[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think Microsoft can do to improve upon their Windows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 7
File: Windows-10-Feature-Image[1].jpg (69 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Windows-10-Feature-Image[1].jpg
69 KB, 1920x1080
What do you think Microsoft can do to improve upon their Windows 10 operating system?
>>
Give edge extensions support.

Office for free.
>>
>>51535055

Remove botnet and installll Gentooo.
>>
When will we get another Windows OS that can run at 512MB ram?
>>
go FOSS
>>
>>51535055

stop treating users like 3 year olds and let them actually use their operating system
>>
>>51535109
>stop treating users like 3 year olds and let them actually use their operating system
way to ruin Windows. People are "3year olds" or retarded. They can't handle Windows as it is.

They should add a power user option, which is what they are doing with PowerSell, "oneget", native SSH and other stuff
>>
>>51535055
give DX12 to Windows 7
>>
>>51535055

Bugfixes

Extensions support for Edge

Remove telemetry and forced updates

Better settings menu, (read: go back to 7's setttings menus)

Easier interface configuration, more possibilities about what to change
>>
>>51535077
and webm
>>
>>51535077
This
>>51535081
Not this. Many more replies like this incoming
>>
>>51535092
At this point it's moot. I had 512MB in 2005. If you don't have at least 4GB RAM in this age, your computer is legacy.

If you need an operating system for those specs, I'm sure there's a minimal Linux distro to suit that need.
>>
>>51535055
-Remove data mining and forced updates. Every time I open my Win8 to Win10 laptop, I feel like I'm being fucked somehow just by using it.

-An actual unified platform to find settings for everything. They tried making a "settings app", but that shit only resulted in stuff missing from places where they used to be.

-Bring back visual elements. Opaque squares are not visually appealing like Microsoft thinks for some reason. Windows 7's Aero effects still give me eyegasms.

-Get rid of the metro-themes hyper colorful programs they so annoyingly call "apps". The full screen phone applications from Win8 that were put into windows in Win10. They look nothing like normal programs and stand out like a gay parade flamboyant marching homosex dude, costume and all, in a business meeting. I mean, look at the calculator. I feel sorry for what happened to it.

-Fix the "We'll do this action for you" mentality. My computer is my computer, my activities on my computer should be between me and it, not between me and Microsoft, or between Microsoft and my computer. This "user friendly :)™" approach tells me I should have a dialog with Microsoft instead of my computer, and it gives me the sense that I am no longer in control of my own PC. Straight from the install "We're setting things up for you, this won't take long" "Taking care of a few things". Sounds like car rental.
>>
>>51535332
you spoke from my heart.

God bless you Anon-kun. These are the reasons why I use Xubuntu nowadys.
>>
>>51535332
>"We're setting things up for you, this won't take long" "Taking care of a few things". Sounds like car rental.

They literally say Windows 10 is a service. It is not your operating system.
>>
No settings menu. Computers are not supposed to be used the same way as phones. No tablet crap.
>>
Literally nothing.
It's perfect as is
>>
>>51535371
I thought I'd get responses on the lines of "your a sperg". Cool, glad you could relate.

>>51535379
That's where their approach hinders the user and ruins the experience.
>>
can anyone explain actual tangible benefits of win 10 over win 7
>>
>apps
Stop that.
Also not needing to use regedit to get rid of the disgusting lockscreen would be nice.
>>
>>51535475

win 7 support is ending

that is literally the only one
>>
>>51535502
>4 years
>ending
>>
>>51535200
I was hoping that it would hog 512MB when idle.
>>
>>51535502
>>51535512
so it's basically nothing
thanks guys
>>
>>51535055
Remove botnet would be a start

Allow us to OC USB devices such as old mice, such as the intellimouse series

Remove bloat
Remove Botnet
>>
>>51535164
This is the only sane choice.

I don't need DX at all on my workstation so it's going to stick to Win7.
>>
>>51535164
yes, this one please
>>
>>51535055
Delete it, make something else.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.
>>
>>51535332
The first one and the last one are the most important ones.

