[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain how the technologically illiterate home users
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: Ipv6.jpg (96 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
Ipv6.jpg
96 KB, 800x533
Can someone explain how the technologically illiterate home users will secure their internal networks if we adopt IPV6?

>Every machine has a globally routeable IP address

>Idiots never patch their systems

>Everyone's parents and grandparents are hacked
>>
IPv6 is literally botnet pushed by NSA/Google because IPv4 + NAT is working too well.
>>
>what is unique local
>what is link local
You're a fucking idiot OP.
>>
Port Address Translation is still possible in IPv6.

There will be an advisory notice of some kind at some point that worried users should set it up.

There are also stream inspection mechanisms that can operate atop standard ly3 streams without routing i.e. Variants of NAT.
>>
>>51559202
That statement is factually unfounded. And, it is equivalent to saying the Illuminati invented 12mm wood screws to spite the carpentry market.
>>
>>51559202
>he thinks NAT is security
>>
>>51559139
routers will be equipped with software that will translate between local IPv4 addresses and an IPv6 public address
we won't have to use IPv6, it will be all handled by the router
>>
>>51559202
If IPv4 and NAT were working correctly, we wouldn't be trying to replace it.
We are out of IPv4 addresses, we have no choice
>>
>>51559202
what is it with people and botnets, I doubt you even know what a botnet is
>>
>>51559946
>We are out of IPv4 addresses, we have no choice

240.0.0.0/4
Here I found 268 million
>>
>>51559994
what class is that, we are not going to be able to use class D and E
>>
>>51559994
that IP (240.0.0.0/4) is reserved for future use, classed as special-purpose in RFC-6890
>>
>>51559994
Also i'm sure apple and hp need those 60 million ips they reserved, the MIT needs those 16 millions, same with Ford and IBM
>>
>>51559994
I get your point, but I suggest you verse yourself on the concept of an 'Internet of Things'.

Basically, thanks to mobile computing and ridiculous manufacturing trends, everything in your home and office, especially the most mundane stuff like blenders and lightswitches, are developing towards having their own globally accessible IP. Why? because the public are idiots and it's a selling point.

And you know how fast the Chinese can manufacture pure shit? Combine these two facets and you get 'The Internet of Things' - our IPv4 internet where most of the addresses are consumed by mundane, idiotic shit like household items and disposable phones.

Sure IP sharing is a temporary solution, but it is temporary by the very nature. You can't have waiting queues for Ly3 addresses, it's very bad practice and does not scale.

With IPv6, every atom on the Earth's surface can be addressed. IoT is no issue.
>>
>>51560082
I agree, IPv4 can only handle 4bn addresses, thank China and IoT for that
>>
>>51559139
Firewalls won't suddenly stop existing. Every SOHO router has one, in addition to NAT. So no, your devices won't be accessible unless you allow it.
>>
>>51560082

Ya I'm certainly confused by how people don't understand IPV6 is botnet 2.0.
>>
>>51560160
WFT is it with people and botnets, since when is IPv6 a botnet?
>>
>>51560160
A Ly3 address is not intelligent. It cant execute anything.

If we removed all home addresses in the world and replaced them with a number, would that be a botnet?

Your definition is strange, that or I'm being baited hard.
>>
>>51559139
well op is retarded
but can someone explain why all the stuff in ipv6 is necessary, why didn't we keep ipv4 under the hood but give it a bigger address space
router solicitation? seems dumb to me.
>>
>>51560292
IPv4 was designed in the late 70's to early 80's, they never thought that a fucktonne of systems would be on the net
>>
>>51560292
Yeah we should just make ipv4 go to 999.999.999.999
That should be enough for a while.
>>
>>51559139
A FIREWALL

you idiot.
>>
>>51560330
but what is wrong with it apart from addresses?
ipv6 changes lots of things not just addresses
>>51560374
>decimal
almost
>>
>>51559139
Firewalls. NATs are not firewalls (although sometimes they have to act like stateful firewalls).

That's exactly why Windows 10 doesn't give you a choice about patches and goes rolling release, fuck you if you don't agree - so idiots don't get to leave their systems unpatched, which is good for the whole internet ecosystem.

In theory. In practice, Windows Update can fail and not fix itself very well. They really need to make that smoother and more reliable, because otherwise, unpatched machines.

>>51560292
Because IPv4, even with CIDR, doesn't have routing which easily scales to the number of ASes we have now. It needed to be redesigned.

It's a shame encryption wasn't built in by default, but looking back, if it had been then, chances are worse than even that the protocol would have been designed well, let alone the available primitives that would have been used back then.
>>
>>51560077
Same thing is happening with IPv6, by the way. The only difference is that early IPv6 adopters are getting thousands of billions of addresses instead of just tens of millions.
>>
>>51559139
>Create firewall rule: block connections from wan to lan
Wow that was fucking hard
>>
>>51561777
And presumably, this would be the default on home routers.
>>
or 6 years i got shitty 6 mb down 0,5 up internet. And tomorow i got new 300 down, 30 up internet, with ip v 6 (without static private ip v 4)
So will typical user can visit my site on ip v 6 adrress? How is working clou d flare on this one?
What if someone post c p / hack on my shitty arm server site?
>>
File: firewall.png (15 KB, 486x266) Image search: [Google]
firewall.png
15 KB, 486x266
>>51561794
It already is.
>still living in the past
Many ISPs all over the world offer native ipv6.
>>
>>51561914
>cisco
Enjoy you're enterprise-grade botnet.
>>
>>51561938
I actually found that on the web, thanks :)
>enterprise-grade
It's from some linksys-by-cisco piece of shit home router.
>>
>>51559842
>mfw am carpenter screwed by wood screws
Damn you, Illuminati
>>
Just stick another octet or two on the end mongos wow.
>>
>>51559139

Uhhhmm.. My router simply drops incoming SYN packets & non-related UDP.

Stop spreading the 'ipv6 is evil meme'
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.