[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>install OSX >close button doesn't close >immediately
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 4
File: shit os.png (35 KB, 620x331) Image search: [Google]
shit os.png
35 KB, 620x331
>install OSX
>close button doesn't close
>immediately uninstall
>>
But it does close
>>
we've had this discussion before. did you think we'd rehash the exact same discussion just for you?
>>
>install OSX
>maximize button does not maximize
>immediately uninstall
>>
>>51573207
here's the link:
https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/S51142140
>>
>install windows
>closing a window closes the program too, except in random cases it doesn't and goes to a tiny location on the bottom right side of the screen called systray
>immediately uninstall
>>
>>51573198
>install OSX
>realize the fatal flaw in my judgment
>realize I never spent that much money
>paradox
>i never actually installed OSX
>flaw in judgement never occurred
>who installed OSX?
>>
>install Gentoo
>literally everything works exactly as I make it work
>laugh at thread about computerplebs who have to deal with the GUI design decisions aimed at retards
>>
>>51573198
Again?
>>
>>51573198
>doesnt comprehend the difference with 'close' and 'quit'
>>
>>51573198
On Windows it’s called the close button. A close button, as the name again refers, closes the window on Mac OS X, but it does not quit the application, which is a huge difference between how Windows reacts to the button. On Windows it’ll close just the window if there’s other windows open from the same program or it’ll exit out the program, which could be very annoying. This makes a huge difference because it’ll clear the RAM because you closed the program, but what if you closed your text processor and want to create a new document? You would have to reopen the program and have it load into the RAM again, which can be very time consuming, depending on the program’s size and your specs. How could you avoid this? By first going to File and then choosing “Create new document” or whichever the variant of that option is, depending on your program (that’s because Windows programs aren’t designed with consistency in mind). But then you’ll have two windows open and you will have to move the one on top around, or minimize it, in order to close the first one, which isn’t very user friendly. The guys over at Apple thought it was a better idea to give the user control on wether to close just the window and the application. The benefits are that the program will stay in your RAM, you can close your document and then open a new one. Are there any drawbacks? No, to close your program/app, you can click on the program’s name in the menu bar and navigate to quit, alternatively you could navigate to the Dock on the bottom and right click on the app you want to close and then choose quit. Or you could do it the fast way and just hold down the command button and press ‘Q’, which stands for quit.
>>
>>51573316
Free ram is wasted ram amirite?
>>
>>51573363
u r so rite
>>
>gentoo
>stumpwm
>never have to worry about stupid UX design again

Enjoy your faulty software.
>>
If it's an application that has more than one widow it doesn't quit. If it is a singular window app it does.

Wow so fucking hard.
>>
>so dumb you can't even use a mac

Kek.
>>
didn't we have this thread 86*10^12 times already?
>>
>>51573198
lol u rly stuck to ur principles there pal. nice. nice u went and promptly uninstalled it. instead of creating new connections in your brain learning how new things work. your hivemind horseshit opinion of os x had you uninstalling it right away! you lived loser you're gna die loser, hate to say
>>
>>51573658
this guy knows what's up
>no minimize
>no maximize
>no systray
>program is either alive or killed, visible or covered
>all screen space is automatically filled
>>
>>51573254
The GUI design decisions are made by your WM, not by your OS.

>tfw I coded my WM from scratch
>It Just Werks™
>>
>>51573363
up top.
>>
>>51573229
>what is the minimize button
Tell me why you need to close a window and keep a program open. Give me one good reason I'm waiting. Does the little indicator on the taskbar bother you so much?
>>
>>51573316
This is why we have a minimize button you fucking retard.
Close -> Closes program
Minimize -> Minimizes program
Maximize -> Have a fucking guess.
Mac users can't be this retarded can they?
>>
>Close doesn't close
>Maximize doesn't maximize
>>
>>51573873
>Tell me why you need to close a window and keep a program open.
to keep an http download running after i'm finished browsing web pages
>>
>>51573892
And Minimize doesn't work for you why?
>>
>>51573886
If you minimize a window it's still open.
Windows users can't be this retarded right?
>>
>hurr it doesn't work exactly like windows derp
Why are you even trying it if all you want is for something to work exactly like windows?

Red: close window
yellow: minimise
green: resize
hold down option for other options. pretty damn simple
>>
>>51573793
You can make a setup like that pretty, too.

