[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/SQT/ Stupid Question Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: 1386542578527.png (76 KB, 250x200) Image search: [Google]
1386542578527.png
76 KB, 250x200
Old one's over 300

I installed Linux mint of my pc and after installing NY drivers I noticed it was 32 bit. So I go download the 64 bit version and boot it up and install it. But now Linux recognizes that my Ethernet cable in connected but won't connect to internet even though it was working fine on the 32 bit version
>>
guys, what >antivirus would you recommend? had eset and ran the exe of top piratebay win loader and got fucked like multiple trojans were detected yet still had tons of shitware installed and literally formated the hard drive the next minute because i was afraid it would leak into my hardware
>>
how can i make a clickable div in an HTML page to open my chrome download page? I tried
 <a href="chrome://downloads" /> 
but no dice

>>51523494
>getting an antivirus from anywhere except the official site
got what you deserved
i recommend malwarebytes, manually scan once a month or so.
>>
What is the best motherboard manufacturer?

I want to stick it with asrock, but I'm not sure at 100%.

Is there a better MB with Socket LGA 1151 compatible with DDR4 and full-ATX?
>>
>>51523808
>What is the best motherboard manufacturer?
"best" is a meaningless, subjective buzzword.

Asrock motherboards are good btw. If you never had problems with them (like me) stick with it. Affordable and stable.
>>
>>51523899
Well, then I think I have to say "which manufacturer has the best MB for a 110€-150€.

I saw the Asrock Z170 Pro4, for 121€. But I feel like it is gonna fail me in the future no matter what. I know it is a retard though, but the PC I'm building have to be great in the next years, like my actual has being. What do you think?
>>
File: NoScript.png (1019 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
NoScript.png
1019 KB, 1920x1080
why so many scripts?
>>
Any reccomendations on power banks for laptops and smartphones?
>>
File: implying_codecs.png (57 KB, 1936x1066) Image search: [Google]
implying_codecs.png
57 KB, 1936x1066
>>51523384
Tried installing an .ape codec into foobar2k

It doesn't seem to work. What did I do wrong?
>>
I have a bunch of files in a folder that I want to upload to the cloud but can't because most of them have 1 or more space characters in front of the filename. How to remove those spaces from each file at once (on Windows)?
>>
>>51523961
Revenue from ads and data collection.
That's why telegraph and all those shit-tier media outlets shit out so much clickbait articles
>>
>>51524440
Batch rename.
I don't know if windows has this feature, but if it doesn't there's probably a 3rd party tool to do it.
>>
How to spot Samefagging?
>>
>>51524470
yep found it, Bulk Rename Utility
>>
>>51524625
there's a method floating around /g/ to see if it's samefag or not, but I strongly suspect it's a trick to get you autobanned
>>
I'm gonna be getting a new hard drive and I'm going to be splitting it into 3 different partitions instead of just having one partition for everything and I'm wondering how I should size them. One partition will be for Windows/games (will probably be the biggest), one for Linux, and a data partition for me to keep my shit and have encrypted. I'm not sure how much space I'm going to need on each though, any idea on how I should set them up?
>>
Is there anything stopping me from buying a few 5tb external Seagate expansions and using them internally? They're £90 on amazon atm which is incredibly cheap.
>>
>>51524839
>tell me how much space I need
>I don't know how much space i need

Kek
>>
>>51524839
brotip: if using uefi you will also need a gpt partition, which is ok since your doing only three others but windows has some sort of limit where it freaks out over more than four partitions on a disk

>>51524843
depends on how easy they are to get apart and if it can be done without damaging the drive, then the only limit should be your mobo and psu connections
>>
i5-6600K or i7-6700?
>>
>>51524899
I didn't think there was anything stopping me. Just seems odd that external drives are so much cheaper.
>>
File: 1386877287554.gif (83 KB, 371x388) Image search: [Google]
1386877287554.gif
83 KB, 371x388
How come on my Android device my Twitter feed is full of images, but the same feed on my computer most of the images aren't there?
I've looked in the options but to no avail...
>>
Good monitor for under $100?
>>
>>51524925
OCed i5-6600K will beat i7-6700 in games
>>
>>51524968
thank you
>>
>>51524891
I'm wondering if there's there's a way for me to estimate that or to organize the partitions so that the size could be adjusted easily. I have an idea of how much I'll need for Windows and my games (plus some room for expansion), but this will be the first time I'll be actually installing Linux (more than likely will go with Mint, at least to begin with) and planning on using it full time when I'm not playing games.
>>
>>51524989
If you're not sure then leave some room on HDD for Linux and boot mint off a USB until you know.
>>
Are there any mobile math apps that would show steps of integration of an expression?

