
>peripherals

this is my 2TB external HD that has all my movies and TV shows. about 80% full now
>>
Anon you can open the mkv file in Chrome and push the chrome tab to your chrome cast.
>>
Run a long cable along the edge of the wall right the way around to the back of the TV. Get a flat one and clip it to the wall if you're autistic.
Anything else is wrong.
>>
File: Desktop4.jpg (406 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
Desktop4.jpg
406 KB, 2448x3264
I started playing csgo about a month ago, and felt like I was missing out by not having a mic, so I used prime now and got the cheapest headset they had delivered to my door in about an hour at 11PM...

>the future
>>
>>51595290
did another google search and it seems doable but hacky. especially since mkv has funky "codecs" and shit. all the recommended methods are clearly workarounds
>>
File: Desktop5.jpg (524 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Desktop5.jpg
524 KB, 3264x2448
last post
>more peripherals

cheapest keyboard and mouse I could find. the keyboard actually has one of those purple connectors that goes in to the back of the PC instead of a usb. so I have to plug it in before I turn on my machine or else it wont work :)
>>
just found a "chromecast alternatives" blog post and found a plug for PiCast... has anybody used that? I have a Pi and wouldn't mind configuring it, but I don't want to constantly configure and update package repos and other linux shit.
>>
>>51595214
>>51595225
The poor thing :((((
>>
>>51595575
looks like development is dead; not a good sign

https://github.com/lanceseidman/picast
>>
>>51595145
Wireless is pointless for media.YOu might as well watch it in 320p.Its inconsistent for quality and you will be seeing splotches everywhere where it is rendering wirelessly

>middle of room
Do you not know what tacs are? Run it under your carpet or tac it against the wall and make it flush.Taht way its off the side,no tripping,and no ugly cabiling.
Or you know,move your fucking desktop
>>
I would just run an HDMI cable on the floor along the wall
>>
>>51595622
the amazon link in the OP is supposed to be good enough for hd movies and gaming (lol) but it should at least be decent

"tac"s are literally ungooglable

I move my desktop now. back and forth. move it to the tv to watch a movie, move it back to the desk to play games and shit. thats an un-optimal solution. I made this thread asking for alternatives
>>
>>51595708
http://www.lowes.com/Hardware/Specialty-Hardware/Cable-Staples/_/N-1z0wql5/pl#!

3rd choice after it firms named tac
>>
>>51595707
the diagram in the op is not actually a scaled blueprint (believe it or not), but I have a door with no raised "lip" thing on the right, and the left actually goes another 10 ft into the kitchen. so neither sides are ideal to run an hdmi cable through
>>
>>51595760
go under the carpet on the door
you can also buy channels/canals that you can put on the door portion to make it flat and less trippable
>you're must making excuses cause you want to be super tech wireless
>>
>>51595760
Buy a rug friendo. Rugsusa has a sale going on right now.
>>
>>51595757
idk m8, looks like they are called cable staples to me
>>
>>51595873
tacs.staples.same shit
you must be new to tech
its been tacs for ever.
>>
>>51595873
k
>>
Can you simply move the desk next to the tv ? That way you can even play your games from the couch if you wish.
>>
>>51595145
setup plex, run ethernet cable, get roku or install plex app on your smart tv
>>
>>51596315
So people that know that the fuck they are talking about within a certain field is grossly different then the normies
Case in point.
>>
just run a fucking cable, your place is already probably ghetto enough that it wont make a difference
>>
>>51595493
>>51595299
>>51595266
>>51595225
>>51595214
this:>>51595598

run your cable under a rug
move the desktop permanently to the other side of the room
set up a remote desktop??
>>
>>51595156
chromecast can only stream things that utilize chrome
>>
>>51595145
you can just route an hdmi cable around the edge of the room
>>
>>51598580
>http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MQOMZG/
>>
>>51595178
plex.tv
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.