[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>raspberry pi zero comes out >no talk about the smallest,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2
File: images(2).jpg (9 KB, 269x187) Image search: [Google]
images(2).jpg
9 KB, 269x187
>raspberry pi zero comes out
>no talk about the smallest, cheapest, and fastest pi on the market
>>
i don't give a shit suck my chode
>>
>>51563865
>>51541887
check the fucking catalog
>>
>>51563917
no
>>
>>51563865
It literally spawned a new general here. >>51541887 And the rest of the internet talked about it plenty as well.
>>
>>51563865
>no onboard wifi or ethernet
>single micro-usb connector (other one is used for power)
>mini-hdmi
Gee, I wonder why no one talks about it.
>>
>>51563982
>m-muh connectivity
It's made for embedded systems.
I'd be happier if someone got rid of all the ports as well.
>>
>>51563865
Can't wait to hack together an emulation machine with an old gameboy case. Any tips on hooking up controls? I think I'll get a small display, a couple small joysticks, d-pad, four face buttons, and two buttons on the back for bumpers. Then on the inside an external phone charger and usb hub. I'll probably replace the volume slider with buttons.
>>
>>51563865
>No image manipulation software built in
>Have to either spend a few days writing one or register for their retarded app store

You know, the RPi could be so cool. If only it ran TempleOS or a custom OS that mimmicked a microcomputer OS of the 80s. Something that has everything that you need built in right off the bat. Something thats light and functional and excellent.

Instead they fork Debian, strip it of features to work on the underpowered ARM processor, slap their logo on it and overcharge retarded consumers for Stallman's Linux XOR GNU or whatever the fuck he calls it these days on the shittiest quality components.

Why the fuck are you putting an operating system that literally tries it's hardest to be a 1970's mainframe on a creditcard chunk of consumerist plastic and English "quality" electronic components for $25 bucks.

Fuck raspberry pi foundation the fucking cia nigger jews.
>>
>>51565422
>Expecting linux babbies to be able to appreciate templeOS
they would see the 640x480 shell-only interface and wonder how they compile the thing to get to the "real" OS.
>>
>fastest pi on the market
No. The 2 is faster.
>>
How would a RPi work as a HTPC? Would mpv's opengl-hq work well? Could it handle HEVC or other upcoming codecs?

My guess is no.
>>
>>51565422
>a custom OS that mimmicked a microcomputer OS of the 80s
That would be a cool idea. I've always thought that throwing kids into an environment where they need to learn how to program to get anything done would be a great way to learn.

I've done some work with a local school district's tech classes. I think they teachers are a pack of total morons. They have the kids using iPads and editing videos and shit. I think an '80s microcomputer would be a far better fit. The kids would learn more about tech from screwing around in BASIC for an hour than they'll learn in their entire school careers.
>>
>>51565951
I think the RPI2 works OK-ish, but none of them can do hevc decoding in hardware, and since they are very low power, the best you are gonna get is 720p at 30fps for hevc.

opengl-hq should in theory work, as long as they have code for opengles. Im sure someone has forked it and put it in if it isnt in the official mpv yet.
>>
>>51563865
>fastest
no

>no ethernet
>no wifi
>single usable USB
>very few usable GPIO pins
>mini-hdmi
>SJW shit
>still bigger than a gumstix
>much less powerful than an intel compute stick (and less IO)
>>
>>51566176
Mcdonalds is only 5$ why would anyone ever go buy a hamburger at a different restaurant!
>>
>>51566176
What SJW shit?
>>
>>51566116
>the best you are gonna get is 720p at 30fps for hevc.
That's a shame. For $5 it might be OK, though.

Then again, my TV cost over $1000. A $200 HTPC would handle everything I throw at it. Bottlenecking a $1000 TV to save $200 is stupid.

>opengl-hq should in theory work
I know it will work. I just wonder if it's fast enough to keep up.
>>
It's kind of worthless, though. The specs are too small to do most things with unless you cluster the fuck out of them.
>>
>>51566206
https://archive.is/uFlWe#selection-2677.32-2683.1
>>
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=126892

>dat mod reply
>>
>>51566225
>unless you cluster the fuck out of them
Even then they'll be super wimpy. Just in raw hardware they'll be weak, and that's before you take into account the networking bottleneck, the hardware for clustering, the difficulty of upkeep, and the overhead of running so many instances of the OS.

One $200 PC will beat dozens of them.
>>
>>51565247
Really cool. How will you charge it?
>>
>>51566233
Normally I don't give a shit about that dumb gamergate shit but that's pretty shit from the Pi foundation.
>>
>>51566301
yeah, its like the github shit.
Probably just some twitter intern that posted that.
>>
>>51566301
It's just stupid. They make a small computer. Who cares about their political opinions? That's pointlessly divisive.
>>
where can i buy two-way mirror so i can make this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDIbhV8Nvq8
>>
>>51566176
I would rather just get a 25$ android cellphone from walmart and flash a custom rom.

>dual core 1.2ghz
>1gb ram
>wifi
>3g
>touchscreen
>battery
>size of a credit card
>>
>>51566279
The portable phone battery. The pi uses micro usb which makes it super easy to charge it with a portable phone battery. Just need to make a cut for the batteries charge port.
>>
>>51564335
if it has no io then what is it going to do?
sit there and consume power?
>>
>no one talks about it
>except for the same shitty OP who makes this exact same thread 8 times a day

Nobody cares about your learning aids.
>>
>>51566116
But they can do h264 1080p so they'll do fine for 90% of the htpc purposes. If they're 5$ then hell yeah im gonna get one
>>
>>51567900

You don't learn aids. You either have it or you don't.
>>
>>51563865
>autistic shit no one cares about except for loonix fags

fuck off retard
>>
>>51564335
>It's made for embedded systems.
>implying anyone here has any use for it
>>
Everyone in this thread is really underestimating a raspi zero, it's a whole fucking computer and that too for 5$.
I mean even 8 but microcontrollers can do a lot of shit, a computer is several magnitudes more powerful
>>
What are you on about? Here in Australia I have been seeing an article or 2 every day since it was released.
>>
>>51566116
>hevc
>$5 computer
Wat.
>>
>$5
>already >$5 on all sites that sell them

WHAT'S THE FUCKING POINT
>>
>>51568885
That's fucking nothing
>live in India
>only element14 sells raspi zero here
>try to order one
>it's fucking 20$ excluding shipping
>what choice do I have? Order it
>oops all sold out, better luck next time : ^)
>>
>>51568370

>I can't play gaems on it therefore it's useless
>>
I've been interested in making an emulation box, but this particular model would be kinda useless.
Even then I have a softmodded Wii. It can't emulate N64 (barring virtual console), PS1 and on very well, but neither would the Pi 2. It might have the memory to emulate arcade games though. You can't emulate a lot of older arcade games on the Wii due to memory restraints.
>>
Can you get a serial console from one of the USB ports?

Either way, I'm mad pissed at myself for buying an Edison a week ago, now that it's deprecated.
>>
>>51565422
>overcharge retarded consumers

$5

You are redefining the term "poorfag"
>>
>>51569157

did it make you so mad that you went and took a shit on the street?
>>
>>51571058
Almost
I mean import tax on electronics in India is 28% ffs
>>
>>51565422
Can't you just install fucking Debian on it?
>>
>>51571542
yea, you can run any arm-compatible distro on it (debian, ubuntu, arch, gentoo, etc)
>>
>>51566353
>two-way mirror
a window?
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.