[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: 1447595597144.png (106 KB, 749x573) Image search: [Google]
1447595597144.png
106 KB, 749x573
Don't use Manjaro edition.

Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies), we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to Linux as your new home and working onmaking it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-*buntus except vanilla Ubuntu (Unity)
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
>>>/g/sqt
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://github.com/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/
>>
OP, you clueless nigger.
1. Manjaro is a good intro to Arch, never prohibit people to use a distro if you haven't used it.
2. LinuxMint != Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon; Mint comes with different DEs and there is a Debian derivatives to it.
>>
>>51570919
derivative*
>>
Manjaro is a great distro
its arch easily installed
its great looking out of the box
stuff has nicely done GUI
you get AUR
and you are bit safer than on arch thanks to delayed updates as they watch if arch community wont have some issues

yeah you get security fixes later too, but we talk desktop rolling distro
faggots who cry about that are focusing on that because there is no other draw back of manjaro approach

So yeah, OP is just butthurt faggot as always
>>
File: 1448138709755.jpg (316 KB, 1024x1400) Image search: [Google]
1448138709755.jpg
316 KB, 1024x1400
>>51570890
>Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here

you mean this one?
>>
>>51570960
why not antergos then?
>>
>>51570919
>Manjaro is a good intro
>frequently breaks more than Arch
>Uses their own repo for placebo "security" shit
sure thing senpai :^)

>Mint comes with different DEs
and no differences with their Ubuntu counterparts.

>>51570960
>implying antergos isn't better than that shit
>>
File: POO_ON_ANTERGOS.png (586 KB, 1354x1246) Image search: [Google]
POO_ON_ANTERGOS.png
586 KB, 1354x1246
>>51571004
Antergos turns people cruel. Picture related
>>
>>51570986
You can always replace Dolphin (why recommend something that pulls every KDE dependencies), and Popcorn Time is dead. Other than that I think it's good.

P.S.: Why don't you put your recommended list in the wiki? I'm just following what the wiki OP, you can always edit it out.
>>
>>51571017
>frequently breaks more than Arch
>devs constantly asking people to be careful with the AUR
>use the AUR anyways
>how to use yaourt: y>n>y>[passwd]
>compatibility issues
>packages break
>rage post on 4chinz /gee/
>(you)
>>
>>51571017
>antergos
>currynigger-made theme pre-installed
stay keked
>>
>>51571028
link-related senpai :^)
http://archive.is/JeOLo

>>51571056
>using a distro which is too hipster/paranoid to use arch repos and still uses AUR functionality
>>
>>51571074
Enjoy your curry mixed pre installed theme
>>
>>51570292
Yeah, hopefully everything clears up by 4.4 but I guess I'll have to hop on Win 10 to check if it's hardware.
Only reason I'm really stressing is I only built this computer a week ago and I'd like to get any possible RMA's done asap.
>>
>>51571082
>m-muh white pride
>m-muh master race
>>>/b/
>>
>>51571102
fuck off, satya
>>>/designated_alley_996/
>>
>>51571116
keep butthurt while we're taking your jobs, john :^)
>>
>>51571125
Get back to india and stop shilling your theme
>>
File: CnchiError-600x165.png (17 KB, 600x165) Image search: [Google]
CnchiError-600x165.png
17 KB, 600x165
There are people here RIGHT NOW who are shilling antergos
>>
File: img.png (36 KB, 658x314) Image search: [Google]
img.png
36 KB, 658x314
>>51571230
>>51571139
>>51571082
>>51571065
>>51571028
>>
>>51570919
>Manjaro is a good intro to Arch
Literally, LITERALLY no reason to "intro" to arch. If you're not familiar enough with Linux to use arch, you're not familiar enough to use a fork of arch and should stay on mint/ubuntu/debian until you feel comfortable with installing arch, manually.
>>
>>51571247
forgot the :^)
>>
File: Untitled.png (544 KB, 1458x897) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
544 KB, 1458x897
>>51571247
>>51571255
fixed :^)
>>
>>51571331
I actually keked!
ty anon
>>
File: thisNeverHappenned.gif (113 KB, 478x356) Image search: [Google]
thisNeverHappenned.gif
113 KB, 478x356
>>51571357
I am keking myself. You're wc, anon
>>
Haven't used linux since I was a teen, nearly a decade ago now. Can I still get it looking pretty as fuck? Though other OSes have caught up in that regard, I remember using compiz or beryl or whatever it was called. Looked better than any other OS at the time. Blew my mind rotating the dektop. I was easily amused.

