[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need to connect old laptop to a router (to get normal internet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: l.php.jpg (29 KB, 600x289) Image search: [Google]
l.php.jpg
29 KB, 600x289
I need to connect old laptop to a router (to get normal internet connection). It has no RJ45, but I found something like that(photo). Would it work, and why not? I couldn't find any info on such connection.
>>
>>51583160
If you believe that something like this would work you shouldn't be here
>>
>>>/g/sqt
Also USB Wi-Fi dongles are under $5
>>
>>51583160
That's a fucking serial cable, you dumbass. Not a network cable. I mean, SLIP does exist, but you're not getting internet over that cable. (I don't understand a thing about SLIP though.)
>>
>>51583192
Why not? Is there any way to get internet connection through that port?
>>
>>51583237
It's REALLY old laptop. No USB included.
>>
>>51583253
With SLIP, perhaps, but you'll need a device which supports SLIP. We're talking doing a ton of setup and owning an old-ass modem, though.
>>
>>51583253
no you vga port is output only
>>
>>51583286
That isn't a VGA port - it's a serial port.
>>
>>51583286
It's not VGA. It's RS232.
>>51583285
There aren't any devices that would convert signal?
Also it has old phone-line port, but I assumed that RS232 would have bigger chance to work.
>>
>>51583321
Using SLIP over an old modem or other device which supports it would work, but you'd have to find and set up an old device or find one.
>>
>>51583160
you'll have to buy a really old pcmcia nic
>>
>>51583321
>RS232
Do you have any early idea how slow this is? Does your old laptop not have a PCMCIA slot or something? You might even find a slightly newer laptop with ehternet for the price of a PCMCIA Ethernet adapter.
>>
>>51583349
And this man won a beer from me.
I didn't realize such a device existed.
Thanks a lot, I'll just do that.
>>
>>51583269

>It's REALLY old laptop. No USB included.

Put that shit in the trash and go find something to do.
>>
>>51583160
Its a console cable serial I/0 to console port for hardware CLI terminal work not Ethernet NO will not work
>>
>>51583160
null modem is the only way or

https://www.perle.com/products/rs232-to-ethernet.shtml

>never trust a .shtml tho
>>
>>51583495
lel, this.
>>
>>51583374
That's definitely the right call, but make absolutely certain you get one that's supported by your operating system of choice. I've been through this before, and there are a number of exciting ways to screw up and waste money

If you wanted to try networking over RS-232, you could try one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/231444408764
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.