I use Arch with Enlightenment WM. It's like that, but looks fucking fantastic too.

(and I have i3 for when Enlightenment shits itself)
>>
>>51573886
>close button kills the program instead of only closing the window

Windows user can't be this retarded can they?
>>
Why are you even eating shit from your hands if you know you don't like the taste of shit?
>>
>>51573916
What is your point? If I minimize it it is still open, yes. That's exactly the point, If I wanted to close the window I'd have clicked the close button.
>>
>>51573916
>>51573959
Do you shills have a guide book that tells you which responses to parrot when people point out obvious things to you. You're both spouting the same meme response down to the letter. I sure as fuck hope you're being paid otherwise you might not actually have a mind anymore.
>>
>>51574070
what is obvious is that OS X does not work like Windows works. What is not obvious, is why that is a negative aspect
>>
File: muhbotnet.jpg (118 KB, 646x593) Image search: [Google]
muhbotnet.jpg
118 KB, 646x593
>>51573363
But it is, even W10 now uses memory compression and free memory for caching executable files and commonly used libraries.
>>
>>51573873
>Tell me why you need to close a window and keep a program open
> Does the little indicator on the taskbar bother you so much?
Wow, criticizing a thing and then defending it in the same post. A new low of /g/ shitposting.
>>
>>51573316
That's the longest version of "Mac OS memory management sucks" i've read for quite some time. Keepping programs running because your OS can't into caching. I'm sure macfags will even defend that.
>>
>>51574099
Well it makes less sense you see, and it's endemic to apple products. They will ignore someone else's innovation if they can't lay claim of ownership on it. The end result is mac users suffer.
They don't use both systems so they're convinced, utterly convinced that they're system is better with no means of comparison.
Close, Minimize and Maximize covers every use case, combined with window snapping on Windows and WinKey+Cursors for moving windows it's so fast and so intuitive to move windows around it's unreal.
By comparison managing windows on a mac has always been painful, resizing windows is a pain in the ass, it's far too easy to lose windows in the background when you have more than a few open. Before Abobe rewrote their UI with QT you couldn't have multiple windows contained in another window so the toolbars and documents used to be a complete clusterfuck, almost impossible to work with if you had Photoshop and Illustrator and InDesign open at the same time it was a complete mess.
And who wants to go full screen more often then they want to maximize a window, the new functionality of the green button is stupid. Having to use a menu or a keyboard shortcut to close the program is annoying. Honestly Windows fr outshines OSX in this department but instead of Apple just saying "Okay you got that one, we'll copy that and get on with the next problem" like any other manufacturer would they kick they're heels in and wast immense amounts of money resolving problems that already have an optimal solution.
I mean, just look at the mouse. Apple have been consistently fucking up their mice for 2 decades. Trying to make little balls and trackpad sections and virtual right mouse buttons. JUST PUT A FUCKING WHEEL ON IT ALREADY!
At the end of the day it's mac users who suffer, that's why I can't understand the unwavering defence.
>>
>>51573245
Hackintosh
>>
>>51574280
i hope the isn't all OC. really not worth it dude. if you don't like OSX that's fine. Some fuckwit from /g/ can't educate me as to why the windows buttons work better than OSX traffic lights though
>>
>>51574280
ok just read the last half of that. It's 2015, and OSX has Mission control, and Macs have trackpads or mice with touch surfaces. for starters. time to update your knowledge about apple stuff or stop talking about it until apple invents a real time machine that can take you back to the 90s
>>
>Windows users don't understand the difference between program and windows
>Windows users don't know that Mac programs are usable without active windows visible because they have this thing called menu
>Windows users can't into multi-window programs (too hard to them to keep track of multiple windows, most of them always keep one window maximized and that's it)
>Windows users are unable to acknowledge that more and more Windows programs are adopting the same approach as OS X by using the systray
Doesn't surprise me to be honest. Of all three major OSes, Windows users are usually the dumbest ones.
>>
Oh, this shill again.