Telemetry itself isnt a problem. Mandatory telemetry with no clear way to disable it is a problem. Plus, all data collecting that involves identifiable information should be possible to disable.

The ¨We´re settings things up for you¨ thing also annoys me. It feels like they want to take control of the computer from the user.
>>
>Less privacy invasions
>Overhaul the UI, fix inconsistencies
>Fucking font rendering
>Tabs in explorer by default
>>
>>51535055
improve filesystem performance
make the UI more consistent
fix the shitty unresizeable dialogs from 1993
stop bloating the explorer tree view with useless shit
add a global "default view mode" option to explorer
ban oem crapware
>>
>>51535486
The november update they pulled because it had some wifi related bugs, but promised they would make available within a month, lets you do this.

It also makes the title bars any color you want, which is nice too.

Also yeah give edge extension support or at least tracking protection lists like IE.
>>
>>51537109
>but promised they would make available within a month
It's up
>>
Fix their fucking retarded hierarchy in their company, so that the junior developers can actually fix shit without just slapping new shit on top, only to have that break as well by the time they stop caring.
>cmd and PowerShell
>2 fucking control panels
>2 handfuls of different ways to enable/disable/start/stop services, all of which people argue for/against due to their various quirks
>At least 5 layouts for context menus, some of which are not even consistent inside of themselves, appearance and colors aside
>scrolling in metro programs is still inconsistent as shit, with some sticks/touchpads not working with some buttons/gestures, but working almost normally with others
>scrolling in general is still choppier than on <FOSS OS I don't like> with Xorg
>GDI+ still slowing any programs people give a shit about to hell
>3 versions of DirectX are alive at once
>a large amount of the lower-level Win32 API in C/C++ is still undocumented, does not work as specified, or is studied and documented by hobbyists who are simply fascinated with its stupidity
>hilarious certificate system in which trusted root certs simply expire forever if MS doesn't replace them soon enough; this almost happened to all Windows versions a few months ago before the outcry
>none of the "real" certs can be viewed by the user without programs made by dedicated hobbyists
Then add an option to stop doing diagnostic telemetry. It's a waste, and it's too controversial. I haven't been able to set foot outside of Win7 because of how much of a shitstorm this thing caused.
>>
>>51536861
>>Fucking font rendering
The fonts are rendered at kernel-level. It's hilarious, and has lead to dozens of exploits, that MS has tried to patch out with varying success.
>>
>>51537205
font handling =/= font rendering
>>
>>51537205
I mainly care about how it looks.
Linux and OS X have effective and pretty font rendering for over a decade, and here I am using MacType just to stop me from vomiting.
>>
>>51537382
X11's font rendering is often easy to fuck up, and yet even that is easier on the eyes than Windows, even in the latest release. I just don't understand it.
>>
>>51535168
Just install this and re-open edge https://tools.google.com/dlpage/webmmf/
>>
File: Rare_3383a2_5582801.jpg (26 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
Rare_3383a2_5582801.jpg
26 KB, 420x420
>>51535164
>give DX12 to Windows 7
How hard is it to hack DX12 into Windows 7?

It can't be THAT hard, right? We hack into mainframes all the time.
>>
FOSS
>>
>>51537389
>X11's font rendering is often easy to fuck up, and yet even that is easier on the eyes than Windows, even in the latest release. I just don't understand it.

It's easy to fuck up, but at least it's properly documented, so you know how to unfuck it, or can learn how to unfuck it, or find a HOWTO easily.
>>
>>51537437
>we
>mainframes
>>
>>51537491
What I was saying is that even when it is fucked up and the user is too much of a novice to fix it, it's still somehow more tolerable than a ClearType setup that's been tweaked for hours.
>>
>>51537437
Even with this troll post, we never had dx10 for XP, so let that sink in for a moment.
>>
>>51537525

Oh, ok. Out of box font rendering in KDE (which used to be notorious for atrocious font rendering) is an order of magnitude better than ClearType.

