[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>can't upgrade CPU cause waiting endlessly for Zen >can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: cigarfrog.png (218 KB, 600x579) Image search: [Google]
cigarfrog.png
218 KB, 600x579
>can't upgrade CPU cause waiting endlessly for Zen
>can't upgrade gpu because Pascal and next-gen HBM cards aren't here yet
>no point owning more than 8GB RAM or buying redundant DDR3
>processor power progression stalling all over the place
>4K is not nearly ready for widespread adoption
>everyone is buying heavily into the phone and tablet fad
>even laptops are seen as cumbersome and only necessary for work needs
Desktops are pretty much dead.
>>
>>51532836
I too know this feel

I'm still on a Phenom 2 and HD4870
>>
Save me from this feel.
>>
>>51533025
staying at this level is probably why the market has stagnated

also because of dipshits like intel figuring out retards will pay for 0-5% performance increases even if it's a 30% increase in price just for the ability to overkek
>>
>>51533025

Can a Phenom 2 seriously encode 3 movies at a time without hiccuping when doing other shit? Serious questiin. I been on my 8350 fir a couple years and forgot what it's like to have a shit cpu.
>>
>>51534129

> 8350 fir a couple years and forgot what it's like to have a shit cpu.

Probably because you've never known what it's like to have a decent CPU.
>>
I've been sitting on Ivy Bridge ever since it came out, I literally see no reason at all to upgrade, same with my Kepler Nvidia cards.

>win 10 buttnet, no games, so fuck dx 12
>therefore no reason for Maxwell

Gonna sit on my Win 7 Pro, i7 3770, and GTX 680 4GB for a bit longer.
>>
>>51534145
AMDpoors btfo
>>
>>51534222
>waste of trips

fuckoff shitposter
>>
>>51532836
dumb frogposter
>>
>>51534239
>caring about post numbers
here's your reply
>>
>>51534249
tongue my anus faggot
>>
>>51532836
desktops arent dead and never will be
just because normies are dumb I dont see why this "Desktops are dead" has to be a meme
>>
>>51534145

>probably because

What are you talking about? My 8350 can do that without a problem. Not sure what you read that you didn't comprehend that.
>>
>>51532836
dumb frogposter
>>
>>51534218
This is literally my exact config. I've been considering upgrading everything so I can go from my current 150 constant fps in CS:GO to like 400.
>>
>>51534368

To have the perspective of what it's like to have a shit CPU you first must have had a shit CPU and then upgrade to a decent CPU so you can formalise what is a shit CPU.

The FX 8350 is beaten by the Phenom series in single threaded performance while having higher gigahertz per core.
>>
>>51534505

So you're saying if I drop my fx-8350 for a Phenom i would be upgrading?

I wasn't asking about benchmarks either. I could google that instead if asking 4chan.
I did anyways and your phenom > fx-8350 statement seems incorrect.
>>
Die shrinks and increased core counts have reached the point of minimum returns. We can't raise clock speeds anymore because of heat. The only thing left until we have some other substrate is architectural improvements. I don't think desktops will ever die though. If anything, we'll get more players making CPUs SoCs and GPUs now that more people can compete.
>>
>>51534719
Why don't we move on to multi-cpus in mainstream devices?
>>
>>51534461
Why would anyone need 400fps in anything? Are there even any 400Hz monitors?
>>
How would you rate the i5-4440 in the standards of today?

I don't plan on upgrading soon but it does have me wondering.

Speaking of which what's currently the most powerful PowerPC cpu on the market? Inclusive of the ps3 cell as well.
>>
I upgraded to 980 Ti and i7 6600k right now.
>>
>>51534145
Savage af
>>
>>51532836
>Desktops are pretty much dead.
desktops are going the way of linux

not dead, just finding a niche

>poorfags who can't upgrade
>high performance professions (anything CAD, anything with data crunching)
>muh science
>>
>>51535236

it's fine for me. i'm tempted to upgrade to the 4790k but is anybody really gonna buy my used 4440 for a decent price?
>>
>>51532836
>>even laptops are seen as cumbersome and only necessary for work needs
you can blame the manlets for that
if you can't carry a 15" 5 pound laptop in a bag then please kill yourself
>>
>>51535351

preach!
>>
>>51534218
That's not really a bad thing. Upgrade when you feel comfortable and ready to part with your machine parts.
>>
I've been thinking about moving to an i7 from my 4670k, but can't decide.
>>
>>51533212
it's exactly why the consumer market has stagnated

we passed a baseline usability threshold nearly a decade ago, and most people will happily run on core 2 chips until Jews somehow manage to bloat facebook out to the point that they need to upgrade to a used Nehalem system instead, and it's killing the industry

lots of /g/ for some reason believe phones and tablets are killing the desktop, but the reality is that declining sales doesn't really mean declining interest, there's just simply no reason to upgrade anymore for a basic home use case
>>
>>51535213
because it's uselessly expensive and a waste of power
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.