[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OLPC XO laptop thread go
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 13
File: orgpic2.jpg (245 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
orgpic2.jpg
245 KB, 1600x1200
I just got my XO-1.5 and it's pretty bitchin.

Anybody else still use one of these?
>>
It's not nearly as pozzed as I thought it was anyway. Wifi works great and I have fldigi for ham radio.
>>
>african children have no running water or any food
>LET'S GIVE THEM LAPTOPS!!! YEAH!
>wine and dine their politcians to waste their money on laptops for students
>teaching materials are confusing, teachers have no clue how to use the new systems
>students break their laptops almost immediately
>the rest get stolen
>they turn their rich white people toys into bombs
and so ends yet another instance of white people feeling good about making africa an even shittier place to live
>>
Yeah but dude laptops for the brown children and shit.

Mine was $8 plus a couple bucks shipping. It works great. Keyboard sucks ass though, kind of a shame but no huge deal.

Sugar, the official GUI of brown poor children worldwide, is not that great. Thankfully they give you a skeletal Gnome install and you have yum which makes everything very easy.

I am going to reflash the OS onto it again after I upgrade the internal sd card or microsd or whatever the hell it is.

Run time on the old battery is about 3 hours, which is OK. It can run / charge directly off a 12v car battery too which is really nice.

Still a pretty gay idea to start with I will agree, but the thing itself is pretty nice. I have wine on it now, as well.
>>
>>52880817
how dare you i'll have you know that technology will save these helpless young individuals. providing them with laptops is only the first step to saving these vulnerable children. the next step is putting boots on the ground to teach these precious youths how to program. if we can teach these kids how to write code, we'll be teaching them how to write the future. it's our duty to foster the steve jobs and mark zuckerburgs of the next generation and save a dark content while doing so. together we can do this!
>>
>>52880817
This screams 'I have no idea what I'm talking about'
Not every kid in Africa is starving and technology is very good tool to promote development. The whole brake them or turn them into bombs thing is ludicrous and I'm sure they get locked up to prevent theft as any fucking school does.
>>
>>52880666
I look at this image and see hopeless befuddled faces. Do they even wear fucking shoes? You can see in their eyes that they're not quite there and may never really be (as I get to see here in the states).
>>
File: Galadima0.jpg (58 KB, 800x296) Image search: [Google]
Galadima0.jpg
58 KB, 800x296
We computer now.
>>
File: One-Laptop-Per-Child-rwanda.jpg (94 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
One-Laptop-Per-Child-rwanda.jpg
94 KB, 1024x768
I'm a little surprised at the quality of the 'pixel qi' screen, with the backlight off it's as crisp as a Kindle or better, and it's pretty good as a color screen.

Nice amount of brightness levels anyway.

Also it's x86 linux and has a whopping gigabyte of ram. I wonder if it'd take a 2gb stick?

Does anybody know? I computah now.
>>
>>52880968
>school is dirty shit
>floor is solid concrete
>can't afford desks for each student
>students share benches
>no power outlets anywhere to be found
>classroom is small and overpopulated
>no windows, just wooden boards
>>
>>52881577
It still a third world country mate not Harvard.
This doesn't mean its some kind of lawless free for all hell on earth. Go do some traveling.
>>
>>52881112
You're just a dumb racist m8
>>
>>52880666
No I don't have one Mr. Satan
>>
File: lmaoingaturlife.png (189 KB, 450x472) Image search: [Google]
lmaoingaturlife.png
189 KB, 450x472
>>52880817
>what is freelancing
>what is learning something tech related to get that western money
>>
>>52881798
right because there isn't already an overabundance of "freelancers" whose skillset includes a poor understanding of python and experience with gmail
>>
>>52881833
well, they'll be able to do nigger scams now, hope for the african children!
>>
>>52881798
now if only they could teach them something relevant to the immediate issues they have at home. africa is rich in resources yet they still struggle to use them. the fact is this group never evolved past a primitive life style. they never created a written language, never invented advanced technology, never explored the earth. they should have just been left alone to live their lives as they had done for countless millennium previously. whites have done the earth a huge disservice by feeding and growing the african population to this point. should have let nature sort it out. if they can't get it together on their own they will always be dependent on the welfare of others.
>>
>>52881890
>the fact is this group never evolved past a primitive life style. they never created a written language, never invented advanced technology, never explored the earth

i mean i'm not going to go all WE WUZ KINGS or anything but, um
>>
>>52880666

Imagine the stench
>>
>>52881936
are you asking for evidence?

