[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'd maybe ask on /lit/ if that board wasn't deader
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2
File: 57.jpg (147 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
57.jpg
147 KB, 1000x1000
I'd maybe ask on /lit/ if that board wasn't deader than dead, but what's the deal with e-book readers? Are they worth it nowadays and do you own any? Should I just go for Kindle and call it a day considering Paperwhite is almost double the price where I live?
>>
>>52883310

>kindle drm'ed proprietary format cancer
>kobo chinese crap

Barnes and Noble Nook or nothing
>>
>>52883310
I have the Sony reader (PR-1 or something like that, the first, most basic one). Works great. It's not something you're looking to replace each year like a phone. As long as this shit can show letters to me I'm sticking with it.

Fuck capitalism btw
>>
>>52883320
Nook is a nice alternative if you actually live in the US, but I'd really recommend just getting Kindle everywhere else.

>>52883310
Make sure it's at least touchscreen generation one and you're good to go. Also, Paperwhite is overrated as fuck. Amazon is basically charging you extra for their proprietary Carta e-ink and the ability to read in the dark. You know, if you're one of those people who read their books in PITCH FUCKING BLACKNESS for extra immersion.
>>
>>52883310
I'm just waiting on color ink since I read copious amount of mango. I used the Nook HD+, but mine had a few problems with the touchscreen, eventually not recognizing my inputs at all. After that shitfest, I went with a chinese tablet with a high res display for $150. I think it's the Cube i6.
>>
got a paperwhite 3, pretty based little thing.
Especially since the new heap spray exploit allows you to jailbreak it relatively painlessly.
>>
>>52883457
>jailbreak

for what purpose exactly? ebooks are as simple as c/p them or going calibre if there's drm.
>>
>>52883480
Custom fonts / font sizes, being able to use the 3g to browse sites other than amazon and wikipedia.
Being able to display things in different formats.
SFTP/ssh into the device,
Need I say more ? It's basically a low power linux machine with a java frontend.
>>
>>52883310
I have kindle2014 and my brother paperwhite

They looks pretty much the same except that paperwhite has backlight obviously
>>
>>52883496
I see. well that's alright, although I use my kindle just for reading books and I just convert shit to readable formats.
>>
Sony Reader PRS-T1. Still works fucking good.
>>
I would go for the Nook Glolight or whatever it's called. Backlit, 4gb which is plenty of space, and you can find them for under 50 dollars refurbished on eBay and probably other places as well. Mine works great, highly recommended. Takes ePub and mobi which are the primary formats I use, and of course, PDF.
>>
>>52883310
I prefer hard books but I have a kobo H2O that I like. It is clear and page turns are quick 5 of 6 times and it is waterproof. I never use kobo store but you can add ttf font families easily provided correct names.
>>
>>52883480
With the kobo you can install a full web browser. JS works and everything.
>>
>>52883310
kobo aura (non-hd) or kobo glo hd.

kindles don't support epub, so a little bit annoying having to convert books.

but at the end of the day, pretty much any reader you get will work.
just don't expect to use it for anything other than books.
>>
>>52883659
>not cross compiling and running ngnix on your kindle
git gud.
>>
File: 20160208_083507.jpg (4 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
20160208_083507.jpg
4 MB, 4160x3120
>tfw I read epubs, converted pdfs (via k2pdfopt) and manga (with Tachiyomi) on my Icarus E653.

Comfiest shit ever.

- 1024 x 758 pearl screen with illumination
- Android 4.2.
- some Rockshit CPU
- enough RAM to never hang

Installed F-Droid and Nova launcher. Removed the chinacrapps which were included by default.

I set up a cock.li address for K-9 mail and send the files to the ebook reader from my phone or laptop.
>>
>>52883869
BUDAPEST!!!

seriously though that's a cool setup, also hungarians are magical space creatures and you're language is unlearnable.
>>
>>52883918
Don't you be talking shit about Finno-Ugric languages
>>
>>52883994
Nem mondtam semmi roszat csak anyit hogy KURWA nehéz.
I would know I tried.
>>
i just read them on my phone
>>
>>52884008

Ereader anon here.
Your writing is p gud m8. And thanks!
>>
>>52883320
mobi is a proprietary format?

damn :(

Really though calibre + kindle paperwhite is really nice.
>>
>>52884111
it is, converters exist
>>
>>52884111
Formats are really not a problem with ebook readers, though. If everything else fails for some reason you can just put a very basic .txt file and read it that way.
>>
I love my Kindle Keyboard, it's currently waiting on a replacement screen. I don't like the paperwhite, only textbooks are actually white.

>>52883320
>he actually buys books from the actual store
>>
>get a Kindle
>literally nothing SF or fantasy to read

Is there a single book from those genres that had come in recent years and was actually worth reading? It's like I always just end up digging through shit I already read.
>>
You can convert any type of ebook format into any other format with Calibre, so in the end it doesn't matter what device you get. That said, you might as well get the model that will support the majority of your files out of the box:

If you plan on finding the majority of your books online or by pirating, get a Kobo because it supports epub and PDF and a bunch of other stuff (most books you'll find online come in these formats). Some Kobo models have microSD slots too which is nice if you'd rather side-load and never have to bother plugging the device into your computer.

