[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Li-fi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5
File: 170px-Gluehlampe_01_KMJ.png (59 KB, 170x282) Image search: [Google]
170px-Gluehlampe_01_KMJ.png
59 KB, 170x282
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34942685

>A new method of delivering data, which uses the visible spectrum rather than radio waves, has been tested in a working office.

>Li-fi can deliver internet access 100 times faster than traditional wi-fi, offering speeds of up to 1Gbps (gigabit per second).

>Velmenni used a li-fi-enabled light bulb to transmit data at speeds of 1Gbps. Laboratory tests have shown theoretical speeds of up to 224Gbps.

Will this catch on? Could I download the entire Taken series in a second or two?
>>
>>51563072
>uses the visible spectrum rather than radio waves
I guess that makes sense. What's the range on these things?
>>
>>51563072
You could download it from a server on the local network if it has matching disk speeds. Which it won't have. Also you won't have a server with the entire Taken series locally.
>>
>>51563072
This makes absolutely zero sense in the real world.

Why? Because visible light can't pass through our bodies, or walls. What good would it be if you walked between the bulb and your laptop and cut the connection?
>>
Kek, so you need to permanently position your li-fi antennas in such a way that they have to always get light from the modem, a lan cable is a lot less hassle.
>>
Does this mean you can see something flashing or flickering as it transmits? What about epilepsy?
>>
>>51563209
fibre-optic cables?
>>
>>51563395
Then it wouldn't be wireless...
>>
File: lifi-tech.jpg (41 KB, 674x463) Image search: [Google]
lifi-tech.jpg
41 KB, 674x463
This is the best example i can find.
>>
>>51563209
You haven't witnessed the application in the real world. The light isn't a laser. It is well equipped to deal with diffracted light signals.
>>
>>51563357
No you can't. The flickering rates are far above the ability of any human eye to discern.
>>
Dude I'm using li-fi right now.

It's called a monitor, ya dip
>>
>>51563072
LiFi is a proposed 5G connectivity standard that has been in the works for years now, tons of articles on IEEE spectrum about it.
The only problem is that all the light sockets in your house would need to be wired for it. Though inherent security and high throughput with near guaranteed perfect connection make it worth while. WiFi routers dying out would be a good thing.

>>51563209
Oh anon, how little you know.
The receptor is so sensitive that it picks up reflections off of surfaces in the room. You do not need direct line of sight.
>>
>>51563536
Cool. Now bend over and lube up.
>>
>>51563558
>mfw light becomes internet
what a time we live in
>>
Light can't carry any meaningful information.We don't even know what is light and why does it behave like matter-wave when it wants...
>>
>>51563072
>NEW
AM I IN 2011?
>>
>>51563634
>light can't carry any meaningful information

what is fiber optics you fucking mong
>>
>>51563662
>mong
Go back to shagging your sheep, Rhydian boyo.
>>
>I got no reception from my living room!!
>>
File: conspiracy-keanu.jpg (26 KB, 551x549) Image search: [Google]
conspiracy-keanu.jpg
26 KB, 551x549
>>51563497
>PDA
>>
We're all going to die of mega cancer, right?

The amount of radio waves going through our bodies every second of the day can't be good for us on a molecular level.

They are going to be talking about this hundreds of years from now after they've long abolished radio waves of all kinds.
>>
does this mean that my laptop would have a little light on it to transmit back to the network? How bright/distracting would it be?

I cant imagine this catching on.
>>
>>51563713
>conspiracy keanu
jesus fuck i haven't seen this pic for too long, shit now i remember how old I am
>>
File: 3fd.jpg (60 KB, 487x469) Image search: [Google]
3fd.jpg
60 KB, 487x469
>>51563715
That's right. We ought to live in a world of natural sunlight that cannot possibly hurt us. All that synthentic radio is killing us slowly for over 100 years.
>>
>>51563558
>routers dieing
>no cables
sounds like a direct connection to the nsa
>>
>>51563719
It is impossible for a human eye to discern the blinking of these light signals.
>>
>>51563779
He was implying we could still see it faggot, and I don't want any lights on my rig because I use it at night time
>>
>>51563518
>>51563558
Are you guys from the marketing team?

It states in the article that it can't be used outdoors or through walls.

If sunlight causes that much interference then anything the light had to reflect or refract off of is going to cause extreme signal interference and degradation.This shit doesn't work in any way like fiber optics using total internal reflection, no environment in the real world is like that.

What if someone turns on a lamp in the room? poof, there goes your speed, hell it might drop out altogether.
>>
>>51563715
Just like how cigarettes were good for you for a few decades. It's not even the radio waves themselves, there are some radio frequencies that won't harm the human body, but we don't use those frequencies.
>>
>>51563072
>Could I download the entire Taken series in a second or two?

Not unless the guys you're torrenting it from are on a connection that fast, as well as your home and home network.
>>
>>51563810
This.

