[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ask a drunk cs degree-holder anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: avatar_758_1346464675.gif (865 KB, 255x150) Image search: [Google]
865 KB, 255x150
specifically want to talk about AI. and what you think is the possible endgame for AI.
>>
File: waywt.png (284 KB, 610x260) Image search: [Google]
waywt.png
284 KB, 610x260
>>51586428
everyone wants to mentally masturbate to the thought of an 'infinitely intelligent' AI. i don't think this is possible, or i am at least highly sceptical. let me present my reasons for this below
>>
>>51586428
as a crappy analogy, think about the concept of 'addition'.

if we think about a theoretically 'infinitely intelligent' AI, said AI would be no better at humans than addition, or even any better than an abacus. it may be faster, and be able to process larger numbers, but for the given problem domain, there is no 'better' answer available.
>>
>>51586428

employed?

I like ai, however, I can't seem to make it function on its own. Where did I go wrong?
>>
>>51586428
i think our brains are simply 'general computers', in that they have an ability (or algorithm) that is applicable to basically all problem domains. that isn't to say that they are optimal at any one task, but that they are optimally suited to providing 'good enough' answers to any problem that can be understood.
>>
>>51586586
not currently.

you'll have to be more specific in your question. there isn't any AI system that would be considered 'conscious', or even a 'general' AI (AGI), that i am aware of. everything is still programmed fairly explicitly in terms of what the goal is, and the (general) algorithm(s) to solve it
>>
>>51586428
i am also fairly skeptical about this whole 'omg what if ai becomes so smart that it enslaves us / nukes us / makes us obselete' meme.

i think the main concern would be the use of genetic algorithms, in which the 'organism' (AI code / algorithm in this case) is generated based on a system which solely rewards survival and reproduction. if we were to just task a supercomputer with coming up with an AI using genetic algorithms and accepted the result as a 'black box', then i could see it becoming a problem, because we may not know exactly how it works.
>>
>>51586428
>waifubots
>postscarcity
>technotyranny
>unemployment
>>
Can you write a leave on out cross validation code for my I hw?
>>
>>51586747
wtf does that even mean?
>>
>>51586811
I need some code to distinguish different bugs for my AI hw plz help
>>
Things seem to be heading in the direction of AI and cognitive learning.. Still dynamically defining that learning curve. Data set relevance will get much better as we continue to be ubiquitously connected.
>>
>>51586846
post the code (to pastebin)
>>
>>51586428

Who is this trouser arouser?
>>
>>51586924
thanks for the 'insight' mr. PHB
>>
>>51586933
lmao I wish I had code the specs are
Given txt file with 2000 instances (col) with 250 features each (row) 251 rows total first row is the type of bug
Write code to distinguish the three different types of bugs 1, 2, 3, and extra
>>
>>51586968
jenn kaelin
>>
>>51586976
what language?
why did you choose cs as a major?
>>
>>51587078
you can use any language you want
because monies
>>
File: PHB.jpg (84 KB, 580x774) Image search: [Google]
PHB.jpg
84 KB, 580x774
<PHB>
>>
>>51586428
Hey brother, fellow cs major here. Fucking senioritis is rough man, I just want to graduate and enjoy my new job.
>>
>>51587681
I miss having all the time in the world to dick around with experimental projects.

Shame I had such bad depression (and eventually mental illness which led to dropping out of grad school) in college, loved research so much.
>>
>>51587827
I swear everyone in CS is fucking depress. Just do drugs senpai
>>
I thought most AI developers were involved with games, not trying to make movie doomsday machine that is the answer to "everything".
>>
>>51586428
who is this
>>
> he thinks he is very special and the only person who studied CS in this board
>>
>>51587850
kissless virgins
>>
End-game? I reckon we won't have one. We'll probably end up with autonomous mechnical things (like robo-train driver). Following that example I also think we'll see loss of productivity as public transport becomes wider-spread in use and automation, and subsequently inflexible as rigidity is naturally sought by learning programming. I reckon most development in future will follow that path and will probably be long-term net positive:

development > deployment > friction > innovation ...

But AI skynet doomsday? Nah. A robot we make without legs, will not grow legs and kick you.
>>
I don't drink and people don't drink where I live so I have a question. So if one is drunk does one know that one is drunk? Do you remember the shit you do when you are drunk?
>>
>>51589977
And what about the robots we make with legs for wars and the people who control them? Do you think it's impossible that a guy in the future will want to use new technology to kill people he doesnt like?
>>
>>51586428
>tfw not a girl
>tfw no gf
>tfw no job
>tfw just degree
>>
>>51590049
I'm talking within the context of my example to highlight it'll be human choices that cause change, not true AI.
>>
im half into my cs degree and already got a programming job and get paid godly for a student, step up op. My dick is pretty big and im 6'3'', but im socially retarded, have weird face and im kv. :(
>>
>>51586428
From my standpoint as CS graduate and active developer. I think "SciFi" AI is impossible. There's the problem of general intelligence vs. specific intelligence. So I can go on and on about it but putting it in simple terms. People tend to over-exaggerate. Most articles I've read about "super duper AI" is wrote by people who have no sufficient background in computer science or software engineering to even begin conversation about the topic.
But let's assume theoretically that it's possible to create general intelligence AI.
Would it be dangerous?
Yes. Because everything that can feel and think is dangerous. Look at humans. We adapt, we evolve and we fight of our survival.
Imagine super intelligent Hitler that can control all your electronics and can't be killed, because he doesn't have physical form etc. etc.
>>
>>51591170
I worked after my first year for what was the best money I've ever saw.
CS is great if you're good. Being socially retarded is an advantage in this field.
>>
>>51590001
OP here. i was also on some other drugs but it's tomorrow and i remember this thread. that doesn't always happen, if you drink too much you will 'black out' (have retrograde amnesia, e.g. gaps in your memory of a previous event).