If you plan on actually paying for books and making an account with a store, just get a Kindle. Amazon is by far the best walled garden out of all the walled gardens when it comes to books.
>>
>>52884223
Go read Blindsight and Echopraxia if you haven't already. By peter Watts.
>>
>>52884240
I'll check them out, thanks. Blindsight's synopsis sounds fucking mental.
>>
>>52884223
What do you like? Wool is pretty based.
>>
>>52884337
I'll take anything that's not fucking young adult drivel with 5+ sequels and some poorly Photoshopped cover. Those books seem to have taken over everything.
>>
>>52884326
blindsight is pretty fucking mental, it's hardcore hard sf with really dark undertones. hope you enjoy anon.
>>
Is there any affordable color reader?
>>
>>52884363
>5+ sequels

do you have something against series, or just bad series?
>>
>>52884223

I assume you have read the ggod stuff like Heinlein already?

Mistborn series for Fantasy.

Old Man's War, Lost Fleet (Jack Campbell, there is one of those shitty kindle store only books of the same name), Culture Series(Iain M. Banks) for SF.

All are series, but the are good.
>>
Question /g/:

How is the support for PDFs on most of these? If I get one I want it to review books and papers and shit on it... Is that possible?
(e.g., does something like this: http://spars05.irisa.fr/ACTES/TS1-3.pdf render correctly?)
>>
>>52884657
I didn't really care for Mistborn, doesn't feel fleshed out and the characters seem disconnected.

I loved some of Sanderson's other stuff though, Stormlight, Warbreaker, Elantris. The Reckoners was okish.
>>
>>52884236
calibre doesn't do kf8, which is amazon's newest format and needed for their new rendering engine's features like hypenthation
>>
Kindle 4, it's display is smashed, no one will repair it.
Should I repair it or get a new one?
>>
>>52884223
Malazan series is relatively recent in a sense it began in 1999 which is modern as fuck as far as fantasy classics go. Keep in mind it goes balls to the walls from the first book and doesn't ease you in at all, which has put off a lot of readers.
>>
>>52884675
With a kindle + librerator there is decent pdf reflow and it will display okay. However, with the stock reader software it will look like shit
>>
>>52883869
What firmware version do you have installed?
Mine works reasonably but occasionally freezes for no reason. Reboot fixes it, but it's still annoying.
>>
>>52884782

I guess I'm a bit behind the news on this format since I haven't bought an ebook from Amazon in the past year but a quick google search seems to indicate that kf8 is the same thing as azw3 which I'm pretty sure is supported?

>>52884675

I've only used Kobo devices but when it comes to any e-ink screen, basically what you have to keep in mind is that the screen needs to re-render every time you zoom in, move the page around, etc. so it's a bit clunky but definitely not bad. It's worth it for the sake of not having to read off of an LCD screen.
>>
>>52884782
>>52884892

Actually I just remember kf8/azw3 usually have DRM, so you need this plugin:

http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/06/25/how-add-kindle-drm-removal-plugin-calibre/#.UH0sGcXA_Hw

to deal with them in Calibre. Been so long since I've dealt with those files I forgot I had that plugin installed.
>>
I just orderded kobo touch how fucked am I?
>>
>>52884016
The advantage is that the battery life for a kindle is very long, like weeks long.
>>
>>52884987
Not really. Reader doesn't matter as long as it works and you can read shit off of it. Everything else is quibbling about additional features and unlockable shit.
>>
I have a Kindle 4 (2011 - grey). Are any of the newer readers worth upgrading to? I use mine every day and one of the page turns buttons is unresponsive but it works well otherwise.
>>
>>52885012

My paperwhite has shit battery life. Barely a week. A book or two at most.

My old Sony rarely needed a dedicated charge cycle because it was able to pull enough charge from plugging it in to transfer books.
>>
>>52884987

Not fucked at all, it's a good choice for a cheap ereader. No point buying a Kindle if you aren't gonna pay for books anyways.
>>
What ereader has the best battery life overall?
>>
>>52883496
>SFTP/ssh into the device

Dude it's a kindle. Why?
>>
>>52885491
ipad air 2
>>
>>52885662
well Sftp has the obvious use of sending books in wireless-ly, but in general why not ?
>>
I have a Kindle Touch not '14. It's pretty good, I'm finally taking a vacation this summer so I plan on reading the Dark Tower series in it's entirety. I might read LoTR as well.
>>
Get a kobo glo HD then replace the internal microsd card with a nice 64gb one
>>
Will anyone ever make a ~9" e-ink reader?

6-6.8" is too small. They're not big enough to comfortably read manga.
>>
>>52883427
I read a lot. If I'm waiting for a bus at a shitty stop and not much lighting, or if I'm reading at night as a passeger in a car, it's nice to have paperwhite. Too bad I can't afford it, still got the basic no touch and no light model.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.