[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Daw General: Cartoon Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
File: FL studio.jpg (45 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
FL studio.jpg
45 KB, 250x250
What is a DAW?
Digital
Audio
Workstation

>What DAW is yours?

>How long you been on it?

>How long have you been into music?

>What genre do you play with the most?

>What Genre do you think you are best at?

>Have you thought about changing up to something else?

>What's your favorite synth, no matter how dumb it is?

>Do you see yourself doing this way later on even if you get no where?

Bonus points:

>What's the best thing to come out of Hammerspace?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>this is /g/ not /mu/ gtfo

We do not talk about the music as it is but how it's created and what we use and how to help
others get better

1 simple rule I hope you can guys do, please don't be assholes to those who
have a different perspective on another DAW, no matter what it is or how shitty
it is. I know there are some very laughable ones out there but ya know...
So please just be as helpful as you can.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Links and info:
For the sake of work, you are allowed to use a name. Just don't
make yourself look like a dumb ass and make me regret saying
that.

If you need help, you can use Clyp.it if you wish to stay anon.

If this thread is ded you are welcomed to Nexus, A discord
server specifically made for 4chan. If link is bork, please
message the thread:

https://discord.gg/0lS3CoGz1pJKA01O

If you have a good tutorial from youtube, post it, next Gen,
I'l begin a list and make a playlist:

>>>/mu/prod if you're interested more of the production.
>>
What is a digital audio workstation?
>>
>>52910227
FL studio, Ableton, LMMS, and a lot more.
>>
>>52910144
first things first, chek'd
>What DAW is yours?
FL Studio 12
since around when fl 8 was released I guess 2008
probably 1998
various hardcore sub genres
trancecore/freeform with jcore influences
no, besides maybe having more darker/melancholic influences
a saw wave
never give up
>>
>>52910273
So it is a computer?
>>
>>52910568
Not a computer. It's software
>>
File: IMG_20160209_134943_01.png (767 KB, 622x1024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160209_134943_01.png
767 KB, 622x1024
>>52910451
>hardcore electronic music
>>
File: 1357793206126.gif (2 MB, 177x150) Image search: [Google]
1357793206126.gif
2 MB, 177x150
>>52910912
If I listened to people when they said not to like what they don't like I'd be listening to pop country and rap like you.
>>
File: LaQiY.jpg (180 KB, 1294x892) Image search: [Google]
LaQiY.jpg
180 KB, 1294x892
>>52911103
>look at me being contrairian
>>
>>52911524
the only reason to own a fedora is because you are in your 70's, or you actually look good in 1 or you are owning 1 ironically.
>>
File: produced music.png (604 KB, 733x650) Image search: [Google]
produced music.png
604 KB, 733x650
"I'm a producer"
>doesn't know music theory
>>
>>52910144
Checked
>What DAW is yours?
FL Studio 12
Just since last year
Since my whole life
I suck at everything, not really considered a genre :(
See above ^^^
Not till I get decent at this
This is how much of a n00b I am, can't even answer this question.
Yes. I don't give up

PS I really suck, if you couldn't tell, need teaching
>>
>>52911680
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of7LXoom3dk&list=PLGYoE903Nir5I5A8IBNVV0euTUuKcpq7Y

here you go
>>
>>52911869
added to my notepad.
next gen will get it.
>>
>>52911869
I already know the core and how to use the basics of the software, also familiar with music theory, it's just the music all fitting together that I have trouble with
>>
>>52912024
Then you're not familiar with music theory.
>>
>>52912024
try practicing recreating songs you like with what you know
specifically focus on the arrangement, and how things flow into each other
>>
>>52912149
Or how about they admit they don't know music theory.
>>
>>52912068
>>52912189
shut up about music theory jesus christ. it's fucking annoying. Some people get it some people don't. You don't need to goto Duel Academy to know how to play Duel Monsters, if you're a god at it, that's all that matters.
>>
>>52912068
Maybe I didn't explain it right. I understand music theory, how chords and melodies fit, how different things sound good together (to put it simply) I just don't have the capacity to construct those things. Just because someone knows how a pencil sharpener works, doesn't mean they can make one.
>>
Can I get some suggestions for voice recording? Myself and a buddy of mine have decided to start a podcast as a hobby. I know very little about audio recording, but I'm the more technical of us so the duty falls on me anyway to pick out equipment. We're both adults with real jobs, so money isn't much of an issue ($600-$800 was the ballpark for equipment we've already agreed on). I have no idea what to pick out for microphones and a mixer. We only need to microphones, but the mixer should have three inputs so that we have some room to expand for interviews in the future.

