[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
botnetOS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: implying.jpg (11 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
implying.jpg
11 KB, 284x177
Hey /g/,

Tell me why I shouldn't get an acer chromebook for $99.

I've used a chromebook before and although what I can do is very limited, I was thinking of dual booting with a /linux/ OS.
>>
JUST DO IT!
>>
What do you guys do with a chromebook? Just use remote desktop and streaming?
>>
I'll tell you why you should buy it.

I'm running Xubuntu on mine which I bought this morning for $94. It is pretty sweet actually, and the install was relatively painless. If you use crouton you get a side-by-side with Chrome OS and share the download folder. I like having to start xubuntu manually but YMMV.

The stuff I looked at advised against anything heavier, so I went with a basic ubuntu, xfce-desktop, and pared away everything I didn't need. No hardware conflicts, wifi worked flawlessly.

Go for it man, its capable enough for any sane laptop activity. If you wanted a desktop replacement you wouldn't be looking in the sub $600 range.
>>
>>51563142
Probably
>>51563827
Other OS like xubuntu et al were one of the motives of looking into chromebook as a purchase option
>>
>cheap af
>light
>enough power to do most things besides advanced gayman
>perfect as a travel pc / back-up pc in case yours shits itself
do it phaggot
>>
>>51564312
>tfw you'll be online 99% of the time
>>
Shit is this thread a sign? I just looked at one for 99 dollars this morning.
>>
Been using one for about a month and am happy with it. Portable and cheap. I can do 95% of my normal tasks on it with a Linux distro installed (ChromeOS is indeed too limiting/botnet).
>>
>>51565036
Where are you going to get yours from?
>>
>>51565092
What distro are you using?
>>
>>51566079
Arch
>>
>>51566054
The one I saw was at Office depot. "On Sale" for its regular price. I hate black Friday.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.