[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What Linux distro will ever be able to compete with Windows and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: 144928102938.png (157 KB, 497x343) Image search: [Google]
144928102938.png
157 KB, 497x343
What Linux distro will ever be able to compete with Windows and OS X?

I'm not talking about your autistic little custom Arch Linux setup with i3, I'm talking about an out-of-the-box distro with no botnet that just werks. That has lots of multimedia support and cutting-edge software
>>
Ubuntu
>>
>>51582310
>No botnet

W r o n g
>>
>with no botnet
>lots of multimedia support

You won't get a botnet-free distro that plays mp3's. It's a proprietary format.

Anyhow, the distro that'll compete with Windows and OSX is the one that a manufacturer will start selling at a cheap. Kinda like back in 2010 with the Ubuntu netbooks.

That is the only way. Noone should be expected to install their own OS.
>>
>>51582350
You can still play mp3s with free software.
>>
File: kevin.jpg (45 KB, 475x357) Image search: [Google]
kevin.jpg
45 KB, 475x357
>>51582325
>botnet
fuck off
there's a firewall BUILT INTO UBUNTU that can deny ALL incoming AND outgoing connections if you so please. kill yourself faggot
>>
>>51582363
yes, but not without proprietary plugins
>>
>no botnet
>it's okay to have botnets on windows and os x though
b8
>>
>>51582387
i'm using parabola and i can play mp3s with audio players from the official repos (which, obviously, are 100% free)
>>
I use trisquel. No problems here.
>>
>>51582406
that's odd. I remember having to cross a box saying "install proprietary multimedia support to be able to play mp3's" or something like that when installing Fedora.
>>
>>51582445
There are drm free versions of mp3s. Or something like that.
>>
>>51582382
>thinks blocking at layer 4 will save him from the botnet

We call your type casuals, or generally ignorant retards.
>>
>>51582603
I really love you /g/uys but I hate this botnet meme
>>
>>51582644
I'll meme ur mom
>>
>>51582310
/thread
>>
>>51582675
>>
Why not chongpin?

>deepin
>has desktop themes to look like Mac and PC
>has a unique music app for mp3s and online streaming
>cups for printer setup
>appstore for games, programs, etc...

Only thing is that it's made by the chinks so I don't know if it has botnets or not (most likely has them though). I have only read about it on the surface but this looks kind of like elementary OS only good.
>>
>>51582382
>botnet
>botnet
>botnet
>>
Mint Cinnamon.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.