Asking for a friend.
>>
>>51524989
Mint is a very good choice IMHO. Go for it.
>>
>>51524989
why do you need partitions, not just folders
>>
>>51523384
i have a 16GB usb stick that i use with the readyboost technology. I also have 32 GB of RAM and i think it's useless using that usb stick. am i right or it's really speed up my computer?
>>
>>51525158
is readyboost even anything other than placebo?
>>
>>51525158
it's not going to do anything. USB is way too slow for improving that.
>>
>>51525170
>>51525167
it's usb 3.0
but i think you are really right...
thank you
>>
File: 1438793424893.jpg (15 KB, 352x177) Image search: [Google]
1438793424893.jpg
15 KB, 352x177
>>51525105
>Windows in one folder
>Linux in another folder on the same partition
>>
>>51524989
Just make an educated guess or use lvm and resize
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/extendlv.html

>>51525158
readyboost slows your computer down considerably.
It uses a flash drive as extra swap space!
Using an SSD as swap is too slow enough, using but sending that over USB is really slow.
>>
>>51524839
if you're planning to access your data partition from both windows and linux then I suggest formatting it as ntfs, as for encryption, I"m not sure it can be done and still be accessed from both systems
>>
>>51524966

Used Samsung Synchmaster.
>>
>>51525255
>as for encryption, I"m not sure it can be done and still be accessed from both systems
There are cross platform methods of file encryption.
>>
>>51525425
did not know that
>>
File: file.png (260 KB, 500x432) Image search: [Google]
file.png
260 KB, 500x432
This is something I've always wondered regarding GPUs. There are a few GPUs that are effectively two GPUs in one, such as the 9800 GX2 being two 9800s and the 295x2 being two 290s. I also know that a good number of games do not work properly in SLI/Crossfire. So my question is, would these dual GPUs also face the same issues? Or since they are a "combined" unit, they don't face the same problem?
>>
>>51525514
I had a 9800GX2, yes the issues still persist, it's still two GPUs.
>>
>>51525514
It still has the SLI / Crossfire issues. The solution to combining them is just inside the card as opposed to on the outside / through PCIe.

TL;DR - if you don't know exactly why you need 2 GPUs, stick with the strongest single card solution. SLI/Xfire is almost always a shit show. Even in the cases where it works the scaling performance sucks.
>>
I've heard that the Windows 10 installer allows you to choose the version that you want to install,like Pro,Home and Enterprise.

Is that true?
>>
>>51525529
>>51525592

That's another thing, why are so few games properly optimized for multi-GPU systems? Not even talking about efficient/perfect performance scaling, some games can outright break with two GPUs. Is it some sort of arcane magic to make SLI/Xfire optimizations? I realize that PC games are already a small niche, and optimizing SLI/Xfire would only affect a small number of people, so I'm assuming the reason why it's not supported as much is because "why bother."
>>
Umm I'll try again I guess

Is the r9 390x as bad as they say it is (does it really run unbearably hot) and if so what manufacturer should I buy to at least help mitigate the heat? I assume a triple fan setup like sapphire tri x would be best. First pc so yeah
>>
Did i dun goofed? I slowly pushed my 750ti oc to 1540mhz core and 2840 vram without changing the voltage manually. I only got minimal increases in unigine heaven even though it displayed my clocks. But every website i looked had them clocked at 1300 max... And yes i'm new to OC'ing.
>>
>>51525879
I should add that the computer restarts itself 2 times before actually starting and the card runs at 40 celsius under load with fans at 60%
>>
File: F9opUMl.jpg (76 KB, 1302x855) Image search: [Google]
F9opUMl.jpg
76 KB, 1302x855
windows 10 won't update for me
I think it might be disabled for some reason
how do I fix?
>>
>>51526286
didn't they pull the update because word got out it renabled all "telemetry" settings?
>>
>>51526286
you're the choosen one. there's nothing to fix!
>>
>>51526330
>>51526335
No like, it hasn't updated since release
>>
>>51526349
not to sound like a dick or anything but have you tried googling the error code?
>>
Are there any graphics cards with a performance similar (or better) to the 6950 but cheaper, more efficient and quieter?
>>
Why can't the Linux community just get on board with Red Hat and make an actual competitor to Windows?
>>
>>51526412
developers are lazy and not get done anything when there's no money involved.
>>
>>51526425
also most decent programmers/devs have personality disorders that make working successfully in large groups impossible
>>
>>51526412
Why would anyone want to compete with windows?
>>
File: IMG_20151125_160929170.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151125_160929170.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1456
I was cleaning upy gpu, and while I disassembled it I noticed this switch. What does it do?
>>
>>51526425
>>51526474
They should stop making so many fucking special snowflake distros and focus on making more shit compatible with CentOS.
>>
>>51526523
What's the GPU?
>>
>>51526523
bios switch, if you switch it it could unlock noncertified cores or enable higher overclocking. what card is it?
>>
>>51526543
>>51526578
It's a Radeon Hd 7950. It's a powercolor one if that makes a difference.
>>
>>51526630
The switch turns the card from full power mode to economy/quiet mode.
>>
>>51523384
can i plug my phone into the "line in" blue port on my mother board to play music from my phone to my computer?
>>
>>51526793
should work no problem, I can't think of any reasonable reason for it not to
>>
>>51525655
Because shared workloads between GPUs are implemented in a hackey way to make the application utilizing them think it's one card. That's why the memory is mirrored across them.