I was amazed how many neet fucks are infesting /g/.
People using internet and doesn't even know shit about what is fiber optics and how do they work.
>>
>>51563072

I read "wifi killers" since 2008, and those ideas fail because industry or society are lazy for use new tecnologies
>>
>>51563810
Of course it can't go through walls. Its three colored LEDs, not an xray. That itself lends a level of security to every connection. There is no broadcast SSID that can be picked up as a radio wave. No one can view any packets transferred between your device and the emitter.
Broad daylight does not impede the connection within distances encountered in a house. The colored LEDs are so low power that you wouldn't even see them in a pitch black room.

Try actually doing some research on a topic before you walk into a thread and proceed to shit your pants like an autistic 5 year old baby.
>>
>>51564080
Hey my 5 year old has autism, your post is offensive and I'm officially offended. Reported.
>>
what light technology is this using? Currently, LEDs turn on/off within a matter of miliseconds. Actual diodes can have a reverse recovery time of near 30nS but not LEDs. Not even infrared LEDs. Milliseconds. How is this switching on/off fast enough?
>>
>>51563779
yeah but there will still be visible light, a bright light on my laptop is going to be distracting, how bright does it have to be? can it be coloured or does it have to be white? these are all important things to consider.
>>
>>51564080
Because visible light can't go through walls, that in itself makes it useless. No business or college in the world is going to tear up their whole building to use this.
>That itself lends a level of security to every connection.
False, anyone who can build a machine capable of observing the APs LED's can determine the data being sent through it. The data will have to be encrypted, just like Wi-Fi
>There is no broadcast SSID that can be picked up as a radio wave
False. Visible Light = Radio Wave. It's all electromagnetic radiation, all of it. Wi-Fi AP's can turn off SSID broadcast too, doesn't mean you can't find it, same applies to this technology.
> No one can view any packets transferred between your device and the emitter
False, see above, encryption still necessary. Not to mention it doesn't stop MITM attacks.
>Broad daylight does not impede the connection within distances encountered in a house
Any visible light from a source that isn't itself IS going to cause interference, it's a physical law. Microwaves are well known for causing Wi-Fi interference because they both operate at 2.4GHz.

Please research what electromagnetic radiation is before you start shilling a thread for a snake oil tech.
>>
>>51564184
Last year a group did a demo with off the shelf LEDs and reached an aggregate speed of 110MB/s up and down, and they reached higher peaks unidirectionally.
Some other groups have gotten much higher speeds with laser diodes.

>>51564291
They're using red green and blue light sources, and they're dim enough that you can't see them even when the bulb is off. An example li-fi emitter would be a normal LED bulb, but part of the array would have three separate LEDs connected to a little controller that modulates them to carry the network signal.
The receptors used are sensitive enough to pick up only those certain wave lengths, even if they're bouncing off a wall in broad daylight totally invisible to the naked eye.
>>
>>51564359
Installing a fixture and routing a wire is not tearing up a building. Its no different from putting an electrical outlet or switch in place.

Light does not go through walls. This simple fact escapes your sub 80 IQ mind at awful convenient times. If I'm sitting in an office on a LiFi connection that connection is as secure as a wired one. No one outside can pick up that wireless signal being transmitted, no one can intercept any packets being sent. No one on the other side of a door can intercept your traffic. Period. There is no arguing this point, you dumb fucking child.

Researches working with numerous companies and universities know far more than you do. This site is 18+ by the way, underage posters are not allowed.
>>
>external antenna's

WHY
>>
>>51564360
>>51564467
So why are you here shilling for this tech?
>>
>>51564546
>make laughably stupid argument
>get butthurt
>b-b-b-but you're a shill!!!!

This is a board for discussing technology, you autismal faggot. New connectivity standards are the very definition of technology.
A better question is why you came in the thread to do nothing but spread FUD and disinfo.
>>
>doesn't work through a desk
>implying any normal will even figure out how to work the shit
>>
>>51564569
I'm not the poster you were replying to in those posts. You're well beyond discussing this tech and into openly sucking its dick when it's not particularly interesting or novel.
>>
>>51564594
>still just shitposting like a child

I made plainly factual posts, and I'm not even the OP.
>>
>>51564467
Holy shit you're dense.

Removing an entire buildings light fittings and replacing them IS tearing up a building, you won't get it done in a day.

If the tech works based on the frequency of the light, simply observing the bulb in operation will tell you everything about the data going through it. Encryption is still an absolute necessity.

The fact it doesnt go through walls is BAD.

You are an employee, on your Li-Fi smartphone your boss calls you via VoIP, as you are talking to him, you walk into the next room. Oops, the connection cut. Even if it can connect to the light in the next room quickly, it doesn't matter. Anything less than 100% reliability is completely useless in a professional environment, and this tech can't guarantee that as much as Wi-Fi can.

