[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
black macbook - goofy OS?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_0335.jpg (172 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0335.jpg
172 KB, 1000x667
I have a black macbook (2ghz core 2 duo, 6gb ram, 120gb SSD)

it can't run OS X 10.11 "el capitan" because of planned obsolescence.

what's the goofiest / least retarded OS I can run on it that'll let me use it to surf the web? (ie a nice UI, good driver support)

all the Darwin BSDs I can find haven't been touched since 2012...
>>
Wangblows 10
>>
>>51589689
>blackbook doesn't run 10.11
>planned obsolescence
in the sense that an operating system won't run on a machine that's more than 7 years old, sure, it's planned obsolescence.

but if you see conspiracy there, then you must see it absolutely everywhere in tech.

don't be a fucking faggot, OP.
>>
ChromeOS
>>
snow leopard is fine
>>
10.6.8 was the last good version of OSX
>>
>>51589689
>>51589689
Why the fuck do you need a new OS?
Software that needs a newer version won't run on your C2D at all. Do you need security upgrades? Just fucking install a newer version of Coreutils, bash and sshd. Need a new browser? Get one, you are free to choose. FFS you have a unix machine, you can replace individiual parts.

Don't know what I am talking about? Then you don't need a new OS!
>>
File: rhapsodydr2.png (77 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
rhapsodydr2.png
77 KB, 1024x768
jesus, what a bunch of whiny bitches

I was asking if there's a good BSD that is darwin-based out there

as for planned obsolescence, apple purposely did things like requiring a 64bit EFI even though the CPU is 64bit. you can get around that, but then there are things like purposely blocking older USB chipsets even though they also function perfectly fine if you manually include the drivers. they quit updating the intel drivers found on this macbook even though they're almost identical to the ones in the newer machines (or they could have just included the old drivers...)

apple is a hardware company. if people could use 5-10 year old hardware without any problems they'd go broke. it's not a fucking conspiracy, it's business.

I can install ubuntu or gentoo or whatever the fuck is most popular right now, I was just figuring I'd have some fun and get some funny answers.
>>
>>51589689
Debian+XFCE
>>
>>51589714

Considering that it's fully possible to run a modern operating system on this device given the specifications listed, I would argue that you sir, are the faggot.

If you're not convinced of your own faggotry, let's review the specs of the Microshit surface pro 3 - currently on sale for $800.

>integrated graphics
>1.9 Ghz DUAL CORE processor
>2 Gigs LESS of ram
>same amount of storage space

As for your laptop OP, install gentoo.
>>
>>51589879
Operating systems are not identical in design or requirement. if you were anything other than a video game-playing child, this would have been immediately apparent to you.
>>
>>51589879
>integrated graphics
The HD5000 can easily compare to low-end dedicated graphics.

>1.9 GHz
>implying gigahertz are comparable between years
>implying CPU architectures never evolve
Try benchmarks.

>2 gigs LESS of RAM
I bet the black MacBook did not come with this much out of the box. It was upgraded.

Except one of them is an SSD and the other is not!

I rate your bait poor, but you forced me to reply so I guess I'm going to give you a six out of ten.
>>
>>51589860
this. Debian (and debian based distros) run very well on that era of macbooks
>>
>>51589689
Windows 7.

No, I'm not joking.
>>
>>51589976
That's BSOD based, not BSD
>>
>>51589714
Considering Windows 10 runs absolutely fine on the 2006 Black MacBook, it is definitely planned obsolescence on Apple's part.
Despite all the bitching, android fans are the ones fucked the hardest by planned obsolescence.
>>
>>51589689
Bull shit it wont run. You are just to stupid to install it
>>
>>51589900
Microsoft is literally selling this as "the tablet that can replace your laptop". Design is irrelevant comparing between apple and Microsoft, but the purpose is sold as identical.

>>51589939
Building on my last point, I don't think the surface will be around 7 years from now considering

>processor and graphics are just as shit
>ram is soldered to mobo
>they both have ssds.

I guess you're actually the master baiter here.
>>
>>51590108
Shit anon my gfs older sister has the same exact iMac but with 1gb ram. Teach me how to install el clapistan sempai
I already know i will have to get 4gb of ram
>>
>>51590150
Didn't do anything special, just did the free upgrades, then decided to do a fresh install and just created a bootable USB from the .dmg you get from the app store.
>>
>>51590108

blackbook != imac

I have it successfully INSTALLED but I can't use it because apple gimps it by not allowing older USB and display drivers. no keyboard or trackpad, can't plug one in.

people have tried to get it to work but so far (like me) only successful on old mac pros

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/os-x-el-capitan-on-unsupported-macs.1889851/
>>
GNU/Linux.
>>
>>51589714
lets not forget that apple also do this with their idevices. my old iphone died a year into my contract and my ipad ran fine before updating to ios whatever its on now. now it cant really do anything other than music.
>>
>>51589689
>planned obsolescence

32bit EFI was the standard when 32bit OSs were the standard. You'd be able to install 10.11 if the EFI was 64bit ---

No you wouldn't because the graphics card isn't capable of supporting OpenCL required for Quartz. So... In much the same way many people had to update their video cards to install Vista and 7.

Thank you for the daily dose of general ignorance, anon!
>>
>>51589997
underrated post
>>
>>51590108
>black dock background

You have broken graphics APIs because your card isn't supported and the laggy interface S.U.C.K.S.
>>
>>51589714
Both Windows and of course free OSes like GNU/Linux run perfectly fine (with modern browsers, more up-to-date OpenGL implementations, etc) on 7 year old computers. If you want to be an Apple shill unable of critical thinking, there's a better place for you: reddit /r/apple.
>>
File: ur a faget.jpg (26 KB, 202x184) Image search: [Google]
ur a faget.jpg
26 KB, 202x184
>>51589689
chrome os
>>
>>51590378
it's a setting
>>
>>51589689
Ubuntu.
>>
>>51589879
>integrated graphics
so? the higher end intels are pretty good. there is a good reason why there are no low-end dGPU anymore. the macbook on the other hand has a iGPU from the age when they were maximum trash.

>1.9 Ghz DUAL CORE processor
by your logic a pentium 4 with 3,7GHz is faster than a i7 6400 or something (in single thread benchmarks) as the clockrate is lower. IPC seems to not be a thing eh?

>2 Gigs LESS of ram
likely upgraded. but yeah the soldered ram in the surface is shit...

but many times faster. also basic model.
>>
>>51589689
blackbook is bestbook
>>
>>51590378
>what is the dark theme
"bloat" retard demonstrates his lack of actual knowledge when assessing a different OS, complete with misuses of FUNNY BAZINGA NERD jargon, in order to look reputable.
>>
Arch would probably work well.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.