DX12 may streamline multi GPU loads and we might actually see some excellent uses for multi GPU set ups in the future. That could just be wishful thinking and Microsoft blowing smoke up our ass, but we'll see. They even allege you could combine the performance of two completely mismatched cards directly through PCIe.
>>
Ive been looking into getting a new hard drive to use for video editing so I don't keep clogging up my main one with random wedding videos and shit. It's been a while since ive looked at the market. What does /g/ recommend I get? I'm looking for at least 2TB.
>>
>>51526412
>Why can't the Linux community just get on board with Red Hat
They do.
It's called Fedora
>>
>>51526942
HGST DeskStar 3tb
3TB is sweet spot price/capacity
HGST DeskStar best hdd.
>>
>>51526942
I really wouldn't go larger than two terrorbites because as drive size increases and data on the drive increases, a failure becomes that much more catastrophic
>>
>>51526963
Fedora is nowhere close to the same thing.
>>
My laptop died so I took the HDD out and plugged it into another computer with a USB cable. The drive showed up as 4 drives instead of one USB device, there's one local drive partition and then 3 small ones for HP recovery stuff or whatever

After backing up my shit, I want to format the thing to get a 320 gig external HDD. Do I have to do anything special to unify all partitions into one or will it just happen if I format the main one?
>>
>>51527023
It surpassed Windows like 5 releases ago
>>
If me and a friend are using pidgin XMPP with OTR and I send him a file is the file encrypted with OTR?
>>
>>51527077
open gparted, delete all three partitions and make a new one.
>>
Wait a second, how does the 4chan archive image search work?
Surely the image hash would change whenever saved due to the lossy compression of jpegs?
>>
>>51527277
>not using the video sharing plugin and streaming him a video with encoded data
>>
>>51527294

Don't you mean delete all four?
>>
>>51527313
ya
>>
>>51526523
>>51526543
>>51526578
>>51526630
>>51526761
I just reassembled my computer and googled it. It switches the bios mode. http://powercolor.com/us/techzone.asp?id=5

Would this switch being left in the stock position explain why when I tried to overclock using MSI afterburner my pc would just randomly crash? I only raised the clock speed up to the speed of the HD 7970, which according to most sources should be easily be attainable under stock voltages.
>>
My laptop charger died and I needed a replacement urgently and it seems like nowhere sells the OEM charger anyway so I bought a generic universal charger. The laptop is an ASUS N550JV which comes with a 19V 6.32A (120W) charger, but the charger I bought is 19V 4.74A (90W). It's working right now and it seems to be charging slower than normal which I expected, but should I be worried that the laptop will try to draw too much power and overheat or kill the charger or is the laptop smart enough to limit how much power it draws? I'm keeping an eye on the charger to make sure it doesn't overheat but I want to know if I should really be concerned.
>>
>>51527198
Does it still use X?
>>
2.4GHz with 5 bars or 5GHz with 4 bars? Does that one bar mean anything?
>>
>>51527357
Could be.
>>
>>51523384
How do I change img save location to SD card for the clover app
>>
>>51527371
You have a 4.74A charger for a 6.32A device.
Your device cannot draw more power than the charger is able to output, it doesn't work that way.

No you won't kill your laptop.
As you noticed it charges slower and if you put it under heavy load the charger might not be able to keep up with it.
But you won't damage the charger and you won't damage the device.
Just wear the battery quicler.
>>
is it possible to get 3g reception when you don't have cell reception on your phone? or do they use the same transceiver (or whatever)?
>>
My SSD is going to arrive in a few days, and I want to transfer my Windows 10 onto it, however I want it to stay on my hard drive as well. If I transfer it, will it stay on both drives?
>>
A while ago my laptop suddenly heated up, fan went mental, blue screen, everything fucked. It's been running hotter ever since.
I wasn't even doing anything special. I don't suppose there's any common causes for goddamn spontaneous combustion?
>>
>>51527491
if you clone the drive, then the drive you cloned stays the same and you have an iso you can put on the other drive and it'll be the same. windows may want you to reactivate thogh
>>
>>51527492
>I wasn't even doing anything special that I was aware of

ftfy

You may have gotten some sneaky malware that's abusing the shit out of your hardware without you noticing
>>
I need to write a really basic password feature for my uni coursework, using C++. Literally just something along the lines of:

string storedPassword = "password123";

void admin ()
{
string password;
cout << "Enter password: ";
cin >> password;
if (password == storedPassword)
{
// Do something
}
}

Problem is, we lose marks for using global variables, but we also have to be able to change the password. How can I achieve this? If I define storedPassword inside the function, it'll be reset every time admin() is called.
>>
the situation: I have several hard disks on my pc, I'm running windows 7, C is my main disk as usual, but my computer uses the "desktop" from E as the desktop for the actual desktop

question: I'm trying to organize it all, and I want the "desktop" file from C to be the actual desktop. how do I change it?
>>
>>51527659
What you need is to create a completely new class and do all your shit there.

class Password
- private string pass
+ public void setPassword(string p)
+ public bool checkPassword(string p)

