[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Suitable Linux distribution for first time Linux user?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 5b2a984d7b-I'm running loads!.jpg (186 KB, 849x849) Image search: [Google]
5b2a984d7b-I'm running loads!.jpg
186 KB, 849x849
So yeah, what Linux distribution should a windows fag use?
I'm tired of my god damn PC getting slower and slower.
>>
>>51581510
Linux Mint
>>
Linux Mint or ElementaryOS
>>
Ubuntu or Mint.
I have Ubuntu on dual-boot on my PC and on my old 2007 laptop.
>>
File: manjaro_xfce_deafult.jpg (309 KB, 1920x996) Image search: [Google]
manjaro_xfce_deafult.jpg
309 KB, 1920x996
I go against the grain here

Manjaro
https://manjaro.github.io/download/

Why? Because of easy setup and you get AUR
what is AUR? Its place where you easily and fast find anything you ever hear of

Manjaro is based on Arch linux, but Arch has rather difficult installation process. So its better to go Manjaro or Antergos, both are easily installed arch.

also I recommend Xfce version
>>
Is there such a thing as a newfag version of gentoo?

I am a newb to linux and gentoo appeals to me on a personal level.
>>
>>51581683
funtoo
but seriously gentoo base shit is for people with LOT OF free time
no its not about learning, its about compiling every shitty thing
>>
>>51581707
Yeah I tried installing funtoo once in a vm before installing it on the actual comp

Got stuck after trying to install a gui other than xorg server or whatever it's called.
>>
>>51581683
Sabayon.
>>
>>51581683
>Is there such a thing as a newfag version of gentoo?
Yes, it's called ArchLinux.
>>
>>51581828
Yep, this is about the gentoo newfag option. Too bad it's garbage.
>>
>>51581599
>manjaro
0/10
>>
>>51581683

Gentoo "borrows" a lot from FreeBSD, so it may be the ideal choice. Just be warned it's not intentionally as difficult to install or use like Gentoo, so you'll have less opportunity to stroke your e-peen on /g/.

It does however encourage you to compile shit, and fuck compiling. You and I, and people like us do not need a fucking custom version of Nano. Sorry, but we are just in no sense special or unique enough to warrant that. Just use OpenBSD instead. It's a simpler system, designed to be fucking usable. It also assumes you might want to use it as a desktop, and makes that as painless and easy to do.

The FreeBSD people will just stare at you blankly, while mouthing the word "desktop" if you mention it to them, and then they'll try to convert you to their stupid-ass Mac cult, because they are all Apple fagots, and are for some reason not proud enough of their own OS to actually use it, even though it is a good one.

Keep in mind, the BSDs are not fucking Linux. They are Unix, and therefore do things correctly, like Unix should.
>>
Debian
>>
>>51581599
I second to manjaro. Although it's more for the users who are intermediate tier
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.