Is security a concern with linux now? Have things gotten easier to set up? I used to enjoy all the tinkering, installed gentoo once but I can't be assed with too much hassle these days, though the extra flexibility is nice. I just don't want to spend hours getting xorg to work, then another one getting flash to work, then another two wondering why my connection keeps dropping.
>>
I'm kind of a noob to Linux, what's wrong with Antergos?
>>
>>51571382
>beryl
I haven't heard that name since long ago, anon.
>>
>>51571413
useless alternative to the architect installer
>>
>>51571413
manjaro shills, just don't listen to them.
>>
>>51571413
just use opensuse leap, lång support and very ez to use, thanks to yast
>>
File: 1446769466459.png (239 KB, 814x1685) Image search: [Google]
1446769466459.png
239 KB, 814x1685
friendly reminder
>>
>>51571413
Installer is constantly broken
Makes installing a potentially unstable OS piss easy which may fuck over newbies.
>>
File: The Official _g_ guide.png (62 KB, 803x714) Image search: [Google]
The Official _g_ guide.png
62 KB, 803x714
>>51571453
Hourly reminder
>>
>>51571453
Still full of shit
>>
>>51571453
>No Quality Control
>He doesn't know Linus' and Greg's rant when something is wrong

What a bullshit article.
>>
>>51571453
>Windows 8 received 1,240,000,000 hours of testing
>Oops, something happened :(
>>
>>51571453
>No QC
https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/12/23/75
>>
>>51571382
>Is security a concern with linux now?
Security was always a concern. All bugs are a concern.
>Have things gotten easier to set up?
Yes
>I just don't want to spend hours getting xorg to work
KMS works on all Intel GPUs, AMD GPUs on systems that include binary blobs, and most NVIDIA GPUs without acceleration.
>then another one getting flash to work
Chrome ships with flash.
>then another two wondering why my connection keeps dropping.
You bought a laptop or computer from a manufacturer that uses Ralink or Broadcom chips to increase their margins.
>>
>>51571382
>Can I still get it looking pretty as fuck?
Yus! It's the best for making look super nice. You can even make it pink and purple :3
>>
>>51571610
Get the fuck out, ushifag.
>>
>>51571624
hey

HEY

I'm a ben clone not ushi bro
>>
>>51571630
Either way, get the fuck out. Go back to /g/ zoo. (aka. Desktop Thread)
>>
How I wasted my Saturday evening:
>Download and boot into the main Parabola ISO
>Notice the mirrors being slow
>Cntrl+C; vi /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
>No mirrors near an ausfag
Damage level: low
>Installation wiki was actually pretty intuitive
>Install a DE, login to it
>pacman -S chromium
>not found
>pacman -Ss chromium
>not found
>pacman -Ss firefox
>not found
>pacman -Ss opera
>suggests icecat
>install ice cat
>cancer
Damage level: medium
>Try and compile base-devel yajl package-query, want yaourt
>fail
Damage level: alarming
>Parabola wiki
>poor documentation
>"b43-fwcutter is a blacklisted package"
Damage level: Fatal
>Fuck back to arch
>regret
What could have I done, /flt/?

Also, fuck antergos
>>
>>51571661
He asked if he could make it look pretty though. Why are you so angry? I keep my rice shit in the desktop thread sperg.
>>
Would Bash scripting be a good introduction to programming ?
>>
>>51571671
>Parabola
Why the fuck would you use FSF-endorsed distros? All of them are shit.
>>
File: richard_stallman.jpg (1 MB, 2700x1801) Image search: [Google]
richard_stallman.jpg
1 MB, 2700x1801
>>51571687
Just wanted to see how autistic can I get. Apparently, my hardware will not let me
>>
>>51571676
no
>>
>>51571706
Just use Architect.
>>
>>51571687
>All of them are shit.
Trisquel works well for me. The default desktop is great, and the selection of packages is good. I don't know why you'd have a problem with Parabola. If you're using Arch without proprietary software, you can quite easily have exactly the same desktop with Parabola.
>>
>>51571004
antergos team seems less dedicated, installer is often not working in my virtualbox, though xfce DE did not dissapoint
and it does not provide the delayed updates safety

also check the size of antergos and manjaro community, their forums.

thats why IMO
>>
>>51571720
Why is that
>>
>>51571726
too easy :^)
>>51571731
broadcom wireless chip requires broadcom-wl(-dkms). b43-fwcutter is a dependancy, which is blacklisted by their FSF devs.
Also who the fuck uses Iceweasel/Icecat?
>>
>>51571731
I game, anon. Your free software philosophy bullshit is irrelevant here.
>>
>>51571676
Go with something more universal, like Python. It's relatively easy. Once you can handle that, you can move on to more complex aspects like OOP.
>>
>>51571750
extremely basic

it'd be a great intro to syntax and the idea behind scripting anything at all, but nothing serious
>>
>>51571676
Learn C. It is the lingua franca of programming.
>>
MATE is simle most STABLE gui i have met
And lxde and gnome 3 cinnamon crashed. And. Lag a lot for me
Espesially when viewing hi res pics
>>
File: tbh.png (7 KB, 412x69) Image search: [Google]
tbh.png
7 KB, 412x69
What am I in for /g/?

