[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opinions on Safari
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: safari-icon.png (925 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
safari-icon.png
925 KB, 1024x1024
Is Safari a good browser? I've recently started using it and it's been a bit uncomfortable after many years on chrome and chromium.

Any of you guys actually using it as your daily driver? Sidebar or favorites bar? What are your go-to extensions? How's website compatibility? Is it faster or more efficient than chrome or firefox?
>>
Safari is the modern IE.
>>
>>51523493
best browser on macbook. insanely fast, responsive, great battery life. full screen with no address/menu bar too. paired with tweaked gesture controls via better touch tools (like adding a gesture for tab cycling left/right and refresh) it is bar down the comfiest browser on OSX
>>
>>51523493
>What are your go-to extensions?

u-block. that's it. you really don't need anything else unless you are severely autistic
>>
>>51523780
that would be Edge, poojit. also poo in the loo
>>
>>51523493
what's the point of safari? is there any benefit to using it compared to just installing firefox?
>>
>>51523855
firefox is a steaming pile of shit on OSX for one (not that it isn't much better on windows). it's also dated as fuck
>>
>>51523855
Firefox is horrible on OS X. I'm sure it's great on Windows and Linux but on OS X you p much have to choose between Chrome and Safari.

I've used Safari since 2012 (OS X Lion) and it's a decent browser with some great usability features but it just doesn't work with some sites like Mega, or anything that uses WebM without H.264 fallbacks. I've been using Chrome more and more these days.
>>
>>51524055
I can download off Mega on Safari just fine
>>
>>51524055
And webm is a fucking meme. The only site that uses that shit is this one.
Despite recent improvements Chrome is still a battery hog. And it doesn't have true fullscreen
>>
>>51524109
Do you have Flash installed? Some sites use Flash for HTML5 features that Safari is missing which is kinda hilarious when Apple was so big on killing Flash
>>
>>51524172
God no. I haven't had flash on any machine I own since 2013
>>
File: IMG_1209.png (4 KB, 205x166) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1209.png
4 KB, 205x166
safari = IE of 2015
>>
>>51524219
And like I said mega works fine as does every other site I visit
>>
File: image.png (309 KB, 1340x1188) Image search: [Google]
image.png
309 KB, 1340x1188
>>51524254
Good for you I guess, I just took this screenshot today
>>
>>51523493
Safari doesn't rape your battery like Chrome does
>>
>>51524356
>no html5 features
>no flash
bravo apple
>>
>>51524356
>using an outdated version of safari
>>
File: image.png (105 KB, 792x620) Image search: [Google]
image.png
105 KB, 792x620
>>51524478
Sure
>>
>>51524126
8ch uses webm and it allows sound webm site wide.
>>
>>51523493
Safari is good when you are on battery power.
If you're plugged and you prefer other browser there's no real reason to use it.
>>
>>51523831
>being this severely autistic
>not using the native adblock
>>
>>51523831
What about Google Image Search?
>>
>>51524126
>And webm is a fucking meme. The only site that uses that shit is this one
Once edge starts supporting webm things will probably change
>>
>>51524595
No it won't. It's had all this time despite chrome being top browser and gone exactly no where. Also no one will fucking use edge
>>
>>51523493
Safari is a great browser, it does everything a modern browser does, and more and better.
>>
>>51524777
but h.265 is literally dead because of licensing costs

Once vp10, daala, thor, AOMedia or whatever else comes along finally gets finished the only sane thing will be to move to one using webm as the container.
>>
>>51524356
welp could have sworn it worked, mega must have changed something. doesn't matter though as it's an edge case. for the once or twice a month i need to visit mega i'll just fire up opera, no big deal. safari is still the superior daily driver
>>
It's decent, just lacking in extensions.
Only extensions I use are Ixquick and JS Blocker 5. I wish I could get a cookie manager and httpseverywhere.
>>
>>51526234
This desu. Having a godzillion cookies even with the most strict policy is upsetting.
>>
Is there a decent content blocker extension with whitelisting support yet?
>>
>>51526315
>Having a godzillion cookies even with the most strict policy is upsetting.

autism confirmed
>>
>>51526339
back to facebook you go
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.