[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why doesn't linux have setup.exe?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: 1308071660938.jpg (30 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1308071660938.jpg
30 KB, 500x375
Why doesn't linux have setup.exe?
>>
Gr8 b8 m8 I r8 8/8
>>
>>51556739
because linux doesn't even use EXEs.
>>
>>51556739
Because it doesn't use .exe files
>>
>>51556753

I don't think this was b8 m8 I do r8 an 8 as well
>>
this is a test desu
>>
why doesn't linux have thumbnails in the file chooser?
>>
>>51556776
Gr8r & b8r m8, I r8 88/8, hav gr8 d8
>>
kek senpai
>>
>>51556796

but it does, anon, get with the times
>>
File: Bait.png (114 KB, 955x957) Image search: [Google]
Bait.png
114 KB, 955x957
>>
>>51556796
Because you haven't configured it to.
>>
>>51556796
this is outdated bait. stop using the gtkfilechooser and it'll work.
>>
Why would anyone want to use Linux? No, seriously. All games and programs work on windows and it's way simpler to use. There's literally No Reason to use that shit
>>
>>51556910
Programs are also easier to install on Windows. You just click setup.exe
>>
>>51556914
>installing multiple programs individually one at a time is easier than installing multiple programs in one terminal command.
>>
I once clicked setup.exe and it gave me a virus.

Now I use an Apple and it just works.
>>
>>51556931
>Every single day I have to install 55 new programs, I love Linux!
>>
>>51556950
but its absurd to say that its easier to install programs on windows than on linux, especially if you have to install/uninstall more than one program. you don't even have to hunt down the program, usually its in the repo.
>>
>>51556968
>have to hunt down the program, usually its in the repo.
but when it isn't, there's no setup.exe
>>
>>51556950
It's just better to have a repository of programs that you know will work with your distro, as well as being able to update those programs as needed in bulk
>>
>>51556982
there is nothing special about .exes
>>
>have to open command prompt and type in two dozen commands just to install a single program
>shit doesn't work, incompatiblity issues left and right
Tell me why I should be using Linux again?
>>
How do you make a program installer for offline use in Linux? How do you even share programs with people(if they can't download it for example)? Without using terminal?
>>
Why doesn't Windows have package managers?
>>
>>51557087
Chocolatey
>>
>>51556982
The "setup.exe" is "disguised" as either "setup.sh", or more commonly as "Makefile", neither of which are harder to use than "setup.exe".
>>
>>51557103
How do you uninstall the program? If the Makefile has an uninstall target at all, you still need to keep it around.
>>
>>51557087
To avoid dependency hell.
>>
>>51557110
As you would with any uninstaller for Windows applications. But generally you would try to avoid manual installation and use packages as much as possible, and when that's not possible, build your own package using the distro's preferred method- That'd make uninstallation as easy as removing any other package.
>>
>>51557063
>24 commands to install a program
>apt-get install [program]
>pacman -S [program]
>yum install [program]
>>
>>51557087
They're (shamefully late) about to with OneGet.

>>51557114
M$ is lazy in that regard.
>>
Because it has setup.deb instead.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.