Planning to install VMWare Workstation and virtualize my servers.
>>
>>51571785
Enjoy your ugly window effects
>>
>>51571785
ye

xfce is gud for stability 2
>>
>>51571789
use centos desu senpai
>>
>>51571754
>which is blacklisted by their FSF devs.
Because it's a proprietary driver, as is the case with most of Broadcom and Intel wireless cards. It's great that you wanted to move to a free distribution, but there's nothing to be done if you're dependent on proprietary software/blobs. Which is why I said "using Arch without proprietary software".

>Also who the fuck uses Iceweasel/Icecat?
Plenty people. I assume Iceweasel is the most popular browser for Debian users. You do know they are both Firefox with branding removed, and in the case of Icecat, an add-on bundled in the default installation. Right? If your problem is that you don't like the icons, you can always replace them yourself.
>>
>>51571806
FUCK OFF, STALLMAN
>>
>>51571803
Any particular reason, family? Don't know much about it.
>>
>>51571770
Alright that makes sense
>>
>>51571815
CentOS is basically RHEL, free version.
>>
>>51571806
RMS senpai, cleanse my laptop with a holy reverse-engineered wireless driver.
>>
>>51571765
If I were Stallman, my advice would have been to buy an Atheros NIC, or a new computer. I'm not forcing anything on anyone - if you want to use proprietary software, you're an adult and that's your choice. I just want to help people who would like to use an endorsed distribution use one, and prevent people like the Broadcom guy from wasting his time trying to get something to work that simply will not work. Sometimes that requires telling people "don't run an endorsed distribution - it wont work for you".

No need to get angry.
>>
>>51571837
I'm not RMS, and I don't think he could do that either. Broadcom in particular seem to dislike releasing free drivers - they even seem to dislike the idea of releasing them as open source, but with binary blobs. They aren't as bad as they used to be. We use Dell Poweredge servers in our racks, and Broadcom have actually worked to get bnx2x support into the Kernel, unlike their older bnx2 NICs.
>>
>>51571860
>>51571897
Where can I get proper information on which laptops to buy next time so that I can go full free?
>>
File: esa.jpg (927 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
esa.jpg
927 KB, 2000x2000
I am using Xubuntu and I would like to install KDE.
Will that fuck up my system? Would I be able to remove KDE and all of its packages without any problems if I decide so?
Is it better to reinstall whole system with another DE instead of installing multiple DEs?It's just that I didn't put my home on separate partition from the system so its kind a hassle to back up everything and reinstall all the programs back on new DE...
>>
File: uefi_.jpg (279 KB, 855x998) Image search: [Google]
uefi_.jpg
279 KB, 855x998
>>51571045
>You can always replace Dolphin (why recommend something that pulls every KDE dependencies),

I feel Dolphin has the most features and settings out of the popular DEs file managers (Nautilus/Nemo, Thunar, PCmanFM), Thunar with plugins and some knowledge to customize and use scripts is though extremely competent and maybe even better/lighter, but out of the box dolhpin edged it IMO so I choose it

How does the fact that you pull 50-80MB of KDE dependencies impact you in any way and make it suddenly not worthy to be on the list? How about KDE users? Should guide be set against them and better shit not be mentioned because its KDE?

>and Popcorn Time is dead. Other than that I think it's good.

not entirely dead, but qbittorrent or 90% of other torrent clients allow you to download sequentially and you can play it right away

problem is, what to put in its space instead? Got skype/tox/pidgin lined up as the candidates for its position but that feels like place holder that gives very little value to the infographic similarly to thunderbird there, it should be there of course but it could be mangled amongst some others if there was enough interesting software to compete for space
I feel at least popcorn time informs people about possibility to watch torrents right away, but I will eventually change it I believe, just not sure for what

>P.S.: Why don't you put your recommended list in the wiki?

gentoo wiki already got recommended list, use that it if you like it

>I'm just following what the wiki OP, you can always edit it out

Did OP wiki told you to use that manjaro image? You posted stuff its yours, if you would dissagree with it you would edited the wiki and they would let the changes be, right?

Anyway I am not much of a follower, not when I consider text you are putting there in to OP very poorly done and too much opinionated pushing own favorites, going with too much confusion, too much text and some redundancy.
>>
>>51571977
>Anyway I am not much of a follower, not when I consider text you are putting there in to OP very poorly done and too much opinionated pushing own favorites, going with too much confusion, too much text and some redundancy.

Once again, I didn't made the text. I just follow the /flt/ wiki. I posted the pic just to fill the thread requirement.
>>
>>51571977
>How does the fact that you pull 50-80MB of KDE dependencies impact
>50-80MB
>>
>>51571921
Don't, you'll never get it. The best you can get for FREE is RMS' Thinkpad X60
>>
>>51572044
>m-muh 6GB storage
>>
>>51571921
You'd want to check the manufacturer's page. If you want to go full free all the way down, you could spring for a libreboot bios thinkpad that's 100% free software top to boton.