look at any place on earth controlled by a black majority. there are many instances you can look at. ex. haiti. used to be huge in terms of exports. a super rich colony that produced world renown goods. then the whites population basically gave it up to the blacks without a fight and look at it now. it's a total wreck. they eat dirt cookies and rely on foreign handouts to get by when they're not trying to sneak into the dominican republic to get away from their mess.

another example is zimbabwe, formerly rhodesia. they had much the same situation as haiti (were a source of great exports and a stable, successful country). once again the whites handed it over to the blacks and now the place is a total mess. south africa is following in its footsteps.

if you want more examples, look at any firth world nation and dig up the stats for the cities with a black majority. they always have major issues with crime and poor economic performance. it's not some great conspiracy, if it weren't for the rest of the country propping up places like detroit, chicago, they would be indistinguishable from places like haiti and zimbabwe.

i truly wish it weren't like this but all the evidence is out there and points to the people of african descent just never having gone through the selective processes which leads a group to be capable of advanced civilization. same is true for aboriginal australians and the people from papua new guinea.
>>
>>52882056
when using colonization of africa as the starting point of historical context, sure, one could be led to believe africa languished and has never amounted to anything, but that's completely ignoring the region's pre-colonial history and only looking at africa through a frame of colonial supremacy. it shouldn't be any surprise at all that africa wound up the way it did. colonization completely and fundamentally broke the natural order of the region by carving up sections of land diving and joining different groups of people with destructive result. the same thing happened in the middle east and look at how great that wound up as a result. colonization destroys the natural order that has built up over centuries between different groups of people and that isn't something you can ever fix after the fact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_kingdoms_in_pre-colonial_Africa

colonization of africa had an enormously disastrous effect
>>
>>52881577
Thats exactly why they need those laptops for
You're underestimating the power of internet.

>Kid googles how to grow crops better
>his fathers farm yield goes up 500%
>kid googles how to make nutritious food
>mother makes 10x more nutritious food from scraps
>googles how to treat animal bites
>neighbor kid doesn't die because of hyena bite
>>
>>52882056
Jesus, it's like you're reading a book skipping every second page.
>>
>>52882383
>Kid googles how to grow crops better

99% of the results you'll get won't be usable to an african with no real resources, no access to investors, and little to no access to the technologies shown in the results since most farming information is only going to be relevant to highly industrialized nations. little johnny africa isn't going to get anything remotely useful out of information about the newest expensive macro agriculture techniques and machinery. the machinery and technology isn't there at all and neither are the resources or investment opportunities necessary to acquire them. this is ignoring the fact that much of usable african farmland is owned by europeans and not usable at all by the people who actually have to live and attempt to succeed there
>>
>>52882243
i seriously doubt colonialism can account for black performance world wide. there are many places on earth that have been devastated and yet have returned to a thriving civilized society. just in the recent past we've seen vast areas of europe burned to the ground several times and japan became the only country to ever be nuked, twice. yet if you look at them today they are getting along just fine.