Also, any tips for recording and editing spoken voice audio is a plus.
>>
>>52912427
if it's just a podcast, don't waste too much into it. I recommend getting a Wii u Mic. and i know you're thinking something like "that sounds awful" but I use mine all the time for discord and skype and people tell me it sounds nice. for 12 bucks, and when it's right up next to your mouth it sounds even better. all else fails you could always get a blue tooth adapter and a good blue tooth ear piece. Those work nice too.
>>
how do i get a really smooth sounding sub(ish) bass like in this song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvZLsc9vF1M
>>
>>52912427
you're going to need a couple of condenser microphones, cables to plug them into an audio interface which you also need, mic stands, pop filters, and acoustic treatment in the room you're doing the recording in(probably the most important thing and can be easily DIY'd if you want to save some dosh)

then just chose whatever software, audacity probably works and is free
>>
>>52912508
it could be 2 different things.
1. 2 separate bases overlapping each other, I've done this.
2. a bass made with a specific way of releasing itself. that's prolly not as complicated as it sounds. I might be able to figure it out, given time.
>>
>>52912508
a sine wave and pitch modulation

also separate your bass and sub bass so it doesn't have stereo or effects on it, just eq out the sub of the bass and put a sine there that follows it
>>
>>52912558
>>52912558
i can tell its 2 different basses overlapped in some parts. what i mainly want is the deeper one. would this be easy to do in serum (im new to sound design so i have no idea what im doing)
>>
>>52912578
you could try and see what you get. but I would use the bassdrum program that comes with FL first. I made a really heavy bass on it and it is very close to it but it needs more of a release to sound more raygay(?) dub. Just turn up the shit on it and I'm sure it will work out fine. also the release.
>>
whats the best technique to mash 2 songs together? ive tried in the past but its always sounded shitty.
>>
>>52912626
you're looking for the DJ thread
>>
>>52912665
fuck you this is the closest thing to it
>>
>>52912626
>What is the Camelot Wheel
>>
>>52912725
i have no idea.
>>
>>52912733
>What is google
>>
File: duckduckgo.png (13 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
duckduckgo.png
13 KB, 600x400
>>52912771
>>
>>52910144
S H A R E Y O U R M A P P I N G S
>>
>>52910144
>What DAW is yours?
microsoft powerpoint
a week
a week
nightcore
nightcore
vaporwave
particle playground plugin for after effects
yes
>>
>>52912538
See, I'm already aware of what sorts of equipment I need, I was looking more for actual brand/model suggestions.
>>
>>52910144
>What DAW is yours?
Ableton Live

Dunno exactly but since early version 8.0

Tried programming metal drums when I was an edgy metalhead teen, gradually evolved into producing electronic music.

Synthwave

Synthwave

Yes, I'm going to get a Thinkpad soon and will switch to Bitwig Studio because I wanna switch to Linux.

Hardware: Juno Alpha 2
Software: No real favorites here, mostly stuff that sounds like 80s synths.

Yes, it's alot of fun and replaced vidya games for me.
>>
>>52913065
>replaced vidya games for me.
I'm hoping I get to this at some point (I guess I have to play so much that I get sick of em?)
>>
>>52913065
Check out renoise if you're thinking of switching to Linux and don't mind trackers
>>
>>52911103
>I'd be listening to pop country and rap like you.
epic..... o.O \m/
>>
does anyone recognize this Ableton plugin.. i know its a delay, but which one exactly is what i need.