If the Password class has its own password string, it's not global. That's what he wants from you.
>>
Guys if i install ubuntu will it be a pain in the ass to connect to the internet?
>>
>>51527875
It depends. Is your laptop (if you are installing on it) equipped with a Broadcom adapter?
>>
/r9k/ here
im trying to use omegle through a vpn but it keeps giving error connecting to server
ive tried cyberghost and hola extension for chrome with multiple different servers within them and nothing seems to work
have already tried deleting cookies and reconnecting my wifi
what do?
>>
>>51523384
So I'm trying to get this PDF file of "Starting Out With Python 3rd Edition by Tony Gaddis" to convert it a EPUB/AZW3/MOBI file format to be read on my Amazon Kindle Fire HD. Knowing how garbage converters seem to be, is there any way of getting a perfect conversion from pdf to the formats listed above?
>>
>>51524989
I don't have a windows partition so this might not work but could you just make a ntfs partition to store music/videos/etc to that you'll use on both os's. Then just make a 10-20G linux partition and expand as needed later
>>
>>51527894
Just installing on a old pc, hoping it would make it go a bit faster with it
>>
Another question about SSD's
Along with the drive itself, I've also ordered a USB to SATA converter. If I were to use it on my SSD, would it be OK to just connect it and lay it on the desk?
>>
>>51527951

I once installed Ubuntu (I think it was version 12.10 or something back then) on my old Compaq Presario and it automaticaly detected everything internet related, didn't have to do anything
>>
Anyone know how to fix GPU Scaling not wanting to turn on in the new Radeon Settings? When I try to turn it on, my screen goes black, shows that its on, then switches to off on its own.
>>
>>51527984

Yeah, why would there be a problem?
>>
>>51527995
well let's say i install Ubuntu, will i lose out on every game that doesn't run on it? i can only play linux games?
>>
>>51528022

There's that thing called Wine but I never used it so I don't know how well it works
>>
>>51527849
thanks senpai
>>
>>51528029
Whats the best linux for gaming?
>>
>>51528100

Dude I don't know

I've only used Ubuntu, it was like 4 years ago and I did 0 gaming on it
>>
How do you stack windows in i3 while also having stuff side by side?
>>
How big (or noticable) is the difference between the iPad Air 1 and iPad Air 2?

I'm going to buy my mom an iPad as a birthday present (she's always wanted one and she only likes Apple products, so it will definitely be an iPad) but I'm not sure which one to buy.

I have about 500€ to spare and the iPad Air 1 would cost me 350€ (16GB), the Air 2 would cost me 440€ (16 GB), that's a 90€ difference.

If I decide I'm going to buy the Air 1 I could go for the 32 GB version (399€) though I'm not sure if it's worth it. She won't watch movies on it or anything, she'll mostly just browse the internet and use it as a PC (I'm serious).
>>
How do I tell if the i/o slots on a case will match that on a motherboard? There see to be so many variations. And how does the display even connect to the computer? The cases I'm looking at don't seem to have VGA or HDMI
>>51528192
The only differences that'll matter to her are the finger print sensor and better SoC of the Air 2. I'd get her the Air 1 and tell her not to update it.
>>
>>51528186
Watch the presentation video on i3, all shortcuts are explained
>>
So I want to build a cheap box with lots of space for drives for additional storage for my windows server.

I have a g1610t lying around and figured I might as well use it. Is it really as simple as installing windows server on there and iscsi role?
>>
>>51528286
>The cases I'm looking at don't seem to have VGA or HDMI

Those are in the motherboard or the graphics card, silly
>>
Computer just reboots after some time. It just turns off and back on again and keeps repeating that in a cycle before even reaching windows in the bootup. I have to shut it down completely and turn it back on so I can start normally again. Which part could be broken?
>>
>>51528286
Thanks senpai. I think I'll do that, the Air 2 is really not worth the upgrade since she will be a total casual and won't even play games on it, just read.
>>
>>51528416

Had the same problem once and it kinda went away by cleaning the PSU

Could also be faulty RAM
>>
How do you disable graphics card driver in Mint?
>>
>>51528427
I think I will do that then. Never cleaned it before. Thanks.
>>
>>51528410
Wait, are the USB slots on a case not just holes for the motherboard's to stick out? I feel dumb now
>>
File: asus_P7H57DV-EVO_2 (1).jpg (43 KB, 550x262) Image search: [Google]
asus_P7H57DV-EVO_2 (1).jpg
43 KB, 550x262
>>51528466

Bro the USB "holes" on the case are just USB ports.
>>
>>51528007
Just tried uninstalling and reinstalling using DDU and that seems to have fixed the scaling option, but scaling still doesn't work. Seems to be an issue that other people are having with Windows 10.
>>
>>51528506
Well, damn. Thanks
>>
The laptop my father was using as a desktop shat the bed. I don't know why, it just did. Opened it up, no signs of damage. Tried a spare power brick I had laying around, nothing. Motherboard is dead, apparently.

So, for about 200 USD in my shithole I can get an Athlon 5150 with 4GB of RAM. I've got a really old, shitty case I can put everything in. Use a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter and slap the HDD from the netbook in there, buy one of those cheap grenade-tier PSUs to power it all and be we're done.

