[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gonna switch to Linux. Mint or Ubuntu?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_nxyzdrA03m1ue9j4wo1_400.gif (1 MB, 380x213) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxyzdrA03m1ue9j4wo1_400.gif
1 MB, 380x213
Gonna switch to Linux. Mint or Ubuntu?
>>
Xubuntu and Mint and good starter distros. Stay away from vanilla Ubuntu.
>>
Neither, Ubuntu is a botnet and Mint is a winclone. Just get Puppy and be happy.
>>
>>51586287
Why is Ubuntu botnet and why is Puppy the right choice?
>>
>>51586314
Latest Ubuntu comes with an amazon tracker integrated into the dash. Also Unity is ugly as fuck. Puppy is very beginner friendly and is fast as fuck because it runs in ram without accessing the hard disk unless you want to do a full install.
>>
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=194
>>
>>51586369
Is this kind of OS really what I want? I was planning to format whole disk and install the OS inside. Not sure why this ram-based OS is what I should go for. If Ubuntu is botnet what about Xubuntu? Let's do it?
>>
>>51586387
Xubuntu doesn't come with codecs ootb. Go Mint XFCE.
>>
OpenSUSE is a good starter distro. Once you get a strong understanding of Linux and have absolutely no life, I'd move to arch.
>>
>>51586369
>Amazon Tracker
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>51586449
The value of this software is negative in the security dimension. Why would I want to send my local search queries to Canonical? This shiet should be opt in.
>>
Lets go with mint then
>>
I'd suggest going with one of the official non-Unity spinoffs of Ubuntu. I haven't looked at debian based distros in a while (Fedora user here. Less a matter of preference and more a matter of parity with the comp sci labs where I'm at), but for beginners Ubuntu based systems are the easiest to find help online.
>>
>>51586245
They are both good. Ubuntu with Unity and Mint with Cinnamon will feel like a modern distro but XFCE and MATE are good too, they are a little lighter. The Amazon thing can be removed from Ubuntu pretty easily if you don't want it, so don't hold that as a real reason. Go with what you think would be the nicest one for your taste.
>>
>>51586245
Who's the guy in the suit?
>>
>>51586245
Ubuntu. Is there even a point in mint when cinnamon can be installed from regular ubuntu repos?
>>
>>51586884
steven seagal
>>
>>51586884
Vincent Vega, his sidekick is a bad muthafucka.
>>
>>51586884
michael corleone
>>
>>51586245
Mint with Cinnamon.
Cinnamon is increasingly a well-polished heir to the traditional Windows-esque desktop experience (i.e. start button and taskbar). If you're tired of people "innovating" on your computer's UI, you'll find Cinnamon refreshingly usable.
>>51586886
Mint basically saves you time. No need to uninstall Unity and install Cinnamon, no need to hunt down proprietary graphics drivers, multimedia codecs, and so forth. Mint comes with everything working by default.
>>
>>51586245
Mint
Fuck Ubuntu, Mint is awesome
>>
Just fucking install Fedora you cunt.
Fuck you.
>>
>>51586245
Debian.
>>
>>51586245
Install arch with cinnamon, and your problem is solved.
>>
>>51586245
>Ubuntu or a terrorist fork of Ubuntu
you choose, OP. And remove the thread.
>>
>>51586245
Fedora. Its based on Red Hat, which is the real enterprise linux. Learn it and learn something you can use on your resume.
>>
File: 05.jpg (339 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
05.jpg
339 KB, 1200x1600
>>51586245
Ubuntu just work. don't listen to em plebs here talking bullshit botnet shit. Just remove amazon and you are good to go.
>>
>>51586245
get debian if you already want something based on it since both ubuntu and mint are debian system, learn basics, swich to arch, win
>>
Just get Debian. It's the most stable shit on the planet, and if you're learning Linux you want to make sure you're choosing the shit that's guaranteed to last
>>
File: G_OS_Guide.jpg (375 KB, 3000x2116) Image search: [Google]
G_OS_Guide.jpg
375 KB, 3000x2116
>>
Try them both in VM and make your own mind.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.