https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/?task=search&ghost=yes&search_text=%3Eclose+button+doesn%27t+close
>>
>>51574398
This
>>
>>51574280
Seems like you're the one that's suffering from brain damage.
>>
>>51574396
Mission control, a solution to a problem that only exists because of the retarded way macs manage windows. It's exactly what I'm talking about.
Mice with track surfaces, exactly the kind of idiocy i'm talking about, virtual right mouse and gestures on the mouse work like absolute arse. Again another solution to a problem apple have created themselves. A mouse wheel and a right button are the optimal solution. Everyone else in the world knows it and no manufacturer other than apple is retarded enough to try and make it.
Apple favors trackpads now for everything exactly because their mice are so absolutely shite. There's already a solution to this problem you know!
>>
>>51574489
you sound about 80 years old. mission control is so good that Windows 10 now has a half decent copy of it. Trackpads and touch mice are the future dude. Only reason not to use them is if you play games
>>
>>51574473
Can't argue a point, fling meme insult instead.
Do you even know why you're posting?
>>
>>51574518
do you even know why you are posting? Trying to "educate" a mac user, is like being last in a 100m sprint and trying to teach the guy coming first how to run properly
>>
>>51573316
>You would have to reopen the program and have it load into the RAM again, which can be very time consuming,
What fucking text editor are you talking about? Even Emacs starts in less than a second (unless your config file is shit).
>>
>install OSX
there's your problem, friend
>>
>>51574512
>Trackpads and touch mice are the future dude. Only reason not to use them is if you play games
No you have it backwards, trackpads are for facebook and candy crush. Try using pic related and see how far you get with your virtual right mouse. It would literally take you 100 times as long to do anything without a real mouse.
Why do I know you won't agree with this statement, cos it's clear that you only shitpost and have never had to do anything actually productive with your computer.
>>
>>51574141
I AM TOO GLAD THAT THE FEDS COULD RESTORE ALL THE DIRT FROM THE MEMORY
>>
>>51574617
what % of people need to use Maya? Apple stuff has always been made for the 95%
>>
>>51574632
So it's too productive for you.
>>
>>51573796
>coded his own WM
>implying you didn't just cobble together openbox configs.
>>
>>51574648
I do not require the functions that Maya provides. Pretty crazy i know
>>
>>51574648
>Only my field of productivity qualifies as productivity
>>
>>51574706
/g/ in a nutshell
>>
>>51573316
>what is prefetch and superfetch
>>
>>51574562
>never had to use word on a slow computer
i feel lucky for you
>>
>>51574632
By that logic you are literally admitting that MacBooks are first and foremost Facebook machines.

Except, of course, the 95% of computer users worldwide probably have learned the mouse wheel and right click intuitively, not so with the convoluted single mouse button and track pads that change for absolutely no reason every few iterations.
>>
>>51575012
the mac is made for the 95%. the mouse is made for the 95%. Safari is made for the 95%. etc. this has always been apples basic philosophy. if you think 95% of the world only use their computers for Facebook, you are delusional. trackpad with gestures is much faster than a traditional mouse for most tasks in OS X. Need to use Maya? buy a mouse and assign mission control to a button. Not a big deal. Consider using a mac some time dude as you opinion about them is clearly based of short usage of a pre mission control, pre gestures, pre multitouch trackpad, etc macs
>>
>>51575069
I use a mac everyday at work, I have a windows machine with OSX dual booting at home. I use it every fucking day. Mission control, gestures and multitouch trackpads are all solutions to a problem that wouldn't exist if apple could make a proper mouse.
>>
>>51575137
so which mouse are you using? Because the magic mice have all the features you claim they don't
>>
you do know there's a option to make the red button close like in windows and the yellow minimise? Its in the settings somewhere I have it on my rmbp for work
>>
File: logitech-performance-mouse-mx.jpg (432 KB, 1280x1063) Image search: [Google]
logitech-performance-mouse-mx.jpg
432 KB, 1280x1063
>>51575151
Literally the best mouse around for the inifnite scroll wheel, wheel works sideways too so you can rock it left and right. Easy dpi switcher so you can jump to "fine" mode if you need to do something pixel perfect. Work on almost any surface, even shiny/refelctive surfaces. It literally makes the magic mouse look like a toy.
>>
>>51575220
no i mean which apple mouse are you using that you claim somehow limits you compared to another mouse? didn't you say you can't right click on an apple mouse? you can. didn't you say you can scroll with an apple mouse? you can. can you pinch to zoom on your logitech?
>>
>>51573909
Because then I'm keeping random tabs open that I don't need, and wasting resources for no reason.
>>
>>5157524
That's not what I said at all.
Firstly I don't use any mac mice because they're fucking shit. After a few weeks of using the magic mouse when I started my current job I bought another one of pic above and use that.
Back to my point though. You "can" right click on the magic mouse but it's fucking shit. You "can" scroll on a magic mouse but it's fucking shit. If you have the virtual right click on it's always getting confused about what button your trying to push and it doesn't feel natural trying to find the area your trying to click. It's just a shitty shitty mouse.
>>
>>51575240
not the guy you're arguing with, but the magic mouse is not ergonomic at all, especially pinch-to-zoom gesture. Option click is tapping two fingers, just like trackpad.
>>
>>51575284
And why can't you close tabs? Are you special needs or something?
>>
>>51575240
The right click in iOS was shoehorned in and the OS wasn't designed originally with right click in mind. Thats obviously what he was getting at.
>>
>>51575302
>>51575314
yeah i don't use it. ergonomics are unquestionably shit, and the tracking probably sint' too good. but it right clicks fine, scrolls both vertically and horizontally without issue, and does extra stuff like other gestures.

