[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi, /g/ I'm not a newfag to 4chan or the /g/ board, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_nt9uagOmIk1uyf67mo2_400.gif (1024 KB, 260x360) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nt9uagOmIk1uyf67mo2_400.gif
1024 KB, 260x360
Hi, /g/

I'm not a newfag to 4chan or the /g/ board, but I honestly don't know much about Linux.

I know how to do basic things on Windows, but I don't know a lot more than that. I saw friend who uses console commands on Windows. Idk how to do that, just to give you a scope of how shit-tier I am with computers. I love them,though.

I know Zero code. I'm not sure if I need to know that so I can use Linux.

Basically, I have these questions:
>what is Linux?
>Why are there so many different versions?
>Can I customize to get my own version of Linux?
>Do I need to know any language of code?
>what makes Linux better than Windows or OS X?

Thank you in advance.
-caveman OP
>>
You dont need to know code to use linux but if you dont know code there is literally no reason to use linux
>>
>what is Linux?
Linux is the kernel for the GNU/Linux operating system
GNU/Linux is free (as in freedom) software, granting you the rights to use, distribute, and modify the software freely. Therefore, many people have modified and distributed their own versions, known as distributions, of GNU/Linux.
>Can I customize to get my own version?
Yes you can make your own distribution, but not as a beginner. Although whichever one you choose you'll be able to customize it to your liking much more thoroughly than any proprietary operating system.
Not at all, though you should learn to use the command line for some things, which generally uses Bash. This doesn't mean you need to learn how to write programs in Bash, just one-liner shell commands for the most part.
>What makes it better than Windows/OS X?
It doesn't trample your freedom, and it's flexible and scalable which is why it runs on the smallest computers and the largest supercomputers, while Windows and OS X are stuck in the desktop/laptop market simply because of their beginner-friendliness, not their power or flexibility.
>>
>>51564627
Wow, thanks!

Another question,

>where can I start learning how to use the Linux software?

What I mean in this question is, are there any websites or programs that can teach me the basics of Linux? And how about a place where I can learn the main Languages that Linux uses for, like you said for example, use the command line?
>>
>>51564988
http://linuxcommand.org/

click "The Book" link and download the entire book in PDF format, at no cost.
>>
>>51565013
Thanks!
>>
>>51564988
read man pages and look up programs in the arch wiki. It's a good source even if you don't use arch.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
>>
>what is Linux?
It's a kernel.
There aren't. There are several distros that are built on top of the kernel, developed by other people who think they're special.
>Can I customize to get my own version of Linux?
What? What do you mean by customization? What do you consider customization? There's a fuckton more customization to be done with Linux than Windows or OS X in virtually every definition of the term.
Uh... do you consider bash a "language of code?" You'll never have to touch it, but you should know it anyway.
>what makes Linux better than Windows or OS X?
It isn't made by Microsoft and it isn't made by Apple. Windows 10 is a malware-riddled abortion of flat design and insultingly blatant, obtrusive spying practices while Apple products have overpriced RAM soldered in with factory-sealed cases and their software (Final Cut, Pages, iTunes, etc.) has been in freefall since 2012.

Good luck!
>>
>>51564988
Install Linux mint
>>
>>51564562

There is a Friendly Linux Thread /flt/ that is well-developed and is on something like number 30 or 40 now here on /g/. You should spend time hanging out in that thread, and use the archive to look up the ones that have come before. there is an enormous amount of high-value content on those threads.

But, since you aren't a newfag @/g/ or anything, you already know all that.

So, sorry to have wasted your time.
>>
>>51566026
The only reason I haven't been on the friendly Linux threads is because I didn't understand hack shit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but I guess I should check them out.
>>
>>51564562
>what is linux
It's a kernel
>Why are there so many versions
Shit loads of different developers had problems with the other distros that run on the linux kernel, so they made their own so it worked for them. Hence everyone has their own preference and sticks to it.

>Can I customize my own version of Linux
Distros like Arch and Gentoo allow you to do this.

>Do I need to know any language of code
You should be familiar with bash and using a CLI, and know the very basics of general syntax. Other than that no.

>what makes Linux better than Windows or OS X
Very subjective to how you use it, but in itself that's a good thing. Whatever you might want to do with your OS, you can do it with linux, of course with the exception of running certain proprietary software like DirectX.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.