Ive tried playing with the built in grain and simple delays but i just cant reproduce that particular sound.

Any idea, suggestion welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/sidgallup/ableton-delay
>>
>>52913094
Just try not to force yourself into creating something of value. When I'm bored I just produce shitty Eurocore or Trap beats, just try out new stuff and have fun with it. Especially genres you hate.

>>52913123
Used Renoise years ago, trackers are 2autism4me and I don't see much use in them for the music I'm trying to produce but they're great for stuff like breakcore. I'll probably reinstall it anyways once I've switched.
>>
>>52913265
why would you make genres you hate? also
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>trap
>>
>>52913015
price range?

I am sure there is something /g/ recommended sub $80

you need 2 right?
>>
>>52913265
As much as an advocate for Renoise and trackers as I am, I still gotta mention that Bitwig is still an option for the linux side of things (and probably the better option?) Just saying that would be my secondary if not Renoise existed.
>>
File: studio_jaun.png (158 KB, 1920x1044) Image search: [Google]
studio_jaun.png
158 KB, 1920x1044
>>52910144
>>What DAW is yours?

studio one - 3
>>How long you been on it?
4 years

>>What genre do you play with the most?
House/Dance

>>Have you thought about changing up to something else?
nah
>>What's your favorite synth, no matter how dumb it is?
been using a sampler a lot recently
>>Do you see yourself doing this way later on even if you get no where?
yes and yes
>>
>What DAW is yours?
Ableton Live
I've used it on and off alongside Logic for a while but it's only in the past few months that I've made it my main platform. I've been making stuff for about 3 years now, started with Logic
About 4 or 5 years ago I would say is when I developed a deep interest in music, I'm 20 now
Various forms of glitch, from ambient to noise influenced, lately being influenced by electroacoustic stuff
See above
Not really, I may move towards a more generative approach once I get a better handle of Max/MSP. Also looking into other languages like Supercollider lately
Absynth or Reaktor
Yeah
>>
>>52913295
Because you can always learn stuff by trying out things you normally wouldn't do. Just do it in a ironic way to amuse yourself, you won't feel the same pressure you normally would when producing something that has to fit exactly your own taste.
>>
>>52910144
FL Studio

3-4 years

My whole life. But you obviously mean producing and playing music, so see above.
Electronic music (i know, I know, nondescript as fuck) all you have to know is that it's sometimes good, and it's sometimes bad, but it's always cheesy

see above

no not really

probably, but i'll pick up new habits / techniques, and I'll mold my workflow with those like i always have

don't pick any favorites, my synths are like my children... they're like my ADOPTED children

I do see myself doing what i'm doing now later on, especially if i get no where
>>
>>52912508
That's just a sine wave compressed and saturated to fuck. Are you on FL Studio? Just make a sine wave with whatever synth you prefer, add a Waveshaper to it, fuck around with it until you're happy with it and put a lowpass in the 300-500Hz range.
>>
>>52912508
>>52914553
Also thanks for the nostalgia trip I used to listen to that tune when I started getting into dub like 5 years ago.
>>
>>52913182
That's called microdelay. Take a Simple Delay, link the stereo channels together (Link button at top right), press the "Sync" button so it changes to "Time" and set the time to somewhere between 10-30ms, see where you like the effect the most.
>>
>What DAW is yours?
FL Studio 11
Since late 2010
whole life
Trap/Neo-Soul/"""Future Bass""" fucking hate that term for the genre
unfortunately, Future Bass. it's piss easy to make and make well.
I'm always onto the next thing. first it was dubstep, then it was more trap influenced, trap turned to future bass, now I'm trying to incorporate more acoustic elements and jazz theory
famisynth II
I quit music every couple months, so who knows. I have these big, grandiose projects and ideas and concepts that get halfway finished and fizzle out.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.