A rogue agent could also spoof the MAC and IP of an existing light and install his own one in the same spot, welp, he's got all your data. No more secure than Wi-Fi, encryption still needed.

Not sure why I'm replying rationally to someone who clearly isn't rational.
>>
>>51564467
You are literally shilling for "it's not a bug, it's a feature". It's a tech that can't travel 50cm through a thin wooden wall but can travel hundreds of meters through your window. It's a security fucking nightmare. Interference is a huge known issue, jus like security. Your entire argument is hurr durr ppl smarter that u think about this while those issues are the main problems with this tech.
>>
>>51563395
>congrats, dumbest post, etc.
>>
>>51564611
Really I'm hoping there isn't someone sad enough to just regurgitate press releases without some form of ulterior motive. Li-fi exists to ride out grants/investor money, that's it.
>>
what happens when I put my phone in my pocket??
>>
>>51564721
You'll get cancer most likely.
>>
>>51564625
>in the very same post
>conveniently ignoring how light works
>just lines apart

A wifi signal can be picked up from a a building a great distance away. If you have a strong enough directional antenna you can connect to a network from well over a hundred yards on normal consumer hardware.
That is a security nightmare. Visible light that is blocked by opaque objects does not have this vault. If I want a wireless connection in one room then LiFi would provide it. It cannot be detected from hundreds of feet away. It does not broadcast an SSID that can be picked up from a great distance.
That connection is as secure as a wired one. End of story.
>b-b-but I couldn't make a skype call on a phone!
You could have every cubicle in an office building on their own connection. Every separate room has their own connection. That is monumentally easier to manage than numerous wifi connections, or running CAT6 cable all over a building.
Drop the fucking encryption already. Jesus fucking christ. Never once did anyone say that the signaling wouldn't involve encryption. You alone made this incorrect, stupid, and entirely childish assumption.

You're through obvious willful ignorance ignoring every benefit while actively trying to find niche scenarios that present a fault. This literally is autistic behavior.

>b-b-but da hackas!
>b-b-but muh skype calls
>i-its shit! I don't even understand how it works but its shit!

>>51564634
>>51564691
>he knows more than I do, and I'm intimidated
>I'll accuse him of just regurgitating headlines
>and call him a shill! Thats my favorite meme word!

Its hilarious when insecure NEET children like you can't make an argument.
>>
>>51564691
Well, dash your hopes against the rocks and just take what he says at face value. Giving people the benefit of the doubt with out meeting them in person is rather pointless if you feel you have been fair in communicating with them.

I'd just write that anon off as pathetic and try not to waste any more time on the matter.
>>
File: 1447958622497.jpg (96 KB, 504x504) Image search: [Google]
1447958622497.jpg
96 KB, 504x504
>>51563072
hmmm epilepsi
hmmm Xtra fast burning wolfram filamanents
hmmmmm Xtraa NSA
>>
>>51564467
>>51564080
>>51564789
Wow listen to all the butthurt ad hominem at the end of these posts, not to mention the hard projecting.

>Somebody's extra cranky that their failed idea is getting BTFO.
>>
>>51564789
m8 clearly you're intent on trying to win an argument on a mongolian puppet forum for some snake oil tech that will never see the light of day. so hey don't let me stop you.

I'm not going to waste anymore time on the numerous security issues that this tech simply doesn't solve or its numerous other flaws.

The number one reason this will never happen? The one that makes all its other flaws completely irrelevant?

Cost.

No business in the world is going to rip out the old lights, buy a new light for each cubicle (btw each cubicle? are you out of your mind?) and install them. The cost of of doing that alone when the existing system in place is perfectly fine for professional use is just absurd.

Even home users won't buy into it. You want a fast reliable connection to a device in your house? Well you can buy this 50 dollar lightbulb! Oh btw, you'll have to refit your light and wire the bulb to the router.

Don't forget you'll need to buy our patented Li_Fi adapter! Only $100! Oh and it had to be left in the open, cant put it in a cabinet or anything!

Or you could just yknow, wire the device in directly with this $5 Cat6 cable.

What a fucking joke. I'm a network engineer btw, so the projecting you've been doing is pretty sad, but I'm sure you'll find some witty greentext comeback to put me in my place. It's a nice concept, but it just doesn't work on a large scale. End of.
>>
>>51565114
>just skirting over all the horrendous mistakes you got called out for in your previous posts
>I'm a network engineer guys I swear

HA
>>
Fuck Li-Fi it's gonna be bottlenecked asf
>>
I bet you think solar roadways are gonna be a thing too.
>>
>>51563715
Radiowaves are too long to interact with the body in any meaningful way.
>>
>>51563072
>be browsing in the public
>some asshole with a strobe light gives you a virus
th...thanks
>>
In an office environment, wouldn't so much shit cause interference? It's "light" for god sakes.
>>
They've been claiming this for a few years now. I'll believe it whenever they release something.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.