>>51571967
It won't fuck up your system.
You will probably be able to remove the DE, but if you've installed anything that depends on parts of KDE, it'll leave in what those depend on.
It's a matter of preference. If you're just starting out with your new install and want to change DEs, I'd suggest reinstalling, but otherwise there's no harm in it. Welcome to the bloatnet!
>>
>>51571921
h-node.org lists laptops and how well they work with free software. The devices listed as A-Platinum are fully compatible. Really, the primary things to look for are an Intel GPU and Atheros Wireless. RMS would probably tell you to buy a glugglug/libiquiti laptop because they have coreboot support. But I find them prohibitively expensive. I'd actually recommend checking the site out to everyone - even if you have no interest in running a free distribution. If a device is rated an A on h-node, it doesn't just mean it works out of the box with Trisquel - it works out of the box everywhere. Which means no fiddling with dkms, or adding extra repositories to Debian.

As for particular hardware, I have a HP Stream 11 - a great little travel laptop. They ship with a broadcom wireless NIC, but you can replace it with any MiniPCI card in a few minutes.
>>
>>51570875
Not specifically linux but can someone tell me why cygwin keeps telling me 'You are not the owner of /tmp/uscreens/S-USERNAME' when I try to use screen. Tried reinstalling screen, didn't work.
>>
File: seek help.jpg (29 KB, 480x416) Image search: [Google]
seek help.jpg
29 KB, 480x416
>>51571967
>I am using Xubuntu and I would like to install KDE.
>>
>>51572055
You will if your manufacturer is a good one.
[spoiler]You won't unless you get a thinkpad.[/spoiler]
>>
>>51572094
probably because you are not the owner of /tmp/uscreens/S-USERNAME

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-use-chmod-and-chown-command/
>>
>>51572083
>h-node.org
Thanks anon
>>
>>51572113
I am though. It's perms 700 and I'm the owner. Tried resetting the owner to check but it didn't change anything.
>>
>>51572069
Bloat? You mean some necessary programs that come with KDE? Can't I just uninstall what I don't need?
>>51572096
why the hate? :(
>>
>>51572130
*unnecessary , sorry
>>
>>51572130
It's something of a joke. KDE is very "full featured" which means that it is by no possible measure a lightweight DE. A lot of people thus say that it's bloated because of that.
>>
>>51572130
Sorry, anon. My bad, Here's what you can do:
$ sudo apt-get install kde-desktop-full
$ sudo apt-get remove xubuntu-desktop --purge
And if something breaks, install ubuntu minimal and install a desktop environment and a display manager on top of it
>I am using Xubuntu and I would like to install KDE.
still keking btw
>>
>>51572180
sorry, $sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
>>
>>51572180
>Purge xfce
But why?
Why not have both?
>>
>>51572180
Thanks, will that install the latest KDE? Also I do not intend to abandon xfce.It is the fastest and most stable thing I've encountered.Its just that I can't unsee some shitty bugs in xfce and on top of that I have this fucking laptop with nvidia optimus shit tech. I also asked how to solve these shitty bugs for past week but I didn't get any answers so I figured I try the fanciest DE.
>>
>>51572189
Why $sudo and not $ sudo?
>>
>>51571777
Sadly, no, it isn't
>>
>>51572210
>RUNNING XFCE AND KDE AT THE SAME TIME
OH MY GOD L M A O
>>51572226
xfce is not the fastest DE. Furthermore it probably won't be as fast after you install KDE
>>51572228
whitespace will not matter; install kubuntu-desktop instead of kde-desktop-full
>>
>>51572246
How does KDE slows down xfce? Aren't they kind a separated?When one is working other is not.
>>
>>51572257
KDE services uses memory on the background, same as xfce.
>>
>>51572263
And they are running even if you log to xfce from display manager?
>>
>>51572285
Interesting
I would like to see the usage difference when someone opens up kate in an xfce session
>>
>>51572019
And who told you gentoo wiki should be your go-to thing?
>>
>>51572298
memes, obviously. Who else would say the installgentoo wiki is worth giving a shit?
>>
>>51572297
Its kind a bad and lame for DEs to see each other's software because you get all those double players,editors,image viewers...
>>
>>51572094
>>51572124
Help.
>>
>>51572314
And your DE becomes more resource hungry because of casual choice of softwares, which >>51572210 suggested
>>
>>51572246
Do you not understand the concept of DEs?

