[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So these things perform as advertised for like 30 minutes then
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: SSD.jpg (24 KB, 640x519) Image search: [Google]
SSD.jpg
24 KB, 640x519
So these things perform as advertised for like 30 minutes then the performance gradually dips to some shit level (and is temporarily raised again by TRIM) and never performs at its peak again.

Isn't it false advertising for them to advertise the top speeds?
>>
>>51569570
Bump
>>
>>51569505
>blaming samsung hardware for piss poor operating system performance. next time do a clean install and disable the page file rather than copying over your old corrupted os.
>>
>>51569505
Uninstall Windows. Install Linux.

That will almost certainly solve your issue here.
>>
>>51569750
>>51569762
Not an OS fault.
>>
>>51569796
Install and try it on a normally booted Linux with any common Linux filesystem. It will work fine.
>>
>>51569828
The performance will degrade over time. It's a characteristic of SSDs not just Samsung ones. This shit should be advertised. I fell for the meme.
>>
>>51569796
>>51569846
DELETE THIS
>>
>>51569846
It won't degrade after 30 minutes or whatever, and the degradation is quite low on Linux anyways, even more with TRIM.

You shouldn't actually notice much since it will *remain* faster -even when its "slower"- than OS and software and so on require to almost immediately present you with whatever you wanted to do...
>>
>>51569846
I have one of the shitty kingston drives. I bought it used and have owned it for over a year. It works perfectly fine for what it is, and you're are and idiot.
>>
>>51569875
http://www.howtogeek.com/165542/why-solid-state-drives-slow-down-as-you-fill-them-up/

200 fucking seconds to degrade
>>
>>51569888
>>51569846
>>51569505
My 850 EVO Pro has 153gb left and still is 10x faster than a HDD. Why the fuck would people care even if that were true?
>>
>>51569888
In rapetastic benchmark cases, sure.

Now note the 10'000 IOPS it retains. Guess how many you'll need to operate Linux without any particular delays?

Protip: Old HDD, on which it also doesn't feel THAT slow- had less than 100 IOPS.
>>
>>51569911
>>51569913
Doesn't matter. This should be made clear before purchase. I'm not getting what I paid for.
>>
>>51569913
Also, the other point here is that Linux will try NOT to act like a rapetastic benchmark case.

Unlike Windows, which -with its crap daemons and thumbnails and derivative data all over the place- very often actually kinda does. It's not all WIndows' own fault, but not too little is.
>>
>>51569926
Linux is still constantly flushing data to disk
>>
>>51569920
Well, sure, go sue Microsoft. You might halfway have a point in that they kinda fucked up.

Usually doesn't work, though.

The SSD vendor? Not even a chance in any country with a normal sane court system, I'd say. This is common knowledge and common behaviour on these devices.
>>
>>51569943
Nah. There's more to this, it has aggregate caches and what not in stages before flushing.

But in general it even *should* flush the data to disk, if it is scheduled to go on the disk. People have power outages and what not, eh.

The thing here will be that it flushes far less on average, certainly the OS and common native daemons and stuff.

Anyhow, you'll notice it works better with your SSD, there is no real point in discussing this theoretically.
>>
>>51570022
It's flushing multiple times per second. Your drive is fucking done after a short period of normal use.

>>51569993
>This is common knowledge and common behaviour on these devices.

No it's not.
>>
Got a 500gb EVA for $170 today. Pretty sweet. Loving it so far, Ableton Lie and AutoCAD can actually work right away.

But anyway, i also enabled this neat little app which enabled TRIM for third party SSDs on a Mac. Check it out. (Then download it elsewhere...)

https://www.cindori.org/software/trimenabler/
>>
>>51569881
>you're are and idiot
>>
>>51570505
Yeah you are :)
>>
>>51570405
I got a 480 sandisk ultra for 109.
>>
>>51569846
Oh yeah, I virtulise using samsungs 850 evo. Get this buddy, runs 5 systems all on a single ssd with zero lag.

I swear the $120 aud i spent on this is the best investment I have ever done.

However I brought a cheaper sandisk one and it seems to have a lag issues when a lot happens. So mate, where is the meme is is does create a positive performance impact?

I'd advise samsung ssds but since I am not rich I have not tried any other ssd or equal quality or better.

100days and still going strong.
It practical routers virtulized machines from ssd to storage on the raid.
>>
>>51570505
>falling for the grammar bait
lurk more, kid

you should post read / write benchmarks OP, if everything is good then it's your shitty OS and it's caching system.
>>
>>51569926
Linux runs a SSD better then windows. Not sure if it is how it manages disks but it handles disk at an extra 10 megabyte per second speed increase compared to windows.

"linux is the one for ma"
>>
>>51570744
Meaningless post
>>
>>51570032
>It's flushing multiple times per second. Your drive is fucking done after a short period of normal use.
*What* would it flush multiple times per second, please? If it needs to write data, it will do it fairly quickly and in sensible chunks (pretty well adapted to HDD or SSD depending on what it sees, usually, at least for most filesystems and/or block schedulers), sure.

Otherwise, nothing to flush, nothing will get flushed.
>>
>>51570984
Filesystem data

Damn dude take a class or something
>>
OP you have as they say "fallen for the SSD meme"

The next stage is realising your data is corrupt in a few months for no reason whatsoever
>>
>>51571373
I dont get it.

They are objectively superior to platters in every way save cost.
>>
>>51569911
>muh SSD works fine when I dont use it
>>
File: bait8.jpg (48 KB, 698x636) Image search: [Google]
bait8.jpg
48 KB, 698x636
>>51569846
>>
>>51570744
>cheaper sandisk one
Which one?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.