[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Its 2015 why cant Linux or Windows get high resolution scaling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
Its 2015 why cant Linux or Windows get high resolution scaling right?

Is it hard to program for? because everything being tiny as fuck seems to be the norm for most programs
>>
>>51552906

Use a less shitty OS, problem solved.

List of less shitty OS:
OS X
>>
because everyone is still using 1366x768
>>
>>51552952
osx has the same problems but no where near as bad.

you probably wont notice until you plug your macbook into a different sized monitor or resolution
>>
>>51552906
I only use 2 types of programs, web browsers and programs that run in a terminal. All of them scale fine.
>>
Linux doesn't deal with high resolution. That is a problem for X11.
>>
4K monitor here, things look fine to me.
>>
>>51552906
change your dpi settings or use virtual scailing
>>
>>51553054
This is a right pain in the arse. I have to use ubuntu on my 4k laptop as awesomewm is so fucking tiny I'd need to use a microscope to use it. is there any solution to this?
>>
>>51552906
>Is it hard to program for?
It should honestly be transparently handled by the OS
like on android
>>
>>51553083
Use kde or gnome
>>
I don't have many issues with Linux. On the other hand, I -have- to use Windows and scaling is indeed quite terrible. Font rendering is plain awful.

So I thought "wait a minute, adobe software runs on OSX, maybe I can use hackintosh on the computer I'm about to build" and now I'm trying to find a decent Intel processor that's good for gaming that is also cheap ($100-$150) which seems pretty impossible.
>>
>>51553083
Install Gnome3 and Gnome tweak tool. Everything that uses GTK will obey with the Gnome scaling.
>>
>>51553083

>install gentoo
>>
xft.dpi: 128
done
>>
>>51552906
high resolution is a meme
scaling is a meme
displays are a meme
eyes are a meme
>>
why aren't icons stored as svg files?
wouldn't that fix some of the issues with high resolution scaling?
or am i just completely off?
>>
>>51553275
because they have to be rendered each time
it's cheaper to render 256x256 or 512x512 and so on beforehand
>>
>>51553067
doesnt change in program scaling and such its still going to have some random icons in programs that are tiny
>>
>>51553121
>hackintosh
>gaming
>using adobe on osx
>>
>>51553323
No no, I'd be gaming on Windows like a sensible person.

Since it's not the only thing I do though, I would use hackintosh for anything else.
>>
But they are

Windows "metro" apps scale properly
>>
>>51552906
>Its 2015 why cant Linux or Windows get high resolution scaling right?
They do. Blame developers that don't play by the rules and override those settings.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: software properly developped according to Microsoft's specifications during the Windows 95 era will run like a charm on Windows 10 and have its UI updated to the latest Metro UI flatness without any issue. That's how good Windows forward compatibility is, except it's also is bane, plus no one is really exploiting it and Microsoft basically struggles to maintain obsolete shit.

The problem has long been solved- hell, all common computer problems have been solved quite some time ago. Now it's up to shitty devs to use those solutions already.
>>
>>51552906
Windows 10 does scaling OK on my HIDPI screen.

Stop using 5 year old software.
>>
>>51553449
>software properly developped according to Microsoft's specifications during the Windows 95 era will run like a charm on Windows 10 and have its UI updated to the latest Metro UI flatness without any issue.

[citation needed]
>>
>>51553466
I've seen it time and time again with old as shit company software. But that's software made back then when being a developer meant something, and when people actually read the fucking manuals.

People don't do that anymore, they override everything, create their custom UI controls, their own "save file" dialog boxes, their own file writing classes... mostly always because some fucking designer thinks it doesn't look good enough, or some retarded ergonomist thinks it's better to recolor the UI and make round buttons rather than stick to the OS identity and compatibility. And then they complain when it breaks.

If you use proper Windows APIs, everything just adapts. This is most striking with UIs, but not only, even some other features like control panel properties, administration/diagnostic databases, registry settings... and shit works just as good as it used to.

It's ironic to see how many companies stick to old software to avoid breaking compatibility when in fact there isn't the slightest compatibility issue.
>>
>>51552906
buy more screen and less pixels
>>
>>51552966
>plugs in rMBP 15inch into 1080p display
>sets it up as secondary display
>drags window over
>window loses some of its quality compared to retina display because of resolution
>window keeps its size and that size is about the same as on the retina display
feels good man
>>
>>51552906
>Linux
Scaling works fine in Gnome 3 and Cinnamon.
>>
>>51552906
Yeah. That's one thing that irks me about Windows. OS X has a much better support for high dpi apps. Heck, even steam on OS X has high dpi support, but not on windows.
>>
>>51553466
You need to set an environment variable to get Qt5 to do that under GNOME. I think it's QT_PIXELS_PER_PX=2 or something.
>>
>>51552906
Its not automatic on most displays unless its a laptop, so you just need to pick 125%, 150%, etc that fit your needs OP, why are you this autistic?
>>
>>51552906
>Doesn't configure scaling settings
>Complaing when scaling isn't active
AYY LMAO
>>
File: windows-10-dpi-settings_large.jpg (78 KB, 1024x899) Image search: [Google]
windows-10-dpi-settings_large.jpg
78 KB, 1024x899
>>51552906
ITS BEEN THERE SINCE WINDOWS XP YOU STUPID FUCK
It was fine on 7, great on 8.1 and perfected on 10.
>>
File: indian_dilemmah.png (336 KB, 441x669) Image search: [Google]
indian_dilemmah.png
336 KB, 441x669
>>51553083
Run X wih -dpi 200,
>>51552906
lightdm/gnomeme has a built in scaler that works perfectly between multiple displays
>>51553054
And x11 supported variable dpis since the 90's
>>
>>51553450
latest version of libre office

battle net launcher

inb4 no one uses those programs
>>
>>51555460
>>51555503
i dont think you understand the scaling problem. once you are outside of microsoft programs you either have microscopic or uneven text or microscopic icons in programs.
>>
>>51555862
Most shit work here just fine, a little blurry sometimes because some devs don't even put scale settings right but they are bigger as they should be.
>>
>>51555547
Whenever I use it shit gets grainy when you have two different resolution monitors, just because it's there that doesn't mean it's good
>>
>>51555919
>shit gets grainy
Stop downloading Yify rips man
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.