in that same timespan you've had thriving white controlled countries handed to black populations and they've all slipped into dysfunction. it's a return to the norm. it was in the europeans and japanese to be able to achieve and maintain a higher civilization and after it was torn down it was rebuilt. it was not in the african to achieve and maintain a higher civilization, thus they were given civilizations and they returned to sub-saharan standards.
>>
>>52882550
Are you fucking kidding me ? Ignore my "every second page" post, you clearly have no clue about history, in any era.
Stick to shitposting on /bst/.
>>
>>52882576
i'm open to valid criticism but you haven't backed up your claims with anything. you've barely even made claims.
>>
File: 7LFbi7a_2_.jpg (874 KB, 4128x3096) Image search: [Google]
7LFbi7a_2_.jpg
874 KB, 4128x3096
>>52880666
>666
>256MB ram is all you'll need
>forcing dirt poor sub saharan africans to use linux
pure evil
>>
>>52882613
It'll take awhile to go through post-colonial African, European and recent Japanese history, you idiot. History isn't summed up in a 20 words post if you want to be correct which is why you're clearly retarded.
Go read a book, watch a documentary or take a course instead of spouting stupid shit.
>>
>>52882688
its been made clear that it's genetic. there is no excuse for blacks born in america or other first world countries to perform subpar. if the same things are happening the world over and the common link is a genetic population, that is the contributing factor. learn some biology. the history is only supporting evidence.
>>
>>52882770
>its been made clear that it's genetic. there is no excuse for blacks born in america or other first world countries to perform subpar. if the same things are happening the world over and the common link is a genetic population, that is the contributing factor. learn some biology. the history is only supporting evidence.

ah and here we have it

>>>/pol/
>>
hi im 12yr old nigerian prince I will make photoshop work in linux but only if yuo help me funds my ticket to america
>>
>>52882613
You really need to read kid.

Understand the effect of colonization and racial tensions.

Wealthy western nations colonized, strip the land of Power and resources in turn imposing their own economic system and politics, which benifit their own people while making natives subservient

Then when they realize it isn't working they pull out quickly, while still leaving the area economically bound and devoid of the social systems it was now dependent on.
Hati is a great example of this.
So is India
And Africa
And the Philippines
>>
>>52882770
2 black people from different African tribes are as genetically different as say an American Caucasian and a Chinese person.
This was proven by mapping genomes.

Soooo. I don't know why you think you can play anthropologist and come up with your own assertions, who are you Richard Dawkins or somethin?
>>
>>52882770
If anything genetic anthropology completely disproves everything you are saying it proves.
>>
>>52880817
kek my high school books used to cost more than that laptop every year
>>
>>52884131
slavery on a large scale was only possible thanks to the corrupted tribe leaders who literally sold their own men
>>
Blacks have lower IQs on average then any other race, your mental gymnastics are going to change the facts, get over it PC Bros
>>
The white man has this unfortunate tendency to share his wealth and technology with shitskins which will use against them
>>
>>52881577
Someone has never been outside of their backyard I see.
>>
>>52886109
>sold their own men

Wrong, they sold their surplus slaves captured from tribal wars
>>
>>52884131
WE WUZ KANGZ AND GODZ AND SHIET
THEN DA WHITE DEVIL STOLE FROM US
NEED MO MONEY FO DEM PROGRAMZ
>>
File: 2016-02-09_19-58-39.png (65 KB, 147x232) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-09_19-58-39.png
65 KB, 147x232
>>52881577
>>
File: a002640_slate.jpg (206 KB, 720x528) Image search: [Google]
a002640_slate.jpg
206 KB, 720x528
>>52882635
Is the Steam controller any good?
>>
File: hiroshima-detroit.jpg (61 KB, 590x407) Image search: [Google]
hiroshima-detroit.jpg
61 KB, 590x407
>>52882550
>>
>>52886711
Friendly reminder that 50% of detroit's adult population is functionally illiterate.
>>
>>52880868
>can run directly off of a car battery
kek
>>
File: 1386930975334.jpg (72 KB, 660x564) Image search: [Google]
1386930975334.jpg
72 KB, 660x564
>>52880817
<insert your country> education everyone
>>
>>52880666
isn't it cheaper just to give them all chinese android tablets now?
>>
>>52886182
IQ is pseudoscience, mate. Stop swallowing the jew propaganda that seeks to drive us non-davidians apart. White, black, asian, we all need to band together as brothers against the kikes. This needless racism against our dark bretheren is exactly what the jews want.
>>
>>52880666
>>52881446
>>52881469
I bet all those photos are taken by white upper middle class kids that volunteer to feel better, and on day 1 when laptops were delivered.

Two weeks down the road most are broken or sold for some voodoo herbs or something.
>>
>>52881577
I have a feeling that OLPC was one of the greatest scams ever pulled.

