[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What programs do I need to learn to get hired as a web designer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 1426515402773.jpg (59 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1426515402773.jpg
59 KB, 500x500
What programs do I need to learn to get hired as a web designer?
>>
>>51522752
>learning
they are all pretty much the same nowadays outside of standard libs and build tools.

javascript is the only one you need though.
>>
File: IMG_1265.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1265.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>51522752
Web Designer is a shitty job.

The costumer hates everything you like
You hate everything the costumer likes

In the end you have to do what the costumer pays you for so you always design shit that you don't like.

Have fun.
>>
>>51522821
Oh so like 99% of the jobs. Cool.
>>
Joomla and Wordpress
and you need to have access to Stackoverflow

that's all I know and do and I make $400 a week building simple sites for local small businesses
>>
Recursive Fizzbuzz with file input/output
>>
There is absolutely no reason to become a web designer, unless you're looking for a good excuse to complain about ridiculously low wages, parents' friends' friends who "heard you can make a website for them; They'd pay you $30" and being replaced by pajeet who does your work for 3 cent per hour.

You need to know backend stuff. And then, if you have the choice, do NOT learn PHP. It may be the most used language on the web, but that doesn't mean that most applications are done in it or that you will be paid well - it will only mean that most CMS are written in PHP.

Don't learn Node either, even though it may seem logical, considering you already know Javascript. It's a meme that nobody takes seriously. It only gets you those "We'll pay you a TON if our website ends up being successful!"- jobs, that will end up hardly paying anything.

C#, Scala, Python, Ruby, maybe even Java. Those are the languages to learn.

As for programs... You don't need anything in particular. Generally, if you want to use an IDE, use one from Jetbrains. Not free, but absolutely worth it.
Never use WYSIWYG editors. Maybe in the future, when web components and flexbox are natively supported everywhere...
>>
>>51522821
wtf m8. the customer is paying why would you be pissed that the project goes his way.
>>
>>51522963
Not him, but it's annoying when you can't tell if what you're doing is good because to you, it looks like shit regardless.
>>
>>51523010
can't you guys work on a mock up and then agree on a final project before starting?
>>
>>51522933
>There is absolutely no reason to become a web designer

Decent wage for a low effort job. Isn't that a reason?

>parents' friends' friends who "heard you can make a website for them; They'd pay you $30"

I lower my hourly rate from $40/h to $20/h for family. I don't even lower it for friends. Just set standards and don't be a dip.

>being replaced by pajeet who does your work for 3 cent per hour

They said that 5 years ago too. Meanwhile, local business just keeps booming. People will always put their trust in local companies with good reviews and an impressive job history. If you're being replaced, your work just want good enough.

>do NOT learn PHP

PHP is one of the most versatile back-end languages on the web right now. Yes, it has its flaws and there are a plethora of ways to use it in a bad manner, but there is also an upside. Laravel/Symfony are great frameworks and help you circumvent the downsides of the language. I like to view it as a messy and disorganized toolbox with 3-4 brokent tools in it. All you have to know is which tools to drop and how to use the other ones.

Also, PHP devs are in great demand and get senior MVC & OOP PHP get paid a lot.

>Don't learn Node either. It's a meme that nobody takes seriously

Node takes like a week max to learn the basics and those basics will take you a long way. It's a great tool for certain tasks (RESTful API's come to mind) and it's just damn handy to have in your skill set.

It's almost as if you're not a real, employed web dev but just an anon that gets his meme opinions from /g/ and /reddit/.
>>
>>51522752
literally just a web browser
>>
File: 10205.jpg (94 KB, 728x1092) Image search: [Google]
10205.jpg
94 KB, 728x1092
>>51522752
>get microsoft word
>make a text and fill it with content
>upload it on the web
>2000$ easy money
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.