>OH MY GOD L M A O
why are you even posting here pretending you know what you're talking about

KDE doesnt run off XFCE, they're both independant DEs that will run one or the other, using x11 as the frame work assuming you start it with any login manager worth its salt, or xorg-xinit

literally the only effect is running KDE specific software while in XFCE, and that's just because it has to run off QT which is a trashy framework. You could easily install alternatives to use with XFCE and all youre going to notice is physical space problems.
>>
>>51572354
This.
Only difference is that you use more space (duh) since you installed additional stuff(doubleduh).
>>
>>51572354
>>RUNNING XFCE AND KDE AT THE SAME TIME
>Do you not understand the concept of DEs?
>You could easily install alternatives to use with XFCE and all youre going to notice is physical space problems.
>>
>>51572385
what do you mean "at the same time"? That is not possible f@m.
>>
>>51572385
Are you going to make an argument or just sit there greentexting and thinking you're cool. You're an idiot. The closest you can get to "at the same time" is KDEs software running while you're on XFCE, again which you can easily disable while you're not running KDE and switch flawlessly between either DE.
>>
>>51572394
It isn't, I should've said installed, which could avoided people getting confused like:
>>51572409
>>
>>51572436
prevent*
>>
I'm on mint. I downloaded an application and installed it. now it in my /home/thatappfolder/
The executable is in /home/thatappfolder/bin/. How do I make it so there's a shortcut to that in menu→applications, like it usually is after installing applications using software center?
>>
I have Windows 7, and in order to work on my programming classes at uni I have to install linux, as part of a dual boot. My professor recommends Kubuntu, but it seems like Mint would be a bit more lightweight. Day-to-day usability is not an issue for me: I'll be using Linux to write Python, and not to surf the web, write documents, game or anything like that - not yet, anyway.

What should I take into consideration when choosing between Mint and Kubuntu?
>>
>>51571453
>There is no alternative to windows file sharing
There are alternatives and even then, samba does exist for the win-keks who like their windows shit.
>>
>>51572557
I should note my experience with Linux so far is the command line only Scientific Linux we had on our supercomputer at my previous uni, and now RHEL on the machines where I am now.
>>
>>51572458
Using Cinnamon? https://askubuntu.com/questions/232053/how-to-add-a-shortcut-to-a-command-to-the-cinnamon-menu
>>51572557
mint with KDE.
>>
I have a raspberry pi and a wifi dongle. The wifi dongle seems to always overdraw power and cause the pi to die.

Is there a way for me to "underclock"/reduce the power consumption on the dongle? I can't use an external power source as I'm trying to make a ghetto tablet proof of concept
>>
>>51572633
Install tlp and enable WiFi power saving mode for both mains and battery power.
>>
>>51572606
Mint doesnt ship plasma KDE , they are still on the old fugly one
>>
>>51572655
this looks promising, thank you
>>
>>51572606
>mint with KDE.
Why, though?

It's the reasons behind a choice that I'm interested in, more than the choice itself.
>>
File: qV7QrQB.png (97 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
qV7QrQB.png
97 KB, 1366x768
Obligatory
>>
Should I keep using systemd or not? Why is it bad?
>>
Unable to locate package kde-plasma-desktop

What do? I wanted minimalist version of KDE like they told here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingKDE
>>
>>51572731
stfu manjaro shill
>>
>>51572707

>>51572731
B T F O
T
F
O
>>
What a glorious thread, thank you OP.
>>
File: 1447996833371.jpg (196 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1447996833371.jpg
196 KB, 900x675
>>51570960
>boot up manjaro live cd
>doesn't detect my existing windows
>no option to install alongside windows
>manual partition russian roulette

Into the trash it goes
>>
>>51572723
shitty b8
>>
File: manjaro_NIN.gif (704 KB, 387x475) Image search: [Google]
manjaro_NIN.gif
704 KB, 387x475
Why not
>>
>>51572732
>minimal KDE
haha

locate the name of the correct package then. Use your package manager to search instead of install.
>>
>>51572732
g-guys? Abantu lied to me , how do I install it?
>>
>>51571967
>I am using the only usable DE on Linux
>Can I ruin my life and install raw hot pile of shit called KDE?
>>
>>51572998
>minimal KDE
>haha
yea i know...

Its not in there. I thought correct package is kde-plasma-desktop. Do I need to add some ppa?
>>
>>51573013
you are not helping ,your opinion isn't worth shit
>>
>>51573003
looks like there's tons of plasma stuff
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=plasma&searchon=names&suite=wily&section=all
>>
>>51573018
kubuntu-desktop
plasma-desktop

Again, use your search function.
>>
File: JUST.jpg (19 KB, 217x320) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
19 KB, 217x320
>>51573037
KDE is the worst DE among all. Takes 120-150 seconds to boot and load the desktop. Plasma 5 is so prone to glitches, it dies on you if you look at it funny. The DE is so insecure about my intentions, it breaks down into tears and starts asking me about what I have done for it lately and then proceeds to lock me out of my own account so I have to sleep on the CLI couch for the night and wait till my Windows installation is prepared to replace it.
>>
>manjaro
>being creative in logo
pick one
https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=21.0
>>
>>51573065
Thanks. Do you perhaps know what is the difference between those two? plasma-desktop comes with less software?
>>
>>51573106
Kubuntu is KDE Plasma desktop + Ubuntu core.

