[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>inb4 check wiki Is C a good first programming language,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: LDepOIr.png (14 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
LDepOIr.png
14 KB, 600x600
>inb4 check wiki

Is C a good first programming language, /g/?

I've had some experience with scripted languages (Python, PHP) and a tiny bit of C# to get my head around object-oriented programming. Many people I've asked laugh and say to learn Java or C++ for classes, I thought I'd be good to start on C before I worry about those.

Is it a good move learning a 40 year old language? Any textbooks? I know DMR's book is the bible but it doesn't seem good to learn from.
>>
It depends on the project. It's good for low level stuff where you need to do *everything* manually.

It's not very good for larger, high level programs.
>>
You should actually start with C++. C is deprecated and only studied nowadays to see how things used to be. Like when kids learn Latin in highschool/college. You'll never need it.
>>
>>51537441
>Is C a good first programming language
Yes. In my opinion, the best one to start. Some turboautist will ignore the fact that I just stated "in my opinion" and will come hit me with his Lisp and SICP, but having good knowledge of C has opened so many doors to me in my professional life I can't but recommend it.
>>
>>51537479
>It depends on the project. It's good for low level stuff where you need to do *everything* manually.

This is the reason that I wanted to start with it. But yeah, I don't have plans for large projects with it. I felt it would be good to learn how to interface with the OS, handle I/O and memory manually, without using inbuilt functions in the language like I have been so far.

>>51537480
>You should actually start with C++. C is deprecated and only studied nowadays to see how things used to be.
I feel for learning, it would be useful to start without classes though. But this is the general advice people have been giving me, that it's not worth it and I may as well just start out on C++.

>>51537484
>Yes. In my opinion, the best one to start. Some turboautist will ignore the fact that I just stated "in my opinion" and will come hit me with his Lisp and SICP, but having good knowledge of C has opened so many doors to me in my professional life I can't but recommend it
There's not a snowball's chance I'm learning LISP.
>>
>>51537536
Give C a try before going C++. Just for learning. C++ is -way- easier after knowing C well.
>>
>>51537484
>I feel for learning, it would be useful to start without classes though

Well, of course you're not going to use classes right from the start.
But C++ is superior to C even if you don't make classes.
C requires you to understand concepts that are way harder to grasp than classes.
>>
>>51537441
C is worthless in the year 2015. learn a relevant language like python or java.
>>
>>51537563
>C requires you to understand concepts that are way harder to grasp than classes
Yes, but C is like a "catch all" language. In a sense that, no matter what you end up doing after it, unless it's WAY too specific, you have probably dealt with it if you know C well.
I know I struggled with pointers and passing references when I started, but after I figured it out, it was out of the way. Now I work with microcontrollers and that knowledge is invaluable to me, even if we don't use C.

I'm not going to lie, I dislike a lot of things about C++ (for beginners), and wouldn't really advocate for it, but I see where you're coming from.
>>
>>51537480
Unfortunately this is complete bullshit.
>>
If I know absolutely nothing about programming where should I start if I want to learn C?
>>
>>51537628
Yes. You struggled with it. Instead of learning to program, you struggled with C.

This is one of the reasons why C is no language that you should start with. It's a language that you should know. You should know what these fancy modern languages are abstracting away from you. How things like polymorphism are actually implemented.

But it's not what you should begin with. You should begin with a language that doesn't require you to know 10 functions and understand what pointers are to do some basic string operations and console IO.
But by all means, learn C. It's probably going to be relevant for a very long while.
>>
>>51537698
Have always thought this one wasn't terrible:
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
>>
>>51537698
I don't like suggesting resources, but most people will tell you K&R
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C_Programming_Language

>>51537715
Thanks for literally picking one word of my entire post and ignoring the rest. It's enough to know I don't need to keep talking to a wall.

Good luck with your learning, OP.
>>
>>51537749
>I don't like suggesting resources, but here is a really terrible resource
Yeah go ahead and don't suggest resources. K&R is not a good introduction to programming.
>>
>>51537749
>Good luck with your learning, OP.
Thanks anon.
>>
>>51537441
Yes, it's an excellent language to start with.
It's pretty bare bones and not a lot of hidden abstractions, its syntax have inspired many other languages like C++, Java, C#, D, PHP, Javascript so learning C will allow you to pick up any of those fairly quickly.
It's truly general purpose (not just in theory, but in practice) you can programming anything from microcontrollers, kernels, system libraries to applications or even web apps. Practically all OS system level libraries are in C, so if you wanna use another language to interface with your OS you have to know some C anyway.
>>
Is there a good book like intro to programming that uses C?
>>
>>51537441

It's what a want to learn once I get advanced enough with Python and finish my project using it.

I think Python and Ruby spoiled me too much tho.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.