Literally all he does is web browsing. Since it's in the living room, I may or may not decide to also hook it up to the new TV we're getting so I can run Kodi on it, meaning it may be running 2 1080p screens simultaneously. However, it really doesn't get any more stressful than playing 1080p video, that's way beyond what my father needs it for (reading the newspaper, youtube, and porn).

Now, the questions are;
>Will this rig run well for what I'm planning to do? I'm very fucking sure it will, but I just want to be completely sure.
>Electricity in my country is utter shit, with frequent short blackouts and the rare brownout. How scared should I be with buying a shit PSU? Any PSU with an 80 Plus rating goes for the same the CPU+Mobo+RAM do, because my country's economy is ridiculous, so I'm pretty much going to go with a ticking time-bomb anyways.
>>
Is appchanx not working for anyone else?
>>
What's the best/easiest PNG optimizer?
Large file sizes are starting to bother me
>>
File: 1387649463136.gif (3 MB, 300x180) Image search: [Google]
1387649463136.gif
3 MB, 300x180
I'm thinking of upgrading to a GTX 980 from a GTX 670. Should I hold out for a new line of cards or is now a good time to upgrade? I'm also running a i7 920 at 3.2ghz. I haven't noticed any performance issues that require a cpu upgrade, I'm just wondering when I should expect the need to upgrade? I'm really far out of the loop when it comes to parts. Thank you for your time.

Also please don't suggest any AMD products, I've had too many issues with their products in the past to consider purchasing from them again.
>>
What's the best program for recording my audio output?
>>
>>51528416
RAM
PSU
motherboard

Check the temps first.
>>
I am trying to setup a dual drive system using a WDBlack2 where Data is on HDD and core OS is on the SSD while retaining permissions and settings in OSX 10.8

so far I have tried
>symlinks
>moving User folder via advanced

does not fix what I am trying to do.
>>
What's the best free software to convert files? I've been using Format Factory but I'm not entirely convinced by it.
>>
>>51529033
ffmpeg
>>
>>51527849
Wait, this still doesn't help. I have to create an instance of the Password class in a function, meaning it'll still reset every time that function is called.
>>
so I used to have XP, but then my friend and I built a new gaming computer, and we installed windows 7 on it.
we put in the old harddrive from the old computer, even though I bought a new one too. and it had all the old shit on it.

I've back that up, and I wanted to just have it in case I ran out of room. HOWEVER, it seems like it's living its own life. It continues to create "My X" folders over and over, even if I delete them. how do I reset it and make it part of my new computer. it seems like it's still on XP thinking it's the main disk.
>>
>>51529221
to clarify:

when I built the new computer, I also got a new hardrive (C:)
that's were we installed windows 7

we then put the old hardrive in (E:) to have it as a back up, but it's as if it still is in XP and think its the main library folder tree

pls respond
>>
Is there an easy (straight up retard proof) way to stream video files from my laptop to my tablet?
>>
>>51529347
You need to reformat that old drive, anon
>>
Is it normal for a pc to restart a couple of times really quickly and then actually starting afer overclocking the gpu? If not whatdid i fuck up?
>>
>>51529426
thanks pham ^_^ that worked
>>
Is Directron legit? I want to buy a case from there, but I've never heard of this site.
>>
File: wtf.jpg (9 KB, 517x47) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
9 KB, 517x47
>>51523384
Does anybody know what causes this and how to fix it on windows?

I have a few mp3 files that are ~30 minutes long, but they display as four minutes long, and I can't seek/skip properly with them
>>
What's the best 1080p flatscreen tv and blueray player for the least amount of money? i just want something i can watch movies on with my grill
>>
>>51529704
What player?
>>
>>51529821
Get a 30$ Asus BW-12B1ST for your computer, a 5$ hdmi cable, and spend whatever you can on a screen.

Consider going to local stores to see the tv in action.
>>
Probably a loaded question, but I need to switch over to a linux environment for a project I'm working on. Is there a distribution that's preferred for use as a dev station?
>>
http://eq10q.sourceforge.net/?page_id=16

Im really new to linux and I want to use this program. After figuring out how to do the steps listen on the page without getting any errors I now can't fucking figure out how to launch the program.

Im on Ubuntu 14.04.
>>
>>51529848
fixed it with vbrfix

though every one I tried had the problem - vlc, windows media player, a few on android
>>
>>51527895
another robot bumping this, pls help
>>
I downloaded what is supposed to be a mp4 video file and it has no file extension. Even if I add the extension, MPC will not play it. I tried opening it as an archive and that didnt work either. What could have been done to it? The header data whatsit couldnt have been mysteriously stripped, could it?
>>
>>51528676
Bump?
>>
Can you rec a good FOSS Android RSS reader?
>>
>>51530106

If you buy a cheap-ass shit PSU you're playing the lottery so yeah, expect it to fail any time with possibly catastrophic consequences to the rest of the PC
>>
>>51530084
it's cp coded as a corrupt video file
>>
File: 0B5KLoE.jpg (83 KB, 1363x704) Image search: [Google]
0B5KLoE.jpg
83 KB, 1363x704
What am I missing as far as video players go by using the default windows app?
>>
>>51530062
maybe try running omegle through pidgin and use it's proxy/vpn settings?

