[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Using your TV as a monitor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: 1748667-13991_dscn3617.jpg (1 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
1748667-13991_dscn3617.jpg
1 MB, 3072x2304
Does anyone do this?

I just ordered a 24 inch 1080p HDTV and am thinking of multitasking it. My current monitor is only 17 inches. It'd be cool to hear about some of you who might be doing this and how it has gone for you.
>>
>>51583624
Works fine. I don't even understand why you would think it wouldn't.
>>
I hope you like massively increased input lag.
>>
>>51583682
Oh no, those few extra milliseconds are going to really screw with everyday computing tasks.
>>
>>51583624
>Does anyone do this
no
>>
>>51583722
Except that when it comes to TVs, it's not longer just a few extra milliseconds. Thanks to the post processing that most TVs do, input lag can get closer to half a second.

Sure lots of TVs have a "game mode" that disables some of it, but even that won't bring it anywhere close to an actual PC monitor in most cases.
>>
I have my computer hooked up to a 48" samsung for anime.
>>
>>51583682
Not everyone plays games.
>>
>>51583782
Did OP say they were gaming?
>>
>>51583624
24" for a tv is pretty small. That's basically a monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-S2415H-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00M9B3XZW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8
>>
>>51583624
I don't really understand the point of TV vs Monitor these days. I a TV is just a monitor with a digital tuner yet who the fuck watches broadcast TV?
>>
I play GTA V on an htpc hooked to an old af 37" Sanyo, 75hz refresh.
>>
>>51583812
>implying that was in any way related to muh gaymes
That kind of delay would piss anyone off in everyday tasks.
>>
>>51584002
we get it, Sanic

>gotta go faster
>>
>>51584002
No, it wouldn't
>>
>>51583960

Yes they are both display but serve two very different use cases.

"TVs" are large format, standard 1080p or 4k, with lots of inputs, often built in speakers and/or an audio out, and remote control receiver.

Monitors are higher resolution, smaller, but with more barebones features because you're just going to plug it into a computer. They usually don't have built in speakers or a remote control, but might also have usb plugs and only 2-3 inputs like DVI/Display port instead of just HDMI but they rarely have analog inputs these days.

Using a TV as a monitor is fine, its just usually more expensive to buy a 24'' TV than 24'' 1080p monitor, and you can get higher resolutions monitors for the same price.
>>
>>51584024
cheers senpai
>>
>>51583782
>>51584002

Are you retarded? Do you not realize most people play consoles on a TV? They can game fine. The response time will be no different than non-single input monitors that often do the same processing.
>>
I've used a TV for several years and felt the need to get a monitor this year because of eye strain.

Had three so TVs so far, and every time I've hooked one up to my computer it takes a tonne of calibration to get it to look right, if it will at all.
>>
>buy 240 htz tv
>use as monitor
>check htz settings
>240 isn't an option
Fuck tv monitors.
>>
>>51583624
Why would you buy a 24" tv in the first place? It has higher response timer than even the shittiest monitors.
>>
>>51584334
Had the same problem with my Sharp.

It wasn't even one of those brand specific designations, it straight up said 120hz in the specs, it was actually just a 60hz with a motion interpolation setting.
>>
>>51584334

That's because the TV doesn't accept 240hz signal, it just lists 240hz because of its interpolation features. Its like how plasma TV list there refresh rate as 600hz.
>>
I watch my chinese cartoons on my 65" but fuck doing anything else on it besides that. Reading text on an hdtv is enough to give you eye cancer.
Even when you increase the font size it still looks pixelated to shit.
>>
I use a 24" television for my second monitor. It mostly gets used for reading and watching movies or shows. Works perfectly fine
>>
File: 1441523915787.gif (2 MB, 300x228) Image search: [Google]
1441523915787.gif
2 MB, 300x228
>>51583624
you should shame yourself for even thinking about using a tv
>>
>>51585754
this
go get a job op
>>
File: YW4fWgQ[1].jpg (200 KB, 1365x768) Image search: [Google]
YW4fWgQ[1].jpg
200 KB, 1365x768
>>51583624
I have a 40" Bravia W600B, picked it up last year during black Friday. Very low latency, I don't notice it at all while using the mouse.

I do most of my work on my MacBook Pro's screen, as I prefer crisp text, but the large screen is excellent for general shitposting or just chilling.

If you are on a small desk it wont be very useful though. I have a huge ikea desk that's over 3 feet deep, so putting it towards the edge allows it to enter your field of vision entirely. I also have one of those tilt locking ergo chairs and a small ottoman underneath to rest my feet. Great for sitting back and watching anime or playing a bit on my PS4

Here is a pic of the TV I use, though it's not my setup.
>>
>>51583782
you know 40ms is still substantially less than a second right?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.