Fuckin' scary if you ask me. I remember ripping TTFs from Windows disks for X back in the 90s. Because the free fonts were just awful.
>>
>>51535055
in the new settings panel i cant uncheck unwanted updates, some drivers are causing me troubles and i cant uncheck them
>>
>>51537618
Easy, update said driver to a newer one so windows update dont bother you.
Or search for "automatic driver" option that is the one that make windows update download drivers in the first place.
>>
>>51535486
>regedit to get rid of the disgusting lockscreen
you can use the Group Policy Editor

Source: I did it that way
>>
>>51537195
>>cmd and PowerShell
yeah, just how linux has one shell

oh wait, there's a shitload of them
>>
Remove telemetry and other cancer, give us full control over the OS and it would be perfect.
>>
Classic Shell.

Win Tweaker.
>>
File: 1SIx8Ka.jpg (77 KB, 511x606) Image search: [Google]
1SIx8Ka.jpg
77 KB, 511x606
>>51535486
You don't need regedit for that you silly faggot, just change it in settings.
>>
>>51535092
>>When will we get another Windows OS that can run at 512MB ram?

Hopefully never, because I'd much rather Microsoft focus on improving the latest version rather than making a version of the OS that will run on a Smart Fridge or BluRay player.

512 MB RAM, get the fuck out of here
>>
>>51535077
They have a free version of office in the form of apps.
>>
>>51535092
What for?
Or just use Windows 10 IoT if it suits your need.
>>
>>51535055
Nothing, it already sucks as bad as it can get. Sooo yeah.
>>
>>51537706
More info, did you remove it completely or just customize it? I need to keep it due to my son having his own account to play games on but would like to at least change the background image.
>>
Stop spying.
>>
>>51535055
Barebones, fast as fuck version for dual boot gamers or people that want to add their own bloat.
>>
They need to modularize Windows so that way updates can be more bearable and not always require a restart.

Settings need to have full control of all the options, none of this I still need control panel.

Make the store contain win32 programs.

New terminal that supports 256 colors.

Unify the ui better.
>>
>>51535332
This but flat design is generally good
>>
File: POO IN THE LOO.jpg (327 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
POO IN THE LOO.jpg
327 KB, 2000x1000
>>51535055
by pooing in toilets instead of on the streets
>>
>>51540941
I don't get it.
>>
>>51535055
Optimize it to use less memory
>>
>>51535055

Microsoft shills have no talent
>>
>>51535563
Define bloat

Regards,

Someone who has used win10 for a total of five minutes
>>
>>51535055
Make it POSIX-compliant.
>>
>>51539560
Not free on desktops
>>
>>51535055
Port/remake everything to WinRT, when Windows 8.1 support ends, drop win32 api from Windows 10 with all the legacy bullshit, break every "not Windows 10" Windows with an update, release critical security flaws that are in Windows 8/7/Vista, use their servers to infect every fucking not Windows 10 Windows system and break them. Lel.
That will force devs and users to use the Store, so Microsoft will have an WinRT app ecosystem that actually works.
>>
File: guarantee-it.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
guarantee-it.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>51535055

the next version of windows will be "open-source"
>>
Who /holding out/ with windows 7 here?
>>
>>51542254
I assume most people. The average /g/ user isn't stupid enough to install a literal botnet right?
>>
>>51541904
Cygwin, friend.
>>
>>51542290
>average /g/ user isn't stupid enough
anon...
>>
INSTALL
GENTOO
>>
>>51542560
nice meme
>>
>>51535332
S U P P O R T
U
P
P
O
R
T
>>
>>51535108
Only answer
>>
>>51542254
Gonna use Win7 as long as possible while slowly getting used to Linux.
>>
File: IC194164.gif (9 KB, 483x357) Image search: [Google]
IC194164.gif
9 KB, 483x357
Bring back the NT and 95 style installation. Not UI but the ability to literally pick and choose what is installed. I would love for a clean install without a single metro app without having to do a hacky removal that ends up breaking start and search.
>>
>>51535055
Go for privacy by design, i.e. privacy-respecting default settings, give better control over updates while keeping them automatic by default (for the stupid commoners). Most other things are OK I think, however I don't have Win10 myself to check.
>>
>>51535332
Good list.