>>51530012
dunno the exact steps but you shouldn't have to do it manually, synaptic has an option to install from local source, so just point it at the tarball or extracted file or whatever synaptic wants it to be and let it do the work

>>51529390
enable the windows media sharing features and you should be able to see/browse/stream content from your tablet
>>
i'm in high school and want to go into hardware engineering.are there any recommended reads into electronics or hardware that would be good? I have a basic knowledge of hardware but would still like to research as much as I can before uni. thanks for anything
>>
File: 1437414141303.png (834 KB, 789x859) Image search: [Google]
1437414141303.png
834 KB, 789x859
Anyone have that foobar skin that makes it looks like groove music/edge?
>>
>>51530542
search deviantart or ask around at hydrogen audio
>>
>>51530572
thx senpai remember to switch to edge master race when the extensions update comes
>>
What do I do with a dead laptop?

The motherboard is fried and I don't think there's any use for the CPU and GPU but the screen, speakers, keyboard and dvd drive are probably completely fine. I'm keeping the HDD and maybe thr RAM.
>>
>>51530808
yeah, dismantle it for parts you can use in the future or sell on craigslist
>>
Can someone link me to an article about how the connection between the graphic card to the monitor works?
>>
File: 1374046525873.jpg (65 KB, 463x465) Image search: [Google]
1374046525873.jpg
65 KB, 463x465
I want to learn what are the indepth differences between Devil's Canyon and Skylake. I specifically want to know about any new technologies included in the chip and/or chipset.

If I even attempt to google for information I get shit made for retarded people like "Why the new skylake U-family CPUs are good: your laptop now lasts 5 million years on a battery"

Please. Or at least give me a good source to learn the in depth stuff.
>>
>>51531137
more and smaller transistors
>>
I've been coding in Java with eclipse for a while now. Eclipse is fine and does everything I need, but is there a better Java IDE out there?
>>
>>51531274
I mean as in technologies such as memory protection extensions...
>>
>>51524625
Spongebob.
>>
>>51523384
What can i use to run/test my ruby code. im to new this
>>
I have a WD external drive I formatted from Mac to Windows, I skipped all the steps past simply reformatting the filesystem however, to NTFS or whatever.
My main problem is not being able to eject it, if anyone is skilled enough google-fu to find that original tutorial, or diagnose my problem a bit more accurately I'd be grateful

It's full of shit now so I can't just wipe it anymore, WD mybook 2(1.8) terrabyte for mac.
Also, expecting non mac users to get that it's a mac drive because it's called Mybook is fucking retarded
>>
should my power supply's fan be making a creaking sound after like 3 months of use? Seasonic m12II 520w
>>
Is there a context-aware editor that can do class/method/variable look up for a variety of languages (e.g., C++, Java, Python)?

>inb4 Eclipse; I want to program, not endlessly configuration.
>>
File: 1432439645300.png (539 KB, 900x582) Image search: [Google]
1432439645300.png
539 KB, 900x582
Hiya /g/!
I'm new to buy Gpu's but when a Strix version of a 970 with a higher factory clock costs more then a to a non factory overclock normal version form gigabyte, you're only paying for the brand and better cooler right? Because you can just overclock it your self to beat it.

Thanks!
>>
File: temps.png (7 KB, 449x137) Image search: [Google]
temps.png
7 KB, 449x137
Why is there such a big difference between CPU Package and CPU temperatures?

Which one is more relevant?
>>
Can someone post the image about the improvised backlight with a lightbulb?
>>
Someone give me a good analogy for Intel vs AMD and Nvidia vs AMD, but with cars.
>>
One last try, asked this before but is there any way at all I can get photos off an iPhone with a broken screen? It's my mom's iPhone, I've never used one before myself so don't really know what tools are out there. Is there some way I can get it into a recovery mode or something that will allow me to access the data? Haven't been able to unlock it due to screen being broken on iTunes so far, and can't even figure a way to fully power the device off because I need to swipe to turn it off and just holding the power button seems to trigger a reboot.
>>
>>51532677
You have it hard there.
Intel = V8 Truck.
Amd = Tsuru.
>>
>>51532684
you might see if the screen works well enough for you to put it into disk mode, or is that just an ipod thing? what happens when you hook the thing up to a computer?
>>
>>51532684
go to the apple store. they might be able to help.
>>
Is getting a bluray player for the computer viable yet? Is there plugins/open source solutions that will let you watch blurays in a non-shit player?
>>
>>51532706
>disk mode
Not sure what you mean, but I cannot perform any touch inputs on the screen at all. (It displays perfectly, but the touch element is completely dead.)
>>51532710
I told her this, she went there twice. The first time she talked to a random floor employee, they said "nothing we can do since the screen is broken." I told her to go again and talk to an actual tech person, she got the manager and he said "oh just go to itunes and preferences and find your newest backup" but she never made an iTunes backup so that advice is useless too. I would have assumed they'd have some maintenance tool that could bypass everything and quickly transfer the files off, but either they do not have such a tool or were too lazy to pull it out for this occasion.
>>
File: 1347491957413.jpg (571 KB, 456x628) Image search: [Google]
1347491957413.jpg
571 KB, 456x628
>>51523961
>tfw a site isn't working correctly and you have to figure out which bullshit to unblock
>>
>>51532706
Oh, as far as when hooking it up to a computer, it asks me to enter the PIN in the phone to unlock it. Since I can't do touch inputs this is impossible. I do know the PIN and could enter it if there were some way to do it from my computer.
>>
>>51528100
The best linux for gaming is a computer that allows you to do a pass through, and to have windows installed on a virtual machine so you can just bring it up when you want to play video games.
>>
>>51532700
Can you do it with based on Japanese diiifffftuing cars based on features/luxuries?
>>
>>51523384
is black Friday the best time to buy a r9 390?
>>
>>51532794
not really
black friday is pretty much a non-event at this point
>>
Just upgraded to Windows 10 on my T420, and now the scrolling on the trackpoint doesn't work. I've been searching 'round for a solution and I'm not finding shit. What do?

