[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's talk solar power... I need a cheap reliable source
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: images-36.jpg (14 KB, 445x331) Image search: [Google]
images-36.jpg
14 KB, 445x331
Let's talk solar power...
I need a cheap reliable source of about 50 watts minimum at 12 volts at all times... I could possibly go down to 6 volts, but 50 watts is the minimum.

The reason for solar power is because government supplied electricity is unreliable in my country. You might randomly go 2 days without electricity just because the government says so.

My question is, considering this is meant to be over the course of 50 years or more, is it better to have a PV system (as they're known to decrease in efficiency over long periods of time before having to be replaced eventually after 30 years or so) or solar thermal (which only needs small cheaper parts to be replaced on occasion, if ever)? Considering it's on such a small scale, I'm guessing it wouldn't matter much, but I'm just curious
>>
Solar isn't exactly reliable. I'd say get a gas generator, or put a car battery between the panel and whatever you're running on it.
>>
>>51552848
Thanks,
Yeah the intention was to have it run off a battery at night and solar in the day. I essentially need 50 watts, but I'll cater for 80 to 90, just to be safe
>>
if the intention is simply needing constantly power with unreliable mains, then you only need a battery backup (as simple as a mains batter charger + a battery with battery-powered devices and/or an inverter, basically, a UPS)
if the intention is not using mains at all, then combine that with solar panels (that is, use a solar charge controller in lieu of a mains battery charger)
>>
File: a.png (49 KB, 941x262) Image search: [Google]
a.png
49 KB, 941x262
>>51554010
quick example of a basic solar power system
>>
>>51554115
the capabilities of the panel/charge controller/voltage regular/battery (capacity) depends on your specific needs (and budget)
>>
>>51552350
>Considering it's on such a small scale, I'm guessing it wouldn't matter much, but I'm just curious
by the time your system wears out (panels/batteries), the cost of equivalent replacements would probably be much cheaper, i wouldn't bother spending much more on parts with a longer life unless you a) have too much money, or b) can't be assed maintaining it every decade or two
>>
>>51554136
Let's assume budget is not factored in. The needs are for a water pump and some lights for an underground hydroponics grow box. The reason why it's underground is to experiment in a controlled environment, and outdoors is vastly uncontrolled. I've calculated the system to take 35-50 watts total (depending on the lights).

So I'm going to take 80-90 total wattage if that's the case. This system has to last about 50 years, maybe 100 years. If push comes to shove, on a cloudy or rainy day, I don't mind cycling for 20 minutes to an hour to charge the batteries, as long as the pump keeps running constantly. It can be a low voltage pump, I don't mind.
>>
>>51554678
making a system last longer is done by either using longer life components and/or overprovisioning the system (for example, you need 50 watts, if you make a 200 watt system, it can degrade as much as 75% before 'failing')
>>
I'm waiting until either solar panels are a few hundred or CNT panels are on the market, either works for me. Then again, I like the idea of self sustainability, owning a water tank, growing tomatoes (potatoes too if shit gets tough), fishing on weekends and brewing my own booze.

Back on panels, at the moment they're between 10k to 15k (with installation) and hover around 15%-20% efficient, the dirty secret about panels is they have a shelf life so after a while (to be honest I don't know how long) you need to buy more. This would be fine if they were huge levels of efficiency, like CNT are around 40% which is like owning your own early industrial power plant, but at the moment they're not.

>>51552848
>not Australian
Also, what's a battery? Selling to the grid?
>>
>>51552350
200 Ah @ 12V could be supplied by multiple car batteries
just charge them when there's energy, discharge when there's not
>>
most panels atm have a life of 25 years after which they lose their efficiency. so 50 years max. solar city ones are slightly better.
have you considered the new tesla batteries ?
>>
Growing weed at home ITT
>>
>>51555181
car battery it is then. Estimated 100 hours battery life sounds good to me. I'll get 2 to be safe...
>>51555260
I have considered them, but I'd have to import. They're not available in my country because our government banned them (south africa by the way).

200 watts is a bit expensive. But I suppose necessary and cost are 2 different things.

I'm still left with if i should go with a PV or St system though

>>51555356
Lel
>implying you need to do it underground these days
>>
>>51556054
look up gel and amg batteries too...
>>
File: T-105.jpg (297 KB, 1500x1557) Image search: [Google]
T-105.jpg
297 KB, 1500x1557
>>51556054
6v golf cart batteries are popular choices for small-medium sized solar setups, they are designed for solar/deep-cycle use as well
just use a string of 2 in series to get 12v
>>
>>51556054
It's not 100 hrs
50 W
12 V
48 hrs

I = 50/12 = 4.17 A
Q = 48*4.17 = 200Ah
>>
>>51556933
Ah my bad, I worked off 2 amps for the motor, and completely forgot about the lights...
>>51556411
nice, I'll check those out... I have a golf course nearby, maybe they'd have some second hand ones or at least tell me where they send their scrap
>>
>>51556105
Can't find any in my country. Seems like battery tech here is like from 20 years ago
>>
>>51557747
Nevermind found some... one company in all of sa. But agm is pretty common
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.