I also have a lot of performance issues and random windows explorer crashes on the laptop I did upgrade.
>>
>>51535055
Roll back to release build. I had literally no issues with the release and now after their shitty updates I constantly have to fuck around with stuff to make it work.
>>
>>51535332
Damn, are you me?
>>
>>51543304
Enterprise edition comes without any of the metro stuff.
Not the same as being able to pick and choose, but still.
>>
>>51535055
by automatically uninstalling it from everyone's computers
>>
Old Start menu, seriously what the hell is this shit?
>>
>>51535332
>my computer should be between me and it, not between me and Microsoft

If you use Microsoft's OS, then Microsoft owns your computer, essentially. They certainly own the data, that bit is in the EULA which most people just click through.
>>
Become an Operating System instead of something that tries to be a Desktop Environment.

Until then, no dice.
>>
nothing
kill windows, its the cancer of computing
>>
>upgrade to windows 10
>amd drivers i had for 7 fucked my computer up, constant bosd
>run amd driver wiper
>computer works
>start downloading amd drivers for windows 10
>1/3 of the way loadjng
>bosd
>restart
>stuck on loading
>restarting does nothing, still stuck on loading

Fuck windows 10, what did i do wrong?
>>
>>51545993
Windows has such a shit upgrade system. When I used tech preview and got a new release the system would fuck up and a clean install would fix every issue.

It's funny that my fedora install has a more stable upgrade system then windows will ever see.
>>
Add a CLI package manager that isn't garbage, Remove Botnet. Other than that, It's pretty good.
>>
>>51535055

Open source everything from DOS and Win 3.11 through WinXP, Win 7/8.1 and 10.
>>
>>51546057

I have 3 drives, if I do a clean install can i not wipe everything from my 2 drives without windows installed on it?
>>
>>51546057
>It's funny that my fedora install has a more stable upgrade system then windows will ever see.
No, what's funny is that 90 times as many people (at least) use Windows compared with all varieties of Linux on the desktop. That's before they started to give Windows away free.
>>
>>51546057
Upgrade isn't the problem, it's your dirty-ass OS. I've upgraded maybe 25 machines to Win10 now, only had issues with 3. Two were Dell Inspiron which unless you update BIOS, you get no video, and last one didn't stay stable for more than a week, so we did a fresh install and so far so good.
>>
>>51546180
This desu senpai baka
>>
>>51535055
>What do you think Microsoft can do to improve upon their Windows 10 operating system?
>microsoft
>caring about windows being good
>>
>>51535332
>not loving flat design
>wanting skeuomorphism back

holy shit go back to 2007 you ingrate.
>>
Trying to imagine what would happen if all cds with windows suddenly became empty and all hds with windows became formatted
>>
>>51535081
This. Many more replies like this incoming
>>
>>51546143
Yes, if you're worried you could always disconnect the other two drives, clean install then reconnect them. In the custom section for installing the partitioning lists them as something like Drive 0 partition 1/2/3 ect, Drive 1 partition 0.

>>51546180
But how stable are they? All the ones I upgraded suffered from some sort of breakage. Mostly either start menu not working or settings app non functioning.
>>
File: 1445824844596.jpg (49 KB, 363x359) Image search: [Google]
1445824844596.jpg
49 KB, 363x359
>>51535165
This so much. Even though I like Linux (and free software in general), I really liked using Windows. Windows 10 seems like a real step backwards with Microsoft for all the mentioned reasons. I wish they would get with the times with this shit.
>>
>>51535055
Delete it, purge it from every record they have, then re-issue 7 as Windows 11. Accepting the update is of course compulsory for consumers.
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.