Still the hardware was produced, and it's really not bad. The thing is a rugged little SOB for sure.
>>
File: 286208010._CB192206885_.jpg (31 KB, 404x300) Image search: [Google]
286208010._CB192206885_.jpg
31 KB, 404x300
>>52881798
When the OLPC project was just getting off the ground I read a bit from one of the OLPC people, sadly this was many years ago and no link but it went something like this:

>The world needs free computers for the kids
>We can tell this is true because of computah experiment
>We set up an armored internet / computer kiosk in a poor village (I want to say in India but not sure)
>In a few days time the villagers had learned to use the internet by clicking on the icons we have on the screen and typing!
>Then they destroyed the kiosk but the proof was in, brown people con spontaneously learn to use the internet and maybe even do a little assembly language coding almost through osmotic action!

True story.
>>
>>52882498
>much of usable african farmland is owned by europeans and not usable at all by the people who actually have to live and attempt to succeed there

Yet in places like Zimbabwe where they chased the white farmers away and redistributed the land to blacks, an instant famine happened because they didn't know how to farm.

An OLPC with books like Fifty Shades Of Grey would have saved them.

Still I like the built in gamepad, just gotta figure out what keys it uses and then play some MAME.
>>
>>52888565
Why does this always happen?
>new technology is introduced to some village
>at first everything is going find and dandy. Technology is doing its job and people are learning
>then out of nowhere they tear it apart and sell the scraps for money
>>
>>52882635
Th XO-1 had only 256MB RAM but the 1.5 is a much more capable machine and apparently more reliable.

The OLPC project will not respond to requests for batteries for the older machines, no new batteries for the children.

I will probably find a few used-up battery packs online and open them up and replace the lithium cells myself. I want to find one of the NiMH packs because I am pretty sure it's just a bunch of AA batteries in there.

The one thing I will say, this laptop has far and away the best wifi range of any device I have ever owned. I'm collecting frames from places several miles away (intermittently), pretty awesome.

When your internet comes from the warlord's palace up on the hill wifi reception range is important.
>>
>>52888778
It kind of happened with the OLPC project ironically, too.

>let's make laptops for the kids, and because Linux it'll be FREE SOFTWARE so they can just fetch the source code for everything and create their own self-sustaining national networks and infrastructure because THEY HAVE THE SOURCE CODE!
>many dumb idealistic geeks give money outright, or buy into the buy one get one program which I believe cost you $500 and you got a laptop and "trust me goyim we'll deliver one to the children"
>Wired and New York Times and many media outlets simmering with hope that we can just shovel technology out of the back of C-130's flying in formation over all brown nations and it will sort of be a reverse carpet bombing, where instead of death and destruction they'll figure out everything
>test deployments go well in hand-picked locations like Bhutan where the cowed peasantry is so used to the brutal justice system that they wouldn't steal a crust of bread in lieu of death, or in some Latin American or African countries where they're just regular people who are ass poor
>claims are made of MILLIONS of XO-1's and XO-1.5's being produced and shipped overseas, everybody *highfive* and move on to much more lucrative things
>project still exists in skeletal form, just to sell an Android device for way more than it costs OLPC to dumbass schools mainly here in the USA who buy kids tablets, seems very profitable
>can't buy a replacement battery for the actual rugged laptops made for the kids

On the plus side there was a firmware and OS update mainly focusing on the Gnome environment and Fedora side in November, even for my ancient unit, so I shouldn't complain too loudly.

Still probably among the geeky charities, and this is perhaps the most notable, it's also the most pozzed gay buttsex-induced anal gay cancer infected efforts ever. The fucked up thing is that while I can't rustle up any hard numbers on what kind of money they raised now, I remember it being at least 100e6
>>
>>52884131
>Understand the effect of colonization
America
>>
>>52880666
I've got a couple locked Uruguayan XO 1.0 since my parents worked both in education.

After they retired I tried to unlock them and even got a developer key for them, but the government are a bunch of jews and extremely locked them down making it impossible to change the software, violating the GPLv3 in the process.
>>
XO has a webcam.
>>
Here it is, 4chan appears to work.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.