I don't think this guy has really thought about his argument though. Originally he was saying that OSX windows management was shit, then he was saying that mission control and stuff is only needed because apple mice are so bad. So why isn't he happy just using a different mouse with OSX? Personally i grew up on windows and pc gaming. I haven't used a mouse in the entirety of using my macbook. There's just no need, and i'm faster at everyday tasks, and don't have to lug a mouse around with me.
>>
>>51573198
>close button
>maximize button
That's not what they are, idiot. Not every OS works the same.

>>51574489
>virtual right mouse and gestures on the mouse work like absolute arse
If you are clinically retarded.

>A mouse wheel and a right button are the optimal solution
>2015
>still using a mouse
It's like you're a gaymer.
>>
>>51573873
>Tell me why you need to close a window and keep a program open. Give me one good reason I'm waiting
Torrents, Dropbox/Cloud Services, Music Players, Mail Clients, all kind of Messengers, Download managers, Calendars that work in the background to remind you of shit that is happening.

Its actually more the rule rather than the exception.
>>
>>51573245
VM
>>
>>51575355
talking about OSX for starters. OSX has better context menus than windows anyway, even when Macs required option-clicking to get to them
>>
>>51575365
>faster at everyday tasks

doubt.jpg
>>
>>51575410
if it wasn't i would use a mouse.
>>
>>51575375
>>still using a mouse
>It's like you're a gaymer.
So you children now count a mouse as "just for stoopid gaymers", a true sign for the facebook shitposting generation. If it doesn't play muh candy crush and do facebook it's for grandad. Next it'll be keyboards, just for gamers, why would anyone need to type right? Let's all just limit our computer use to posting on facebook and we won't need any of the tools we've been refining for the last 40 years, we can just tap away slowly with one finger on a big red plastic button like stephen fucking hawkins.
>>
>>51575425
how do you click on webpage links?
>>
>>51575435
what do you mean? I click on them
>>
>>51575445
and it takes longer to do so with a touchpad than it would with a mouse correct? given the lack of precision due to a smaller surface to move around?
>>
>>51573316
That's what RAM buffer is for. Retard
>>
>>51575433
Keybinds are obviously better used with a trackpad. Just admit that you never had Apple hardware and stop shitposting already.
>>
>>51575365
>There's just no need, and i'm faster at everyday tasks
I'm thinking that you're everyday tasks don't involve doing anything worthwhile or productive and that's why you don't need a mouse.
>>
just filtered *VIP* whatever whatever

try it out guys it's pretty nice
>>
>>51575480
>not making everyone anonymous

ur a fgt harry.
>>
>>51575460
no, i get anywhere on my screen with one swipe and then click the trackpad. no different to a mouse. the only thing in everyday tasks where it can be harder is dragging and dropping stuff. but you get used to utilising the multitouch to increase your drag distance
>>
>>51575433
A decent trackpad paired with proper OS support works just fine for 95% of users. On a Mac the trackpad works beautifully.