yes you know you are drunk, alcohol is a pretty in-your-face drug.
>>
>>51590598
OP here, in exact same boat (although i don't secretly wish i were a girl, unlike you apparently).

it is tempting to feel shitty about things and feel like you're worthless, and that the degree and time spent at college was a waste, since you aren't employed. but the truth is that your diploma does have some value, even today when the value of a college degree has fallen quite a bit.

who cares about grills? that is at the top of the hierarchy of needs, meaning it comes last. first you get the money, then you get the power... THEN you worry about chicks.

if you are really that horny, jerk off. if you are really that fucking lonely, spend time with your mom / grandma / aunts, or if you are super desperate, befriend some fat chick and tell her that you're gay, but still in the closet and make her swear not to tell anyone. then just beat it a few times before you see her, the combo of that and her being fat will mean you won't see her sexually and won't throw off vibes that make her uncomfortable and suspect that you're straight.
>>
>>51586428
how far off are we from simulating the neural network of some some small animal/insect?
>>
>>51591293
A computer cannot feel, it is a machine and machines are exacting devices. Feelings are fuzzy.

Computer systems can be programmed to be "aware" of fuzzy topics like speech recognition and audio/visual processing (for example); but without the squishy bits with all chemicals and hormones and biological factors feelings are a non-factor.

Even if an AI could be developed that has the appearance of "sentience" and "emotional behavior" is would be nothing more than an imitation of emotive behavior like a puppet.

Given sufficient development, research and resources I'd say it'd be possible to create an A.I. that is within the popular definition SANS the self-awareness and emotional processing.
>>
>>51591170
here is the easy way to get out of that predicament (although it will take a few years):

find a club that has a several-year churn / refresh cycle. easy to do in college, practically all clubs are like this in that new members usually join as freshmen / sophomores and stay until they graduate, then leave the club.

the actual club doesn't matter. can be sports, or debate, or d&d for fuck's sake. choose something commensurate with your autism level. although i would suggest overestimating a bit; if you are truly assburgers level, picking d&d club will be easier to get into, but there will be a very small population of females and they will overwhelmingly be unattractive and/or crazy.

you start at the bottom in the club and as each year progresses, the oldfags at the top leave, and seniority tends to naturally determine your social rank within the club (assuming you don't fuck up too hard and get ostracised by everyone before you get to a senior position).

this gives you two advantages: women are attracted to social status. social status is relative. even though you might be an autist in your typical bar, if you are in a high-ranking position in said club, you'll be considered high status (because relatively speaking, you are in that situation).

second, there is an effect (not sure what the name is) that basically says that the more time people spend around each other, the more attractive they become to each other (or the lower their standards drop towards said people, if you want to be a pessimist).

that will make it easy as fuck to at least get some female attention when you are in your last year of being in that group. only concern you have to worry about is having a super-high-status male in the group, in which case females will tend to orbit him even if they have no chance with him, and tend to ignore you more.
>>
File: impossible.gif (2 MB, 400x167) Image search: [Google]
impossible.gif
2 MB, 400x167
>>51586428
>AI
>>
>>51593616
i can't disagree with this more.

what is it about the brain, or electro-chemical computers, that cannot be emulated in software by silicon-based ones? unless you believe in there being some sort of supernatural component ('soul') that can perform at a supra-physical level, then all the calculations that occur in our brain are merely the results of physics, which can be modeled mathematically.

i don't think that a sentient AI program needs to have 'feelings', but i don't doubt that it would be possible to program such things into an AI once we get to the general intelligence stage.
>>
>>51593866

emulation takes significantly more power than actually being the thing.

emotions and the like come from this emergent property of identity from the way our neurons interact with each other. I don't think we'll ever be able to emulate synaptic communication on a large enough scale to emulate emotions.
>>
I've worked with AI and machine learning heavily for the past few years.
Give me a definition of what you want this "AI" to look like a do.
Is it purely software, or is it physical? If software, is it a finite process? What does it do?
If physical, what does it look like?
>>
>>51593911
I think I am talking in the name of everybody here when saying that we are mostly interested in will "it" be fuckable and will "it" feel it?
>>
>>51593942
A flashlight fits that criteria. Problem solved. Everybody can go home now.
>>
>>51586428
Off question. Do you feel bad about not doing a degree in engineering? Also, how do you feel about the fact that you don't know shit about AI?
We don't have AIs, we have certain more or less somewhat general methods applicable in some circumstances to build dynamic systems, where some parameters auto adjust. What we have for AI today is a fucking joke.
>>
>>51593511
you smell of curry
>>
>>51593616
A human cannot feel, it is a pile of meat and neurons, and a pile of neurons can never be sentient.

You might have the appearance of sentience, like a human saying it can think, but so can a parrot or tape recorder.

You might have the appearance of emotional behavior, like crying under certain conditions, but a children's doll can do the same.

Humans can never be anything more than fleshy puppets.
>>
>>51593511
>who cares about grills? that is at the top of the hierarchy of needs
>top of the hierarchy
Nope.
>even today when the value of a college degree has fallen quite a bit.
Nope. Maybe don't go into a math field if you can't git gud or a field where all the retards are and most jobs are such that even a high school student can do (if you can't git gud).
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.