[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux Desktop Environment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: 7979970.png (475 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
7979970.png
475 KB, 1280x720
What are your favorites? What do you recommend and why?
>>
>>51565472

lxde.

It opens programs.
>>
Cinnamon
>up to date technology
>not bloated and retarded like KDE/gnome
>not woefully outdated
>simple desktop experience
>comfy
>>
>>51565519
this.
or xfce
>>
mate
>>
Gnome
>at the forefront of new tech such as Wayland
>best looking and most polished DE
>not bloated like KDE
>not ugly like Cinnamon
>not dead like Xfeces
>extension ecosystem
>intuitive and simple, no learning curve
>just werks
>>
>>51565472
By the way, why do people always post these ridiculously outdated and ugly screenshots of Gnome?
>>
File: 1444679811188.jpg (67 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1444679811188.jpg
67 KB, 540x960
People use DEs that aren't gnome? The fuck?
>>
I hated gnome3 until I tried it. Now I run gnome on top of arch and it's wonderful. Even my humanities major friends can use it with no problem
>>
Elementary OS/Pantheon

I don't understand why people hate on it, saying it's pretty but not usable. You can still install whatever you want as far as i've seen
>>
>>51566245
>>51566288
>>51566384
>>51566431
Did the Gnome team finally roll back the retarded removal of features they did on Nautilus? When they removed type ahead and dual panels over some bullshit reasons I just couldn't keep up with their shit anymore.
>>
Gnome.Every one of my installs gets Gnome and i3.
>>
File: 1443302122761.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1443302122761.gif
2 MB, 500x500
>Using a DE

I tried using DE's but they always feel so bloated to me. I'll stick with tiling window managers.
>>
>>51566491
Elementary OS is a newcomer and I don't see what they offer aside from a shitty pre-Yosemite OS X theme. And there was that drama concerning donations.

>>51566577
I don't know what you mean by type ahead, and as far as I can tell there are no dual panels. I don't understand what the point of dual panels are. Just open another window.

>>51566662
Gnome isn't very bloated and DEs are useful because they take care of a lot of tedious shit for you.
>>
>>51566577

No, they didn't. In fact, the copy dialog for nautilus is hidden in the latest fedora. I like gnome shell, but goddamn they need to stop removing features.
>>
>>51566697
Type ahead is selecting a file in the current directory by typing the first letters of its name when browsing files in a file browser/manager. Even Windows Explorer has this feature but Gnome devs changed it on Nautilus to perform a recursive search in the current folder. I don't remember the reasoning the head dev gave for this and other apps changes in that version but I do remember it was total bullshit.
>>
>>51566662
Good luck with your productivity
>>
The original
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.