[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My bro's computer is such a piece of shit. LIke a real piece
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 1448247502321.jpg (32 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1448247502321.jpg
32 KB, 480x640
My bro's computer is such a piece of shit. LIke a real piece of shit.
As far as I know it only runs Windows XP, and it started getting viruses. Since all my bro does it is play retro games, and any retro emulator he could possibly need I can easily get for Linux, I thought I would install an Ubuntu partition. I got part of the way through the installation process, and then it just fuckin' stopped with no indication of continuing.

Bored, I just reset the machine and gave up, but now it fucking blue screens every time I turn it on. Since my bro is on vacation in California, I have until Friday before he gets back. What should I do? Since the ever reliable ever accesible Ubuntu won't even fucking work on his shitmeister (Let alone Windows 7) and I can't find the XP disc that was used for his machine, what can I do?

I don't think he'll care about using a different OS, as long as he can play his retro games, so is there a reliable Linux OS I can install?

I've already tried
>Ubuntu
>Linux Mint with Debian
>Kali Linux (Before you ask, I just had it lying around, and decided what the hell. Doesn't work)

I've heard of something called Damn Small Linux. Is that worth trying out?
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>51520331
Is that really likely to work on his machine or are you just memeing?
>>
File: red-star-3-2015-01-02-13-50-04.png (431 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
red-star-3-2015-01-02-13-50-04.png
431 KB, 1024x768
install red star
>>
>>51520269
Posting the model/hardware would help.
>>
I hope your brother beats you up for destroying his PC when he comes back from his vacation.
>>
>>51520841
>Posting the model/hardware would help.
It's Dell with 40GB of Harddrive space, and an Intel Processor. I'm a dumby, so if that's not enough info, tell me where on the machine to look for more useful info.
>>
>>51520944
No model name anywhere on the case? Knowing the hardware config would really be important, it's very likely it's a compability issue that can be fixed.
Anyway, you can just torrent Windows and install with a USB pen if you don't have a CD.
>>
>>51521114
Assuming that thing can boot from usb, kek.
>>
>>51521150
Why wouldn't it be able to boot from USB? My old PC from 1999 is able to do it, I doubt he's talking about a >15 years old computer. Hell, it runs XP.
>>
>>51521167
>I doubt he's talking about a >15 years old computer. Hell, it runs XP.
Close. It's actually from 2002.
>>
>>51521114
>No model name anywhere on the case?
On the side it says "Model No: DHP"
>>
>>51520269
>Since my bro is on vacation in California, I have until Friday before he gets back. What should I do?
Nothing. Don't fuck with your family or friends computers behind their back. Even if you think you're "helping them".
>>
>>51521365
>do nothing
>bro comes back
>bro can't boot into computer
>beats his ass
Not too smart a move.
>>
>My brother's machine worked perfectly fine for what he wanted to use it for, but being an autistic /g/ user who has deluded myself into believing I am good with computers, I installed a shit-tier babby's first GNU/Linux without his permission.
>Now that there is no hand-holding installer GUI to fix everything for me, I come running for help.
>>
Try puppy linux or Xubuntu
>>
>>51520803
Not even fucking around, I installed that in a VM, gave it one (extremely throttled) core, 128MB RAM and it worked almost flawlessly. With some work you can even shitpost on 4chan!
>>
>>51521631
Thread is here, for anyone interested:
https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/50903962
>>
>>51521586
Don't ever install this. It's backdoored by the korean government
>>
>>51521809
Redstar OS isn't.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.