Plasma 5 is the new "hip" name given to their failed abortion. Use XFCE + Compton/Compiz compositor and you will thank me later. It is the best thing available on Leenucks.
>>
>>51573106
Click on 'wily' under the package name and it tells you all about the packages, see what the differences are:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=plasma&searchon=names&suite=wily&section=all
>>
>>51573080
Did KDE rape your dog or something?
>>
>>51573100
https://a.pomf.cat/pavgtc.webm

lmao
>>
>>51573348
That's already been posted son
>>
>>51573381
oh sorry, just saw that lol
>>
>>51573348
>using deluge for torrents
disgusting.
>>
>>51573393
Name one problem.
>>
>>51573402
manjaro tier
>>
>>51573133
Does Xubuntu already has Compton/Compiz?
>>
>>51573414
I said name a problem with deluge, guy, not meme.
>>
>>51573424
My name is not Guy.
>>
File: 1438173123719.png (3 KB, 493x402) Image search: [Google]
1438173123719.png
3 KB, 493x402
I have a Windows 8.1 VM in virt-manager using QEMU/KVM. My host is Fedora 23.

I want the VM to be able to access my home network, specifically my fileserver. What do I need to do? What are some good guides on networking?
>>
>>51574319
Virtual switch? Give your VM another network adapter and share your home network to it?
>>
Hey guys I'm looking for a way to create a seamless good looking bootup. Any way how to do it with plymouth,grub2 and lightdm? I found a pretty good grub2 theme(vimix) but thats it. Basically I just want one smooth animation.
>>
If I set up my own DNS server, should I redirect all my browsers through it? Should I set it up in a docker container or a chroot?

I mainly want to use dnssec/dnscrypt
>>
>>51574934
wouldn't you set it in your network config rather than the browsers?
>>
>>51575004
I don't think he knows what DNS is
>>
Hi guys, I'm the noob from >>51568418

Right now i'm installing debian testing on a VM bc I'm a faggot. I'll try to install Steam and if it goes well I'll do it in my laptop.
>>
Why should I use Linux if I want to play games on my PC
>>
>>51575291
wtf sources did you add?
>>
>>51575337
I don't think that's a reason to use linux, or really any OS imo.
>>
>>51575338

>>51563150
>>
>>51575337
Play on a console, problem solved
>>
>>51575363
It's a reason to use Windows
>>51575393
PC is much better though
>>
>>51575387
idk what all it would have uninstalled, or why, probably better to restart from scratch since it was only a VM anyway.
https://wiki.debian.org/Steam
Seems like they should have steam in their repos, so you can add from apt-get, then steam will probably want to update.
>>
>have a vm
>try to copy it to a bigger container
>dd if=/dev/sdaX of=/dev/sdbX where sdaX are old partitions and sdbX are new, bigger partitions
>try to boot from second container
>error: no bootable medium found
Did I forget about something? How do I make it work?
>>
So I installed i3 on Ubuntu, but I'm on a 4k monitor and all of my fonts and windows look way way too small. Any suggestions for fixing this? Chrome I think I fixed by passing a command line argument to force display scaling, and the i3 config file has a font for window titles, but I wanted to fix this on a global level so I didn't have to fuck with config files for every program I install.
>>
>>51575886
Neither i3 or gtk2 or gtk3 support scaling by itself.
If you have a 4k monitor, gnome3, unity (and probably kde i don't know) are your only options.

But if you're desperate for i3, just change fontsize in i3, terminal and gtk2/3 settings and it should be okay
>>
File: wut.jpg (50 KB, 632x286) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
50 KB, 632x286
>>51575414
the installation that got killed was on my laptop, not a VM. Still going to re-install tho.

I finished the Debian Testing VM install, and now when I type "aptitude install steam" it tells me "package steam not found"

sources.list looks like pic realted.

What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>51575337
you shouldnt

whoever told you you should, was incorrect
>>
>>51576083
Why the fuck would you use jessie non-free repo?
>>
>>51576239
because I don't know what to use. Do you? I'm a bit confused.
>>
File: 1446211493161.jpg (80 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
1446211493161.jpg
80 KB, 600x900
Fedora 23 has gtk2 filepicker iconview patch included right out of the box.
How does it make you feel /flt/?
>>
>>51576257
Change the jessie into stretch, and do
"apt update"

Then try to install Steam again.
>>
>>51576282
Absolutely no different than I did before I read your comment.
>>
>>51576282
RPM is shit.
>>
>>51576282
Good job firefox will be moving to gtk3 in the next version then.
>>
>>51576282
i feel completly the same desu
>>
>>51576426
Literally the best package manager on the market.

