[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that Wangblows and iOS for Laptop/Desktop (formerly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: anotherday.jpg (42 KB, 621x640) Image search: [Google]
anotherday.jpg
42 KB, 621x640
Why is it that Wangblows and iOS for Laptop/Desktop (formerly OSX) seem to just work compared to Linux distros?
>>
>>51570649
Ubuntu just werks too desu senpai
>>
>>51570649
funny picture xD xD
>>
linux does work, but not as you would expect. its different, learn it or leave it
>>
>>51570649
Linux works much easier if you have to do something like *gasp* manage HDD storage with RAID5->6 migrations or something simple like that.
>>
>>51570649
GNU/Linux does justwerk

You can't get in a manual car and call it shit because it doesn't automatically change gears for you.
>>
Ubuntu just works. My pc connected to my TV has been running Ubuntu for the last 7 years and I've never had any problems with it.
>>
>>51571072
Never had an error pop up or WM stutter?
>>
>unbuntu
>>
>>51570649
If you use a shitty distro like Fedora or Ubuntu you'll get trouble.
It's a shame they are often the most recommended.

Even arch is more stable than Ubuntu, and that's fucking saying something.
>>
>>51570649
Because you have developers working on 1000 distros instead of making ONE that just werks. Can you design a logo? If yes then you can create a distro. Make a forum and get paid to watch zombies try to fix the bugs you "accidentally" missed.
>>
>>51570649
Because Linux distros does not only work. They ure usefull to.
>>
yes, linux "just works" too, but you are all so autistic you cant see the obvious:

normie installs linux, friends sends him some program, wtf this *.exe doesnt work linux is shit! thats the whole story here.
>>
>>51571226
Uh yeah m8, I turned on an old desktop I haven't used for 4-5 months with basically just mpv and mpd server on top of arch. Ran updates and on reboot everything fucking failed, even X had issues.
>>
>Install Windows 7 on a second HDD, because I need it for a project
>Sounds not working, ethernet not working, GPU drivers fucked up
>Have to install everything manually, need a second computer to download ethernet drivers

>2 weeks later, reinstalling Arch, because of my fuckup
>Everything works out of the box

>"just werks"
>>
>>51571096

Never. Updated the version of Ubuntu several times and never had issues. I use the browser and video players every day.
>>
If you have ever installed Windows and/or built a machine from scratch for someone else, you will understand that Windows does not "just work".

>needing 3rd-party drivers to have a working system or ethernet
yeah okay kid
>>
For laptops it's built with windows in it
Installing Linux has a chance to actually break your hardware without even changing something at the system level. Always make sure to be in the warranty window when installing Linux distros on a laptop
>>
>>51572160
It doesn't really matter if it was 3rd party if it was already there though
>>
Great autism post, you fucking cunt. Die in your mother's arms on Christmas morning.

Same 20 posts, over and over. Rinse, repeat.
>>
>>51571226
Whatchoo recommend?
>>
>Ub*ntu
>just werks
>>
The big reason is that Linux distros have went way too far down the road of advanced dependency management, while most other platforms know that just statically linking everything past the basic shit into the app is far more stable.

Basically, windows learned the lessons of DLL hell, while Linux went full speed the wrong direction.
>>
>>51570649
Lack of customization.

The more major Linux distros just werk too, if you don't fuck with them. Normies who use Mac and Windows are used to just leaving them alone and accepting the UI the way it is, so they don't risk breaking them.

We use Linux for the customization, which is fine. Just realize when you play with the packages and window managers and such, you are perfecting your UI at the risk of breaking something. Mac and Windows just don't let you do that.
>>
>>51574436
Fucking this.

I'm a Linux user for reasons like foss software, Enlightenment wm, and less bloat, but I fucking hate the way it handles dependencies. I'd much rather have all my programs be gigabytes in size and include all they need than have to tangle with dependencies every time I want to install something.

This is 2015, storage space is cheap. Portability > compact files. You should be able to download every program for your OS straight to a USB stick with no dependencies, and run it flawlessly on any other machine of that OS.
>>
My Debian stable just werks to be honest family.
>>
>>51570885
not really
>>
>>51571387
The issue here is if a piece of hardware isn't immediately working in Windows all you usually have to do is google "XXXXXX driver" and then click next a few times.

In Linux if something doesn't immediately work you're going to have to go to the community for help. Good luck with that.
>>
Works on my machine™ tho.
>>
>Mint, *buntus, Debian Stable
All of those are Just Werks™

You could start your thread with
>is 30 minutes stable when it comes to Arch?
instead.
>>
>>51571387
Yeah actual one size fits all drivers being integrated into the kernel is fantastic. Literally boot to an arch live CD and if your internet works in chroot youre set. If not, it's likely your hardware is just straight up incompatible, no messing around to do.

My laptops wifi drivers refuse to work on any OSX 'distro', or any windows version but 8.1. Works ootb on linux though, feels cozy
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.