[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My modem acts as a router, which I didn't realize. I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: C3700_Hero_Transparent.png (74 KB, 440x296) Image search: [Google]
C3700_Hero_Transparent.png
74 KB, 440x296
My modem acts as a router, which I didn't realize. I have it as my main network but I also have a router I bout running too but it's not being used. Is it possible for the router to slow up my speeds just by being connected?
>>
Yes but it has dedicated hardware for the task and will really only add somewhere in the realm of <1ms of latency.
>>
>>51565466
Is it possible to use my linksys as an extender with the ISP modem/router?
>>
>>51565550
Yeah you can use it, it will basically be a switch with its own network traffic rules
>>
>>51565550
Elaborate on what you're trying to do. Not sure what an "extender" is.
>>
>>51565737
My ISP gave me a modem/router combo which is my main unit. I'm wondering if I can use the linksys router I bought as a means of extending the signal. You know, set it up somewhere else in the house and improve the connection.
>>
>>51566254
Been wondering this too. I have an xfinity/comcast gateway combo modem and router, was hoping to use my old router as a sort of access point to extend range of wifi.
>>
>>51566254
>>51566293
http://lifehacker.com/5563196/turn-your-old-router-into-a-range-boosting-wi-fi-repeater
>>
Modem/router units are always ISP issued and shit. It's also terrible to deal with if it has to be down or worked on either in person or remotely. These things exist because they bridge the gap for grandmas who keep fucking calling the company because their laptop won't work, the ISP knows there is a legion of these type of people out there and no amount of "We are not responsible for your lan... etc" will not work cause americans will just terminate the service.

Put the ISP router in bridge mode. Then put your own router behind it. You will not lose more than 1ms of latency.
>>
I have a sbg6580 and i have it "rented" from twc. tempted to go back to the office and ask for a straight up modem since I ordered an asus router. i get so many packet drops with this piece of shit so i would never recommend modem.router combo
>>
>>51567069
I enjoy having to reboot my modem router combo every couple of days because it freezes.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.