>>51576446
Just use the gtk2 version 2bh
>>
What's the best hardware to run with GNU/Linux. I was thinking of getting a Thinkpad
>>
>>51576464
>implying there will be a gtk2 version
>>
How can I edit an initramfs image? I have been trying to but with issues.

>steps
>decompress image
lsinitcpio -x initramfs.img
>Do edits
<tinker tinker tinker>
>Recompress
???

help appreciated
>>
>>51576515
Why do people do this?

>I'm getting errors
>it just doesn't work
>it's saying something about...
>I have issues
>>
>>51576403
Working. It asked me to update udev bc it was needed, I said yes.

Let's see what happens. Thank you.
>>
My sound randomly stopped working today, I am running Bunsenlabs on my x200t. I reinstalled alsa and pulse-audio but no changes. What should I do ?
>>
>>51576573
>>51576544
>>
>>51576573
Let me guess, it stopped working when you Firefox?
>>
>>51576544
Because it is fun.

In either case to further elaborate (if you can help), the issues that I am reffering to are mostly kernel panics.

I basically just would like to hear if anyone has a means of creating initramfs. What I have is a directory that is the result of decompressing an initramfs. I tinker slightly, but I am unsure of how to recompress it.

Any advice?
>>
File: 1418426277321.jpg (87 KB, 640x669) Image search: [Google]
1418426277321.jpg
87 KB, 640x669
What's best free AutoCAD alternative for Linux?
>>
Pacman is the best package manager. Simple and elegant.

pacman -Syu is better than both dnf update - dnf upgrade and apt update - apt upgrade.
>>
>>51576628
ok thanks cool story
>>
>>51576628
Por quois?
>>
>>51576607
I am sorry Raj, could you repeat that?
>>
>>51576674
क्या? मैं कुछ भी नहीं कहा। और मेरा नाम संदीप है, न राज है।
>>
>>51576628
Don't you have some xorg.conf to fix?
>>
>>51576723
Real men don't use GUI. They're for babies and feminists.
>>
>>51576723
>xorg.conf
wtf? Nobody uses that anymore.
>>
>>51576697
By any chance, are you from Madhya Pradesh?
>>
>>51576770
How would I know when I'm not using arch thus never being forced to even look at x's conf files?
>>
>>51576788
I've heard he's in Ur Momesh
>>
>>51576697
Alright Sandeep, take a chai and calm down.
>>
I'm confused, so let's say I want to install openbox, why does it give me errors when I unistall LXDE? Isn't Openbox independent of it, or do I need something like Gnome, LXDE, XFCE, etc. installed?

I tried doing the same with i3, and same result.
>>
>>51576836
>Why does it give me errors?
What errors?
>>
Looking for gparted (or similar free software) for windows, any recommendations? closest thing i got so far is 'gpt fdisk'.
>>
>I get errors, what could it possibly mean
>>
Are sites like twitch.tv, and hulu supposed to lag on FF using a thinkpad x301?

I've tried reducing the resources by installed everything minimal (amazing+xfce) and it still lags a bunch.
>>
>>51576857
gparted live cd
>>
>>51576875
Use livestreamer.
>>
>>51576847
For instance, when I uninstall openbox LXDE in Lubuntu stops working and stays static, and shortcuts wouldn't work.
With openbox, it wouldn't open anything, same with i3.
>>
>>51576896
It didn't give you any logs or something?
>>
>>51576628
ye

aptitude is trashy
>>
>>51576926
No, it just freezes at login. I have to force restart.
>>
If I have my emacs window split into two buffers, is there a default command to swap the cursor between them?
>>
>>51576836
LXDE uses Openbox IIRC.
>>
>>51576896
Im fairly sure LDXE is dependant on openbox because it uses it as a WM. If you are switching between DEs/WMs, I strongly suggest getting rid of your display manager and using xorg-xinit instead, use the xinitrc file arch wiki provides and boot your stuff with "startx ~/.xinitrc Openbox". For ease of use you can set an alias startx ~/.xinitrc to something like SX, and use the defaults so it's as simple as typing SX or SX openbox
>>
>>51576954
Use vim.
>>
>>51576954
C-x o
>>
>>51576628
>dnf update - dnf upgrade
They both do the same thing, unlike apt
5/10 you tried
>>
Does anyone know if you can get system activity from kde4 onto plasma5?
>>
I couldn't figure out how to get the font rendering like in Windows so followed your advice and went back to Windows.

My computer just works now, thanks.
>>
File: fag.jpg (38 KB, 580x346) Image search: [Google]
fag.jpg
38 KB, 580x346
>>51577010
>>
>>51577010
For future reference, you install the chrome ttf fonts package and lxappearance, set lxappearance to use Open Sans (install that too), and use this in /etc/fonts/local.conf

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Croscore_Fonts

simple stuff, cmon now anon
>>
>>51577056
>not using infinality
>m-muh placebo
>m-muh not updating
no anon, infinality is regularly updated.

