[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ubuntu LTS vs latest release?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: ubuntu-logo-2.jpg (103 KB, 1000x1034) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-logo-2.jpg
103 KB, 1000x1034
14.04 vs 15.10?
>>
>>51553025

>A Hectic Geek review noted problems with X.Org Server crashes and concluded "If you use Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and if it’s working out for you, then there really is no need to switch to a non-LTS release, especially to the 15.10."

lol
>>
wait for the next LTS release in april
>>
>>51553064
>wait for the next LTS release in april

Why?

I'm really curious, I heard 15.10 is a shitty release.

What do you think?
>>
>>51553043
>X.Org Server crashes
wtf this is arch tier, I tough this distro was for normal people.
>>
>>51553082
only change they made (in 6 months lol) is new scrollbar, is your time this worthless that its viable to update?
>>
>>51553233
Non-LTS Ubuntu is a whole lot worse than Arch these days, especially with the patch clusterfuck on a lot of GNOME programs.
>>
>>51553082
I use 15.10 because it comes with gcc 5.1
>>
>>51553274
>only change they made (in 6 months lol) is new scrollbar, is your time this worthless that its viable to update?

Well, that's just Unity.
But yeah, you're right.

>>51553331
>Non-LTS Ubuntu is a whole lot worse than Arch these days, especially with the patch clusterfuck on a lot of GNOME programs.

Now that's something new.

I heard that non-LTS Ubuntu is shit, but THIS shit?
>>
>>51553575
arch is not shit you newfag
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (25 KB, 1280x528) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
25 KB, 1280x528
>>51553592
>arch is not shit you newfag

Only an Archfag deals in absolutes.
>>
>>51553672
but that opinion is absolute
>>
File: asdas.jpg (22 KB, 560x275) Image search: [Google]
asdas.jpg
22 KB, 560x275
>>51553750
>but that opinion is absolute

Well, then you are lost!!!
>>
>>51553779
no, it means you are a retard
>>
File: grrg.png (214 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
grrg.png
214 KB, 600x300
>>51553794
>no, it means you are a retard

From my point of view, you are a retard!
>>
File: 541.png (133 KB, 361x358) Image search: [Google]
541.png
133 KB, 361x358
>>51553807
>>
>>51553815

Never.
I'll never turn to the Arch Side.
You have failed, Your Highness.
I am a *buntu, like the anons before me.
>>
>>51553592
hello newfag
>>
openSUSE Tumbleweed
>>
>>51553592
>2015
>He uses a meme distro
>>
>>51553064
but the next LTS will come with systemd. LTS 14.04 is the last LTS that uses upstart
>>
>>51554756
>but the next LTS will come with systemd. LTS 14.04 is the last LTS that uses upstart

Do you have a problem with systemd?
>>
>>51553025
There's usually no reason not to use the latest release.
>>
>>51554772
>Do you have a problem with systemd?
yes, I have a problem with systemd. everything is wrong with systemd, it's pure cancer.
>>
>>51554785
It just works
>>
>>51554777
>There's usually no reason not to use the latest release.

The lead developer and founder of Ubuntu is Mark Shuttleworth. This is what he says about this:

"Our working assumption is that the latest interim release is used by folks who will be involved, even if tangentially, in the making of Ubuntu (read: developers and testers), and LTS releases will be used by those who purely consume it (read: you and I)."

Source:
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1246
>>
>>51554785
>everything is wrong with systemd

For example?
I'm waiting...
>>
>>51554802
Non-LTS releases are stable enough to use as a main OS though.
The only drawback is the short support, but when a new version is out you just upgrade to that.
>>
>>51554796
it's an init system that has a massive feature creep. if you want to use one feature (like networkd for example) you have to use all of it. it's completely inflexible because you have to use systemd with anything that it shat out.
>>
>>51554824
>stable enough
>enough

Hehh...
>>
>>51554824

See this >>51554802
>>
>>51554851
It is though.
15.10 isn't even that different from 14.04 besides using systemd.
If they manage to switch to Unity 8 and Mir for 16.04 it would be a Mir-acle, and I seriously doubt they will get everything working in time.
At most it will still default to X11 with the option to use a Mir session like Gnome 3 has the option for a Wayland session.
>>
>>51554891
>15.10 isn't even that different from 14.04 besides using systemd.

So 15.10 was basically an unnecessary / redundant release.

>I seriously doubt they will get everything working in time

So Ubuntu is dead?
>>
>>51553575
>I heard that non-LTS Ubuntu is shit, but THIS shit?
It is. LTS is usually better even for average people, because it's incredibly popular, and gets a lot of testing. Xubuntu/Lubuntu's current LTS versions are what I show to anyone trying to dual-boot for the first time. For intermediate to advanced, basically any common distro works like Fedora/SUSE.
>>51553592
epic dude!
>>
>>51554933
Not dead, but they really should have tested Mir on a non-LTS release first.
That alone makes me think they'll play it safe for 16.04, but we'll see.
>>
>>51554963

If they'll continue like this, Mint will truly become the "Ideal Ubuntu" (which is kinda sad).
>>
>>51554995
Well, I've been on Mint for over a year now because I don't like Ubuntu.
Mint has it's problems too of course.
>>
>>51555023
>Mint has it's problems too of course.

I tried it, too.

I felt that somehow I don't have absolute control over the whole thing, even that update center thing was weird, compared to the simple Ubuntu.

But maybe it's just me.
Many people like it, even hardcore tech guys.
>>
>>51555055
>even that update center thing was weird, compared to the simple Ubuntu
It's actually one of the advantages over Ubuntu, the update manager is very good, it has a kernel manager too.
I also like that it comes with Synaptic and gdebi package installer out of the box.

The thing I like most about Mint is Cinnamon, and it just doesn't integrate as well into other distros.
Cinnamon is just brilliant, every time I try to give another DE a chance, be it KDE or XFCE I end up disappointed.
And Unity is just cancer, it's only made to look simple, but it's not actually simple to use when things are either hidden from you or omitted entirely.

The bad thing about Mint is that it comes with a lot of bloat, and in my opinion poor default software that I have to remove after installing it.
And Cinnamon is not the lightest DE, and It's also still buggy, though perfectly usable, just expect it to eat 300MB of RAM if you use your computer for a week before rebooting and use more than one monitor.
>>
>>51555149
>And Cinnamon is not the lightest DE, and It's also still buggy, though perfectly usable, just expect it to eat 300MB of RAM if you use your computer for a week before rebooting and use more than one monitor.

But why do you use Cinnamon, then?

Usable =/= good
>>
LTS all the way. Preferabbly xfce or a tiling WM if you're not shit.
>>
>>51553025
I am using xenial (16.04 LTS pre-alpha) right now, but I'm keeping up in development and that's because by the time I'm done with this, it'll be out, or at least nearly out. And none of the thorny bits (mir, unity8) are part of the server build I'm working with. (Why am I not using Debian? Because jessie is a little too old, sid is of course a little too wobbly and there won't be another release within my timescales.)

Unless you want to base stuff on systemd or need up-to-date libraries, trusty (14.04 LTS) would be a reasonable choice.
>>
>>51553999
this
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.