[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What can I do right now to get better at programming as quickly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 1448370394293.jpg (311 KB, 923x1600) Image search: [Google]
1448370394293.jpg
311 KB, 923x1600
What can I do right now to get better at programming as quickly as possible in the early stages of learning it?

Going through SICP? Or learning basic syntax and trying to build something along with constant googling and inevitable spaghetti code?
>>
>>51577474
Posting in the right thread helps, otherwise it's a matter of learning the language and breaking down others' code until you understand it. You have to learn various ways to do essentially the same thing and different models to apply elsewhere. Something as simple as generating a random color and applying it to an object on a timer could take a day or three of googling now because you don't have any models for similar actions.

In no order, preferably all at once:
>learn programming paradigms and the philosophy and theory
>learn syntax
>learn the language
This is very different from learning syntax.
>steal code and analyze it
>make shitty shit

In a few months to a year it gets easy. It's all about starting painfully small and getting it right the first time. There are maybe 3 books worth their weight in shit, so you pretty much have to learn it yourself or apprentice under a middle aged robot arm programmer and former sysop.
>>
>>51578055

what are the three books
>>
When you learn a new concept make a small program that implements it and understand why it does what it does
>>
File: 1447010812197.jpg (148 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1447010812197.jpg
148 KB, 900x900
>>51577474
>that comic
>getting girls as your sole motivation to learn and make dosh
>>
>>51578180
I see sicp and clrs tossed around, don't know #3
>>
>>51577474
If you date cheating sluts you get cheating sluts.

Comic is ridiculous, that shit doesn't even belong on /g/
>>
>>51577474
What kinds of programs are good to fuck around with. It seems to me that tutorials start newfaggots off with some boring text programs that ask your name and age and use it for madlibs bullshit.

>>51579236
TLCL - The Linux Command Line? I actually enjoyed that book alot more and felt like I learned more from it.>>51579360
>If you date cheating sluts you get cheating sluts.
True dat. But you never know who you're dealing with.

>Comic is ridiculous, that shit doesn't even belong on /g/
It's about tech grads. Ofcourse it's /g/ related.
>>
>>51577474
>learn syntax of a language
>look up a large project on github
>make a private fork of it
>study how it works
>extend it (it'll be shitty, but you'll learn design patterns)
All creative process begins at imitation. You'll start leveling like a motherfucker once you have a style to imitate.
>>
>>51579376
>What kinds of programs are good to fuck around with. It seems to me that tutorials start newfaggots off with some boring text programs that ask your name and age and use it for madlibs bullshit.
please reply.
>>
File: shot0003.jpg (40 KB, 720x304) Image search: [Google]
shot0003.jpg
40 KB, 720x304
>>51578906
>making dosh as your sole motivation for learning
>>
>>51578906
>tfw no Rommelfu
>>
>>51579360
I know enough Sci grads who fell for the women meme and lost everything. I'd say it's pretty relevant to /g/
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.