-bohoomil
>>
So how do I know when I'm ready to move on to a more complex distro? I've been using Mint for 3 months now, I can install things through the terminal and take screenshots.
>>
>>51577082
Why use infinality when you can just do that though. Like it's a giant, slightly buggy replacement that gives you little option and is completely deprecated by the normal fontconfig.

Like, why install a giant fucking package to acheive the same effect as copy pasting a few text files? You're still going to need those fonts if you want windows like rendering either way lol
>>
>>51577010
>font rendering like in Windows
But Windows has the ugliest font rendering on the market, so what the fuck are you on about?

Font rendering quality goes like
Ubuntu's font rendering > OS X font rendering > Linux with infinality and all those dumbass tweaks > stock Linux font rendering > Windows cleartype > windows w/o cleartype
>>
>>51577056
>no hintstyle
>no antialiasing
>>
>>51577094
>more complex distro
And what's that?
>>
>>51577103
The font rendering in Windows looks so crisp and clean, when I ran Ubuntu everything looked blurry.
>>
>yfw love debian
>yfw can't install it because theres no non-free firmware disk
>>
>>51577133
Better get your eyes checked m80
>>
>>51577105
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_configuration#Anti-aliasing

>>51577094
When you feel limited by your current install and you think a different distro would fix that.

>>51577133
Font rendering in windows is disgusting.
>>
>>51577146
No anon, previous link.
>>
File: cleartype.png (9 KB, 545x92) Image search: [Google]
cleartype.png
9 KB, 545x92
>>51577133
>crisp and clean
You meant, disgusting?
>>
>>51577187
lmao
>>
>>51577135
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
>>
>>51577202
xD
>>
>>51577208
why are you shitposting

do you actually think that looks good
>>
File: 1391922940980.jpg (63 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1391922940980.jpg
63 KB, 480x640
Newcomer here.
I want to dual boot Windows 10 and either Ubuntu or Debian, but set it up so that it boots directly into 10 unless I mash F12 or whatever during powerup and specifically choose Linux. (Only PC in the house, multiple users and all of them are tech-illiterate, so no messing with boot choices or grub for them, please).

Also running UEFI instead of BIOS, heard that makes things more difficult. How can I achieve this?
>>
>>51577235
the grub loader doesnt work with windows 8.1 or 10
>>
File: ubuntu-font.png (64 KB, 492x410) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-font.png
64 KB, 492x410
>>51577187
>>
>>51577263
That font annoys me, dejavu sans master race
>>
>>51577255
Oh, is that so? I had a short experience with it back when I was using 7. But you got the gist of what I gotta do, right? Can't let them accidentally boot into Linux.
>>
>>51577235
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z2O1PUuRGE

Is richard stallman a Mexican?
>>
>>51577235
Debian 8 has uefi suport, windows has this secure boot thing so it will boot windows every time and ignore everything else unless you press f12 just like you said
>>
>>51577263
What? That looks clean and beautiful compared to your "crisp and clean" piece of shit.
>>
>>51577312
So I can simply make an unallocated partition, install Jessie or Stretch and it just works™?
>>
>>51577082
No, infinality is maintained, meaning it is kept from being broken by updates. Fontconfig-ultimate is regularly updated, this isn't the same thing as infinality.

The default rendering in linux is very good now, mainly because the majority of fixes infinality made were merged upstream. A set of good fonts with a sensible config is all that's needed.
>>
>>51576545
>>51575291
Installed! Thanks. Also, I fixed flash player issue. Now all I need is to be able to see/edit a folder in my windows desktop from my debian laptop. I'd appreciate help there.

Now I'm off to install debian testing on my laptop.

Cheers
>>
>>51577422
>Also, I fixed flash player issue
You mean you uninstalled it?
>>
Hey all, I just installed Ubuntu 14.04 64bit on my somewhat older machine and am noticing that it's a tad bit laggy. Is this normal?

Specs are:
Core2duo 6600 @2.4
6gb ram
GeForce GT 720 (I'm running dual monitors, one in DVI the other VGA as its an older CRT monitor -- could this be my issue? Would installing new/different drivers help?)
I'm not sure what other specs to post

Is it because of it being 64 bit? I'd like to switch back to linux as my main OS since I started having problems w/ windows 7. My processor is "supposedly" compatible with 64bit operating systems, but I'm noticing lag with simple tasks such as web-browsing freezing up.

Any recommendations as to what I should do? I'm not against installing another distro, seeing as how I just installed this one last night.

Also, this might be unrelated/come off as stupid - but what's the difference between Nvidia's linux drivers and these 'nouveau' nvidia drivers?

>>
>>51577422
How did you fix the flash player issue?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.