The problem is that Windows OEMs use the shittiest trackpads imaginable, and Windows still can't into trackpad gestures or scrolling acceleration/inertia. If this has been your only exposure to trackpads, then of course you'll believe they are inadequate compared to a mouse.
>>
>>51575472
you would be wrong, unless you consider everyday tasks as the professional utilisation of professional software in every professional field of professions
>>
>>51575514
Firstly stop banging on about the 95%, that only makes my point that apple shit is just a facebook machine for idiots.
Second I have used apple trackpads, you're fucking delusional if you think that everybody who complains about it has just never used it. They have, it's not as good as a mouse.
Any trackpad is serviceable if your just reading emails and shitposting and it makes sense to put them on laptops which you might be using while out and about reading emails and shitposting but if your going to anything productive or use a program of some complexity, stuff like video editing, 3d graphics, cad, audio editing or anything like that you're gonna go for a mouse because even now a shitty $10 mouse is STILL a lot better then even the best trackpad.
But that's all a moot point anyway as we were talking about OSX on a desktop and the shitty state of Apples mice which do thoroughly stink.
And the reason they stink is that Apple can't admit when the competition has outdone them.
You see all the PC manufacturers have looked at apples trackpad and gone "yeah, that works alright on a laptop" and they've started copying them, many of them are shit at the moment but they will keep getting better until they are as good or better. I think that's fine.
Apple won't do that the other way though, when the 2 button mouse with a wheel in the middle was created it was the best solution. It's the most accurate and speedy way to interact with a computer. A good mouse combined with a good keyboard is the ultimate input method. I'm not talking about what's good on a laptop or in some specific situation, i'm talking about lab conditions, the guy with the mouse and keyboard is gonna get more done in the same time as the guy on the trackpad, that's a fucking fact.
But apple won't give in and adopt a type of mouse they can't claim ownership on so you guys end up with these abominations like the magic mouse.
>>
OSX's window management is a shit. Literally the only desktop is that treats the main application window as a child module to the menubar
>>
>>51573793
Thanks, not using a mouse is a big improvement. I only use it for web surfing.
>>
>>51573198

If you're still clicking buttons to close windows, you shouldn't even be on this board.
>>
>browse /g/
>copy pasta keeps getting pasta
>take the bait
>>
>>51576617
How do you close a window then?
>>
>>51576692

Cmd+W to close a window, Cmd+Q to close the program altogether. Alt+F4 in Windows/Linux.
>>
>>51576719
But these are buttons
>>
>>51573254
this desu

>use i3/openbox/awesome/whatever the fuck I want
>if I want a close button I have one, if I want a minimize button I have one, it all works how I want
lol @ these silly arguments
>>
>>51576802
no theyre binds illiterate. I agree with him too, mod+shift+u/i/o/p close master race
>>
>>51575707

Sounds like you need to git gud at trackpad.

>>51576828

Keybind master race.
>>
>>51575707
>But that's all a moot point anyway as we were talking about OSX on a desktop and the shitty state of Apples mice which do thoroughly stink.

I use the Magic Trackpad on my iMac, nigger. And it is amazing. The Magic Mouse does suck, though, I'll give you that.
>>
Who uses those buttons anyway? Press command-Q to quit the application, or command-W to close the window. Or is that too complicated for windows users?
>>
>>51578108
>windows user
>keybinds
Please.
>>
>>51573873
So I don't have to wait 30s for After Effects or some other big program to load again
>>
>>51575377
But those things like torrents go down into systray
>>
>>51578269
>>51578108

You know, as a Windows user, I was always obsessed with keybinds. I was a big fan of AutoHotkey. Once I got used to OS X, I was so fucking happy. The UI is heavily based on the keyboard, and I love it. It's a learning curve to someone who isn't used to keybinds, but for someone who always wanted them, it's their fondest wet dream.
>>
>>51578371
>go down into systray
so...
>install Windows
>close button doesn't close
>immediately uninstall
>>
>>51578534

The Windows systray actually drove me fucking crazy. It either looks cluttered and busy, or it outright hides most of its menu items until you expand it... and the resulting menu is cluttered and busy. Also, those little fucking 32x32 icons are so nondescript that I always have to hover to tell what's what.

In OS X, when apps are "dormant" (i.e. are open, but have no open windows), they still show up in the Cmd+Tab menu. Which is exactly where I want them.
>>
>>51575322
how do you close all tabs but not the window? you are a special kind of retard aren't you?
I remember accidently closing chrome because it doesn't signify it's still downloading something in windows.
Glad I'm part of the macintosh master race now
>>
>>51578702
>how do you close all tabs but not the window?

You run OS X, that's how. Macintosh master race indeed.
>>
>>51573245
VM
>>
>>51578749
shh. let him keep on memeing
>le macs r gay xD
>>
https://rbt.asia/g/?task=search2&search_media_hash=PWMclqUu5bPiTm95aEgp7A%3D%3D
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.