in b4 >windows 10
>>
>>51532892
You did install the driver for it, right? A lot of the time trackpads will need a special one for some features to work.
>>
How do I look for a mobo?
>>
>>51523494
Avast and malwarebytes
>>
>>51532908
first decide what cpu you want or at least narrow it down to socket type, then it's just a matter of preference, what kind of memory does it suppor, is it usb3, how many sata connection, etc...
>>
Does the new season of Noragami pick up from right after where the first season left off? Or is there a gap in between? Already noticed the second OVA for the first season skips way ahead in the story. Haven't started the second season yet though.
>>
Looking for a new case for my pc. It is a mini atx if I'm not mistaken and it is really cramped and the airflow sucks. Is it fine if I get a bigger case, like a full atx? Since my mobo is mini, will I have problems securing it in place in a bigger case?
>>
File: memo.png (35 KB, 1015x626) Image search: [Google]
memo.png
35 KB, 1015x626
Should I increase my pagefile size to 100 GB or buy more RAM?
>>
what steps do you need to take when installing a new boot drive/OS into an old PC? I have a new SSD and copy of windows, and i want all traces of the old hard drive gone in this setup

seems like an obvious question, but googling never gave me a straight answer
>>
>>51532997

M$ recommends you page file be 2X physical memory. I believe Russinovich or somebody stated that making it any bigger is a bad idea.
>>
>>51532952
Thanks anon. Wasn't sure if more expensive necessarily meant anything or not when it came to mobos. I only knew to look for same socket type.
>>
Should I use Logical Increments or PCPartPicker for computer part buying? I've only had laptops prior and I want to build a good computer now.
>>
>>51533279

pcpartpicker for everything
>>
Who do people see linux software centre? whats stopping any of theses developers uploading virus's and malware and such through it?

Since its not really maintained by a company how can you have any confidence that what you download is clean and has been tampered with? (inb4 open source)

For example: Chromium in the ubuntu software centre.. who has compiled that and who has hosted it?
>>
>>51533066

forgot to mention, what steps if any do i need to take to make everything work fine with the new OS?
>>
>>51533279
Both
they don't really do the same thing
>>
>>51533239
more expensive usually means more features like overclock suppor, raid support and possibly a higher supported memory
>>
>>51533348
Canonical looks over what goes in I think.
>>
File: pci-card-wifi[1].jpg (77 KB, 450x400) Image search: [Google]
pci-card-wifi[1].jpg
77 KB, 450x400
I'm building a computer soon and I don't know much, other than I know it has to be wireless, I won't be able to run a wire from my router to the case. What's the difference between a smaller dongle I just plug in to USB to get wireless, as opposed to an actual card stuck on the motherboard? I'm tempted to go with the dongle because it has pretty decent speed as far as I know, but some people have told me that dongles are trash. Why?

TL;DR: Which is better, wireless card, or dongle?

Following are two for example, the dongle is the one I was interested in:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G15X1650&cm_re=TEW-804UB-_-33-156-467-_-Product

And the regular card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA67S3599569
>>
>>51533550
Cards will generally work better than dongles
>>
>>51533600
But why?
>>
>>51533662
PCI interface is better than USB, dongles have to fit all the electronics and antenna in a much smaller space.
>>
Can someone tell me the pros and cons of AMD, Intel, and Nvidia? Why I might want to buy one over the other?
>>
>>51533846
CPU:
AMD: Decent performance for multithreaded applications on a budget
Intel: Best performance but comes with a price premium
Nvidia: n/a

GPU:
AMD again with the performance on a budget, Nvidia currently occupying the performance crown, but it could change with any generation
Nvidia employs a number of anti-competitive strategies and proprietary shit to make their cards appear to perform better in some instances.
Intel: it works if you have nothing else
>>
File: BgIO66dIcAAoMVi-820x420[1].jpg (77 KB, 820x420) Image search: [Google]
BgIO66dIcAAoMVi-820x420[1].jpg
77 KB, 820x420
so reddit is pretty much the best/cheapest/safest way to get windows 10?
>>
Regex to find dubs please. I know how to find dubs with JavaScript already.
>>
>>51533923
So all it really comes down to is AMD just being a budget kind of component, but not necessarily bad either?
>>
>>51533965
Fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>51533387
>>51533066

bump
>>
>>51534072
it looks to have cheap keys and is probably safe

am i missing something

haven't paid for a windows in ~10 years, i don't know how stuff works
>>
File: debian-openssl.png (696 KB, 1351x2641) Image search: [Google]
debian-openssl.png
696 KB, 1351x2641
I have a perfectly good three-wire case fan, and a motherboard that only supports PWM control. As a result, it sounds like a fucking jet engine.

