[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just had a pipe burst in my house merely feet away from my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: broken-pipe-full.jpg (107 KB, 470x264) Image search: [Google]
broken-pipe-full.jpg
107 KB, 470x264
I just had a pipe burst in my house merely feet away from my desktop while I was using it. I immediately covered the top intake, unplugged it and removed it from the room but how can I be sure no water got in?

I don't even want to even think about using it again till I can be positive there has been no water damage. What do, /g/?
>>
>>51538026
take out every single component and spray compressed air over it(to speed up drying)

thats about all you can do.
>>
>>51538026
take out each component and piss on them, urine does not conduct electricity so it's a safe way to clear any water.
>>
put the computer in the freezer overnight, any water will turn into ice, problem solved.
>>
>>51538026
Water doesn't actually conduct electricity. As long as it dries completely you should be fine. You would be in more trouble if you spilled something like soda, or if the water was extremely dirty.
>>
>>51538026
Pour a pound of rice into the case and wait 2 days before vacuuming out the rice.
Then turn it on.
>>
>>51538026
How'd you post if your computer is inop?
>>
I'd be more worried about the cause of the pipe bursting? Unless you live in a 3rd world country or don't have central heat (or don't turn it on), that simply shouldn't happen.
>>
>>51538026

Blow off everything with compressed air.
Put it inside a sealed bag with some sort of dehumidifying chemical.
Wait.
Remove the HDD.
See if it starts.
Act accordingly.
>>
>>51538026
>>51538077
Do this after wiping every component down with alcohol to clean it. Even clean water has impurities that can conduct electricity. Alcohol will clean it. Then you dry it. After completely certain its all dry(wait maybe a day I'd say, or overnight if you lay the components out on non static surface.

Test PSU while not plugged into any components. If you have PSU testing equipment that's awesome. Really cheap to buy one if you have money. Maybe like 15$.

Plug into motherboard and post with cpu and RAM. If all goes well start attaching other devices and hope for the best.
>>
Why dont you just opened it and check if water got in you autist.
>>
>>51538310
This is the kind of shit that makes me want to never visit g again
>>
>>51540342
>>>/wsg/838690
>>
>>51539898
Water damage isn't always immediately visible, retard.
>>
>>51538148
orly? Go try an experiment for me. Fill your bathtub. Hop in. Plug in and turn on a blow dryer. Drop it into tub with you and the water. Report back.
>>
>>51538026
If it didn't arc and spark you're probably fine. Open 'er up and let it sit for a day. Since you don't even know to do that, anything else you'd try is probably more likely to do harm than good.
Some water getting on a circuit board ain't a big threat.
>>
>>51540703
Not a lot will happen.

There are lots of YouTube videos of people connecting wires into a bowl of water straight from the outlet, and being able to put their hands in it just fine.

Supposedly, it only starts tingling when you're a couple inches from the wires.
>>
>>51540703
OK. Go try the experiment.
>>
>>51541193
Supposing there is sufficient distance between the wires, the water's resistance will place a load on the water, and it won't trip the circuit breakers, the water will probably get hot, but since electricity takes the shortest path, I would assume a tiny oval around the two wires is electrified, and even if you get zapped, it'd probably be your leg or arm, which has a high probability of being non-lethal, the real issue comes when current goes through your heart. (holding a wire in each hand)

The only thing dropping an electronic device that operates on mains in a tub will do is trip your breakers and probably ruin the device and the wires.
>>
>>51541193
It has to do with what's in the water.
When a pipe burst at my school, there was a shit ton of sediment from the ceiling which may well be conductive when dissolved.
>>
I am this anon>>51541333

>>51541336
Pure water has a relatively high resistance, and not even 500000~ volts AC will break it down. (They use that shit wash the HT transmission wires :^)). It's the minerals/general impurities that break into ions and turn it into a conductor.

It would be fairly logical to assume any water that flows in your dirty pipes are conductive.

source: electrical engineering
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.