Can I make it into a four-wire fan as simply as by splicing a transistor into the + wire controlled by the missing terminal?

>>51533066

Remove the old hard drive.
Install the new SSD.

>>51533348

I don't know if the "Ubuntu Software Center" includes proprietary garbage like skype, but generally all the software in Linux distribution repositories will have been compiled by the distro's maintainers. There could be hidden issues like the Debian OpenSSL fiasco, but outright malware would never make it through.
>>
>>51525514
Older games won't have crossfire support, I have a 295x2 and you can manually activate crossfire for all games in catalyst, but only get 2 if you want to render out an animation project or something and still do gaymen
>>
how do I get 2-3 people to make a game with me
>>
Is the Nvidia 920m (2GB) better than Intel HD 4000? If so, by how much difference?
>>
>>51534360
money
>>
>>51534360
your game idea probably sucks. so you'll have to pay them
>>
>>51534393
I want to do a project, it can be their idea for a game
>>
>>51534413
I mean if you're going to be doing all of the actual work you could find plenty of people to feed you their shitty ideas.
>>
>>51534367

> discrete graphics
> mobile

It's better if you hate battery life and love housefires.
>>
>>51534413
should be real easy then
>>
>tfw stuck on AMD Driver 14.10 because they wont make new one for Win 8.0
I just wanna try Crimson ;_;
>>
File: 123423412341.jpg (148 KB, 607x583) Image search: [Google]
123423412341.jpg
148 KB, 607x583
>>51534450
So is gayming performance better in the 920? Pls no bully
>>
Got back from uni today on break. My computer has been sitting here since september. It was running a windows 10 preview build, and wouldn't boot until I changed the system date because the preview "expired". I should have a valid key I can use, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to put it in, and it doesn't seem like windows update is going to update the preview build.
>>
>>51534596
Its about 30% better, but a 30% increase from 10 FPS is still only 13 FPS
>>
>>51534613
Alright, thanks anon
>>
File: lol GE - LSD.png (2 MB, 1558x966) Image search: [Google]
lol GE - LSD.png
2 MB, 1558x966
How come on my Android device my Twitter feed is full of images, but the same feed on my computer most of the images aren't there?
I've looked in the options but to no avail...
>>
With intel chips, from what I understand:

i3 are dual core with hyper threading
i5 are quad core
i7 are quad core with hyper threading

and as the numbers increase, so do the cache sizes.

But what about the laptop (mobile) versions of the chips? I see a lot of i7s are dual core, so what difference is there with an i3?
>>
File: Screenshot (1).png (35 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (1).png
35 KB, 1280x1024
Display won't go to 1920x1080 after I reinstalled windows 8.1 It was working before, but now it can't be set to that resolution. not sure what to do
>>
>>51534985
Just going on relatively arbitrary branding doesn't tell you much, it depends on which particular models you're comparing
>>
>>51535027
>>51534985

Do they not follow a general characteristic? I assume the above is true for desktops, but is there no pattern for laptops?

>This assumes we aren't comparing a HQ chip with an M or U chip etc
>Just a bog standard i3 with an i7 for example
>And the same generation
>>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889354915 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889262402
>>
i need to install windows
i know 10 is shit, but which is better, 7 or 8?
>>
>>51535228
10 isn't shit
people only hate it because they're overly attached to 7 start menu and muh botnet which can be disabled, go for it
>>
go for 10
10 > 8
>>
>>51535024
did u install gpu drivers?
>>
How do I run a custom start page in my browser?
>>
>>51535450
Well just direct it to
file:///C:/Anon/myStartPage.html
>>
File: photo.png (39 KB, 270x271) Image search: [Google]
photo.png
39 KB, 270x271
If I were to start a project euler thread, would it go in /sci/ or /g/?
>>
>>51535538
sounds like math to me
>>
>>51534367
i have a 630m, which should be a lot worse. the performance gain compared to the integrated intel card is immense
>>
why does 4chan have no humour board
>>
does enabling g-sync require more resources?
>>
>>51535678
but thats every board

>>51535683
no
>>
File: worksonmymachine (1).jpg (10 KB, 150x145) Image search: [Google]
worksonmymachine (1).jpg
10 KB, 150x145
>>51528689
>>
why was reddit written in C
>>
File: gwx.png (335 KB, 481x468) Image search: [Google]
gwx.png
335 KB, 481x468
How do i stop this annoying piece of shit from popping up|? every couple of minutes it will pop up even though i close it.
>>
>>51535678
the ylyl threads on /b/ are pretty good.

the are the /tech/ humor threads that are frequent (or once where) on /g/
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.